1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Daigotsu Max

Daigotsu Max Chieftain

What I expected: a bland Science focused Civ

What I got: an interesting, well designed multi-faceted Civ I'm excited to try

Kudos to the developers - this one hits the mark for me :) go Sweden!

Caprikel, WorldWarIV, bbbt and 10 others like this.
  2. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

We'll see in the demonstration just how strong that diplo bonus is from generating great people, diplomacy may still be just as viable as a victory for Sweden.

3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I am confused by the Nobel Prize ability. It seems like it helps other civs a lot. How does it help Sweden? Is the idea that you also get to participate in more games and therefore have more chances to reap the benefits of them?

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Along with another unique commercial hub because there seems to be a miscount.:mischief:

conorbebe, ferretbacon and Kimiimaro like this.
  5. Benzombie

Benzombie Chieftain

I knew that they wouldn't totally get rid of England's old ability. They did the same thing with the Prora from Civ5 getting the Eiffel Tower's old abilities. Although here it's Civ abilities.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  6. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

+1 Great Engineer point per turn isn't enough to make me build factories TBH. I still think i'll only build Industrial Zonez when playing as Germany, Japan and The Netherlands or if I find a +5 or +6 spot. Bonus Great Scientists point from Universities is sweet though, I obviously always build Universities.

I was a bit irked when the British Museum was removed in GS, but it's nice that it has a replacement in the "Minerva of the North" ability. Plus Minerva of the North is there from the start of the game.

Good point. You'd think not.

TahamiTsunami and acluewithout like this.
  7. frubox

frubox Chieftain

Since basically at this point the leak has been 100% proven to be right, we've already known for a while that Roxelana will be Seuleiman's unique governor...

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  8. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans

Caroleans (Swedish: karoliner) were soldiers of the Swedish kings Charles XI and Charles XII. Their tactics differed from those of Western Europe through a greater reliance upon pikes, rapiers, bayonets, and an offensive strategy, which lead them to victory in many battles, even when greatly outnumbered.

Not too ahistorical considering this introduction. Plus, they were experts in forced march, so making them a fast moving anticav with that + strength for movement as a shock tactic makes sense IMO. Putting them at replacing Pike and Shot works quite well.

9. Denkt

Denkt Reader

The goal of the price have strong synergies with Swedens abilities so Sweden have an easier time to win them. And winning the price for Sweden also mean more diplomatic favor because they get 50 each time they get a great person.

Sweden only really need tons of underdeveloped cities each with a open air museum to produce ton of Culture and they can get their great work of arts slots from the UB amongst other. For Sweden each city should be Worth a minimum of 10 Culture per turn no matter how bad it is and I suspect that one of the price is about Culture.

The Peace price is about diplomatic favor which fit Sweden because they get 50 each time they get a great person.

CPWimmer and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

A desert.

11. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

An open-air museum is like a collection of buildings or a folk museum. I'm a bit curious about the inspiration for the terrain part.

I learned this at a bachelor's party in Kentucky. That sentence was not supposed to make sense, though it was true..

Nice. What made you think of the open-air museum, if you don't mind me asking?

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Looking forward to this actually.

Very creepy. She improves when she smiles and closes the book, however. And I like the book in the character model, really makes it work.

They seem okay to me this time. Just about the right size.

AvianBritish and TahamiTsunami like this.
  13. anandus

anandus Errorist

This one:

14. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Ayy we're back \o/

Having incentive to settle everywhere is pretty nice

ChocolateShake likes this.
  15. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

So far, only Canada have bonuses to gain diplomatic favours directly ; Hungary, Greece and Georgia via city-States. I don't remember the great others ways, but there is onyl four others civs that can be dangerous competitors in diplomatic favours.

For me, the gameplay mechanic behind Nobel Prizes are: we are giving to you a possibility to participate in a great competition you have more chance to win. Insteed giving them a flat, small, irrelevant bonus, they give them a great bonus but they'll have to fight for. An interesting design.

Besides that, I don't care that Nobel Prizes competition are for everyone. Sweden is strong enough by itself without that. Au contraire, it's just an added flavour to spice your games. IMO, Sweden is THE civ you want in your game everytime since it's good for diversification and emergencies in World Congress.

CPWimmer, TahamiTsunami and Jkchart like this.
  16. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

That particular leak has been wrong in multiple instances.

The so far accurate leak has no mention of Roxolana, as far as I remember.

17. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Fun fact about Helan går: When the Swedish national hockey team won against USSR in the 1957 world championship, this was the drinking song they chose to sing because they didn't know how their national anthem went

18. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

And remember, it's not like Sweden wins all the Nobel prizes, although I believe they do win more than their fair share, so it's a very appropriate bonus.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  19. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

It is not a pure benefit to Sweden, but they will have advantages to winning as well as a single GP is more beneficial to them than others so even it it helps everyone it helps you more. In addition it will encourage others to play a more peaceful game which is helpful in winning culture

I mean if you totally ignore it, it will likely hurt you, but other than that, even if it helps others you are gonna end up a net positive in the action.

CPWimmer and Jkchart like this.
  20. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

Sweden looks good, very tight design this time.

One thing that seems really odd is that all three Nobel Prize competitions are held in the Industrial Era. One per era starting in the Industrial would make more sense I think.

@Denkt - Is your "Z" key broken? ;)

OzzyKP and TahamiTsunami like this.