[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Gilgamesh was very, very distant from Judaism theologically. :p Honestly, if I were to pick the closest civs to founding Judaism, I'd say Greece (there were a lot of Greek converts, ergo the Septuagint), Egypt (Hellenized Egyptian converts and Hellenized Jews like Philo of Alexandria), or Persia (I'm pretty certain Cyrus is the only Gentile called "God's Anointed" in the Bible).

I know, that is why i said geographically closer. Cyrus is a good bet, for his role in freeing the jews from Babylon, even referenced in the Bible. But indeed there is not any civ in game that could be a good Judaism biased civ.

Which brings us to another topic, that some civs don't have any good religion for them in game, that fits them historically. But that is the problem with only having a few named religions in the game, all the rest being some random patterns and customizable names. That doesn't bother me at all, I just find it interesting. Civ doesn't mirror the real life at all, though some people want it to.

I know, that is why i said geographically closer. Cyrus is a good bet, for his role in freeing the jews from Babylon, even referenced in the Bible. But indeed there is not any civ in game that could be a good Judaism biased civ.

Which brings us to another topic, that some civs don't have any good religion for them in game, that fits them historically. But that is the problem with only having a few named religions in the game, all the rest being some random patterns and customizable names. That doesn't bother me at all, I just find it interesting. Civ doesn't mirror the real life at all, though some people want it to.
There's a very good mod called "Historical Religions" which adds dozens of additional icons to the game, but I'm fine with the devs sticking to the major ones (though they could still have added a few more, like Chandy's Jainism or Manichaeism, which historically was of huge importance in northern Mesopotamia and Central Asia).

So, assuming no changes are made to Scotland's abilities for Gathering Storm, it seems to me that by the early midgame Sweden very easily surpasses them overall. They'll have roughly equal production of Great Scientists and Engineers (seeing as it's not common you'll have too many Ecstatic cities at that point, they'll both be getting +1 great scientist or great engineer points from their campuses and industrial zones respectively) but Sweden also has bonuses to the diplo game. And I don't think the 5% extra science and production in Scottish cities (10% in some) will make a huge difference at that point. Anyone else feel these two civs will play too similarly?

Did anyone found out some clues as to when the UI unlocks ? feels decisive to me in order to assert sweeden's potential.

@ShahJahanII

Scotland's ability work really earlier. Grabbing a lot of early Scientist and Engineer is wonderful: +1 Science from Libraries, +2 from University, a burst of Science next to mountain/wonder, a lot of Eureka and an early powerful Medic is nothing to laugh. Same thing towards wonders production, instant walls, Culture from Workshop and some Eureka from Great Engineer.

Yes, when both Sweden and Scotland will have University and Factory, and Scotland only have happy population, +5% Science/Production may not compete against +50 DiploFavor per Great People. But Scotland will have the University earlier and will produce Factory faster than Sweden anyway so Scotland will snowball harder because the bonuses came way earlier.

Scotland will focus on Science, Production and Amenity to keep Science and Production ahead, so Campus, Industrial Zone, and Entertainment Complex / Water Park. Sweden will go more for Theatre Square than Entertainment Complex, because she will gain more Great People from that district and allow to gain more Diplomatic Favor.
Scotland will focus more on Science Victory but Sweden have keys towards Science, Culture and Diplomatic game.

To be fair there's like no eye candy women in the game at the moment while there's like... At least 4 men that serve that purpose more or less. Honestly I don't like that they made a leader like Amanitore obese, while they could've made her slightly overweight but still attractive. But that's just preference, I suppose.

No eye candy women? How would you classify Cleopatra?

Also, I think Victoria is goddamn adorable.

So, assuming no changes are made to Scotland's abilities for Gathering Storm, it seems to me that by the early midgame Sweden very easily surpasses them overall. They'll have roughly equal production of Great Scientists and Engineers (seeing as it's not common you'll have too many Ecstatic cities at that point, they'll both be getting +1 great scientist or great engineer points from their campuses and industrial zones respectively) but Sweden also has bonuses to the diplo game. And I don't think the 5% extra science and production in Scottish cities (10% in some) will make a huge difference at that point. Anyone else feel these two civs will play too similarly?

I love Scotland, and while she does encroach on his abilities a little, I still consider Scotland the premier science victory civ, yes even over Korea. I can't see ever going science victory with Kristina. Sure you could do it, you'll certainly get through the civics tree faster than Scotland, but I see no reason to do so. Golf courses should come online around the same time Kristina's abilities come online, so you should be able to get a mix of happy and ecstatic cities at this point. And after getting reformed church, heading towards zoos is the way to go (fairly easy to get all ecstatic with zoos). I tried several times to beat my Scotland scores with Korea and could not do it. Sweden certainly can't.

She will get universities up fairly fast, but factories? Do you really want to build a factory in every city? Seems like a huge waste. And really she will be using these great people for the diplo game, not for science victory.

Did anyone found out some clues as to when the UI unlocks ? feels decisive to me in order to assert sweeden's potential.

I took a closer look. At the time that they show building the OAMs, they have Renaissance city art and have constructed an Art Museum in a Theater Square. So it's probably in the Renaissance somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if it were at Humanism with the regular museums.

Is it me or is Kristina almost like Jadwiga's older sister?

By the way, Smash Bros. Ultimate has its fair share of "sexy" female characters.

God I wish Gilgabro was in Smash Brothers. DONKEY CART SLAAAAM!

Also Harold.

No eye candy women? How would you classify Cleopatra?

Also, I think Victoria is goddamn adorable.
Cleo is a caricature of herself, not actually that much eye candy. If you pay attention she is not actually that attractive, all her allure comes from her attitude. Also there's a difference between being adorable and being eye candy. We've got plenty of adorable female leaders Tamar, Tomyris, Jadwiga, etc. but none of those are what I would classify as eye candy.

Kristina's character model looks really great, and it's an interesting civ design. I had no idea open-air museums originated in Scandinavia, so that's a nice thing to learn.

I saw a lot of people wondering if the unique governor was going to be Oxenstierna, but now it seems all but certain it will be the Ottoman ability (Hurrem Sultan?).

Sadly the leaked civ list has been right 100% so far probably meaning no ottomans. only Elanor and Dido of Carthage to go

Since basically at this point the leak has been 100% proven to be right, we've already known for a while that Roxelana will be Seuleiman's unique governor...
The leak does not contain ottomans.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly the leaked civ list has been right 100% so far probably meaning no ottomans. only Elanor and Dido of Carthage to go
Now seems like as good of a time as any to point out that out of nine leaders (and eight civilizations), only six have been revealed. Regardless of what the leak did or did not contain, it would need to have more than that to be complete.

Firaxis may not be the best at counting, but I think it would be disturbingly impressive if they confused a Unique Improvement with a Civilization. To be fair, those mounds are pretty dope.

Now seems like as good of a time as any to point out that out of nine leaders (and eight civilizations), only six have been revealed. Regardless of what the leak did or did not contain, it would need to have more than that to be complete.

Firaxis may not be the best at counting, but I think it would be disturbingly impressive if they confused a Unique Improvement with a Civilization. To be fair, those mounds are pretty dope.

We've had 6 reveals and there are still Phoenicia, the Ottomans and Eleanor left, so that does make nine leaders and eight civs. The leak was correct

Top Bottom