1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I am sure I don’t need to explain that some women have a less conventionally “feminine” appearance than others. By all accounts, Kristina seems to have been one such woman. I think the Firaxis artists would have done her and us a huge disservice to have altered her appearance to satisfy a few naysayers online.

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I hope she smells better and doesn't latch onto my heels like a leach. :p I might be a cat person...

I don't know much about Curtin's or Wilhelmina's personal affairs, but Teddy and Vicky don't exactly scream piety to me. :p

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Note: Women are plus-sized, full-figured, and curvy. It's empowering that they eschew conventional notions of attractiveness. Only men are obese or fat. It's just a sign of being an unkempt slob and letting themselves go, and they should really get themselves to a gym.

Seriously though, I think it is weird to still have "hottest leader" threads, and I don't feel they're made more palatable by virtue of having one to objectify both both males and females. But I am working form the position that they are intended in jest, given how cartoonish VI's leadrs are. It's like rating the sexiest Team Fortress 2 character.

Ondolindë and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  4. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I was specifically referring to the Wars of Religion. Ed designed two games on them: Here I Stand and Virgin Queen. In Virgin Queen or one of its scenarios, you can select the major powers led by the following leaders: Suleiman the Magnificent (Ottoman Turks), Philip II (Spain), Elizabeth I (England), Catherine de Medici (France), Maximilian I (Holy Roman Empire), Henry Navarre (Protestants).

nzcamel, TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  5. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Warlord

I'm late to the party due to being busy, but this civ is very strong.

If this civ came out today in Rise and Fall they would be Tier 1 or S Tier strong for sure.

That unique unit is stronger and better than people think. If you have ever been locked into a heated deathmatch with either the AI on high difficulty or multiplayer using Mongolia, you can appreciate a stronger anti cav unit to help break that attrition. Having good anti-cav units or just having several of them corps/armied, prevents you getting tank rushed doing wonders against a blitz preventing you from getting overrun. Shaka is good for this too if another player wants to rush you while you are fighting with Army A against someone else.

Being a culture powerhouse makes for good flexibility to catch up on science much faster if you are not a chopper/exploiter as well.

The leader looks like a cross between an Aspergers Syndrome afflicted cocker spaniel and basset hound mixed puppy, but whatever. I kinda could care less about that. I mostly care about the gameplay for the most part I guess and the civ design makes it easy to overlook her.

I wonder when they are going to let us know about the original leaders changes. It would be great to get a look at those before release so we can theorycraft and build tier lists for fun.

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

If you're human, you instinctively analyze other humans' appearances, and our minds are programmed to interpret "human" liberally, so I don't think it's that strange. That being said, I've chiefly thought of those threads as being about the quality of the model and not literally how attractive the individual is; the latter would be rather...shallow.

7. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I prefer a mix of both. To the extent a civ's uniques make it easy for both a new player and the AI to play well, then it's a good civ to play as when you're starting and a good civ to play against later on.

TahamiTsunami and steveg700 like this.
  8. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Queen by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India?

Victoria was a "broadminded" Protestant. She was the head of both the Church of England (Episcopal) and the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and as such she would attend both churches regularly. She was anti-Catholic and "feared" Papal inroads into England.

Theodore Roosevelt was also definitely a Protestant and a devote church-goer (he attended weekly). He thought all Americans should attend church as well to build moral character.

nzcamel likes this.
  9. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

...But then you make a disciplined decision as to what to keep to yourself, or at least not express irresponsibly.

When you're discussing "hotness", you're doing more than discussing the quality of a model. Indeed, some participants ostensibly speaking to hotness are transparently focused on demeaning those leaders who possess qualities they find unappealing. It's a canard for "who's the ugliest" or "no fatties" or what have you.

I get that some people think it's cute, but I don't think the joke is as evergreen as some think.

Sweden's not more or less appealing to me because of the leader or the model for said leader. I guess you could say the leader influences the leader ability, but with Kristina it seems perfectly generic. I mean, not having to theme your museums to get a theme bonus? What the heck is that? Theming is mechanically is one of the few things about the culture victory that actually feels like, I dunno....a game!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

11. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

Thanks, Eagle!

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Pretty sure Curtin will found Catholicism in game as his default, if he is able too. He attended a Catholic school when he was a boy but I think later he became atheist. Anyway it's nice to have more Protestant Civs and I hope Sweden will be because that will make 5.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I guess because of my upbringing I have a hard time associating either Anglicanism or Calvinism with piety. :p "Broadminded" and "piety" are kind of antonyms to me. :p

Naturally, though I do have a certain affection for people who over-share--probably because I have a few hundred layers of filter, so people without one fascinate me. :p

I really like the civ's design--it's a civ I see myself playing a lot. I also really like the personality they gave Kristina in game. But I do still feel that choosing her sort of undermines the reason for including Sweden in the first place. If all they wanted was an unconventional female leader from Central Europe, I think Maria Theresa and Austria would have been a better choice.

Curtin never founds anything in my games because I have Australia disabled. :p

nzcamel and TahamiTsunami like this.
  14. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

It is just weird to me that we don't have any civ biased towards Judaism. Well, I know the major civ for that would be the ancient Israel kingdom, but we won't get them from official sources never, but some others could have Judaism as prefered religion. That is why when I play Gilga I usually found Judaism, because it feels to me he is the closest, at least geographically. Maybe Phoenicia could be Judaism biased too, but I am not sure. It is just weird that a really important religion in history doesn't have any civ in game. That is off topic though.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Not going to say I mind attractive characters. Lelianna is still my girl. Even if it's completely unrealistic in a RPG where they are routinely getting into physical combat. But that can be taken too far like with the representation of Isabella in Dragon Age 2 (she was more subtle in DA: Origins). I won't even get into how ridiculous Flemeth looked in DA2. :lol:

As for Kristina, she's fine. They probably made her more attractive than she was in real life. But they also did the same for many male leaders in this game as well. I like her curls in her hair.

nzcamel, TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  16. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

TahamiTsunami, Siptah and Zaarin like this.
  17. Potworny

Potworny Chieftain

She's cute I don't know what are you all people on about.

TahamiTsunami, Julia97 and CivLuvah like this.
  18. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Gilgamesh was very, very distant from Judaism theologically. :p Honestly, if I were to pick the closest civs to founding Judaism, I'd say Greece (there were a lot of Greek converts, ergo the Septuagint), Egypt (Hellenized Egyptian converts and Hellenized Jews like Philo of Alexandria), or Persia (I'm pretty certain Cyrus is the only Gentile called "God's Anointed" in the Bible).

Closer, but still not close.

There are really only three choices: Kingdom of Israel, Kingdom of Judah, and Khazaria. Jews have spent the majority of history as minorities in other lands (a topic which Civ just blissfully ignores--not Jews, minorities, which have often played significant roles in civilizations).

Well, there goes Canada. :p

Kjimmet, nzcamel, tedhebert and 3 others like this.
  19. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm guessing Russia.