[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

So far, only Canada have bonuses to gain diplomatic favours directly ; Hungary, Greece and Georgia via city-States. I don't remember the great others ways, but there is onyl four others civs that can be dangerous competitors in diplomatic favours.

For me, the gameplay mechanic behind Nobel Prizes are: we are giving to you a possibility to participate in a great competition you have more chance to win. Insteed giving them a flat, small, irrelevant bonus, they give them a great bonus but they'll have to fight for. An interesting design.

Besides that, I don't care that Nobel Prizes competition are for everyone. Sweden is strong enough by itself without that. Au contraire, it's just an added flavour to spice your games. IMO, Sweden is THE civ you want in your game everytime since it's good for diversification and emergencies in World Congress.

America has a Favor bonus now too. As described in the last livestream, they get extra Favor per turn for each Wildcard slot.

Last edited:
I've watched the clip a few times more and it bugs me a bit that she says "Patron av konst och litteratur" around 10-16 seconds in. "Patron" isn't a word (at least not widely) that is used in Swedish to describe a patron. Patron in Swedish is a type of ammunition :lol:

I would have prefered something like "... konstens och litteraturens beskyddare".

Nobel prize also start in industrial so you have alot of time to set yourself up for them. Swedens early game is probably you average warmongering game, but obviosuly Removing strong competitors this stage is a very good thing. Kind of ironic that a civilization that is going to win Peace prize late game is one of the civs that have most to gain from warmongering of all civs in the game. Simply each city for Sweden is +10 Culture which adds up alot with the number of cities in your empire and the advantage in Removing competitors is also going to add up. Basically Sweden seems to be Rome with museums and no roads.

@Denkt - Is your "Z" key broken? ;)
No, it is simply beacuse price and prize in Swedish is the same thing.

It is not a pure benefit to Sweden, but they will have advantages to winning as well as a single GP is more beneficial to them than others so even it it helps everyone it helps you more. In addition it will encourage others to play a more peaceful game which is helpful in winning culture

I mean if you totally ignore it, it will likely hurt you, but other than that, even if it helps others you are gonna end up a net positive in the action.

My guess is that there are three prizes: Peace (diplomatic favor), Physics/Chemistry/Psychology/Medicine (science), and probably Economics (gold). I could also see the last being literature or art because Economics isn't technically a Nobel Prize.

All their bonuses are cool but I think the UI is insanely powerful, IF you can consistently meet the conditions to maximize its bonuses.

Sweden's starting bias will be important. If they have a tundra bias, they may actually be able to fulfill settling 5 cities on different terrain fairly naturally. After all, theres always snow near tundra and oftentimes desert/plains near tundra. You will always gravitate towards grasslands because they tend to be in the best terrain so that's not an issue.

The problem is if you start in grassland or some central plains, it will be hard to settle desert/tundra/snow. At least in a way that is organic and not a speed bump to your main strategy, its certainly not hard to settle a bunch of cities everywhere in general.

For this reason I believe Sweden will want to be wide, each city they found automatically (its a UI not a UB which is HUGE cuz you can built it instantly) producing 10 culture, tourism and 2 loyalty. insane.

I've watched the clip a few times more and it bugs me a bit that she says "Patron av konst och litteratur" around 10-16 seconds in. "Patron" isn't a word (at least not widely) that is used in Swedish to describe a patron. Patron in Swedish is a type of ammunition :lol:

I would have prefered something like "... konstens och litteraturens beskyddare".
I agree with you, although according to Swedish NE the word has three meanings, ammo and two older meanings that is not used so much anymore, a title for a factory owner or for a protector.

In the First Look it says Sweden earns Diplomatic Favour when they earn a great person, but they then show a Great Writer being purchased with faith. I assume earning a great person through getting enough great person points still gives you Diplomatic Favour?

Sweden looks good, very tight design this time.

One thing that seems really odd is that all three Nobel Prize competitions are held in the Industrial Era. One per era starting in the Industrial would make more sense I think.

I automatically thought the three Nobel Prize competitions would be held from the Industrial era onwards, but only in the Industrial era? Seems kinda "meh" TBH. But Nobel Prize could be very powerful, I don't know.

Nobel prize also start in industrial so you have alot of time to set yourself up for them. Swedens early game is probably you average warmongering game, but obviosuly Removing strong competitors this stage is a very good thing. Kind of ironic that a civilization that is going to win Peace prize late game is one of the civs that have most to gain from warmongering of all civs in the game. Simply each city for Sweden is +10 Culture which adds up alot with the number of cities in your empire and the advantage in Removing competitors is also going to add up. Basically Sweden seems to be Rome with museums and no roads.

I am a peaceful player (since the AI is bad at war ATM) but Sweden sounds like a good Civ to play as. The extra Great Scientist points from universities, Culture buildings with 3 slots automatically theming plus them being good at Diplomacy all sounds attractive to me. I don't think you need to be a warmonger to play Sweden well.

I like culture focussed cities. theming is excellent , so you dont need to go after artifacts and can go after the great people and still get the same benefit.
i normally dont like anticav units but this one looks exceptionally strong, plus great general makes it a powerhouse in a cavalry meta.

question : a repeat of what was already asked. does the nobel prize still trigger if sweden is eliminated
question : for the bonus of the terrain type does it only count if you have it the city of the improvement or in any city in your empire?

Not if you consider Sweden started a colony in Africa and one in North America during Kristinas reign.

Interesting. I stand corrected. I did not know this. I also learned about the open air museums as well. Always appreciate learning new things. So this gives some reasoning for the terrain thing for open air museums then.

I don't like the look of the Nobel Prize, it doesn't necessarily give bonuses towards Sweden

I don't like the look of the Nobel Prize, it doesn't necessarily give bonuses towards Sweden

It also gets +Diplomatic Favour for each Great Person, Bonus Great People points from Factories and Universities

The whole Point is that you have to earn them but Sweden is in a very good position to get them. The Peace prize need diplomatic favor which Sweden get every time they get a great person and if Sweden get the prize they get even more great people which mean more diplomatic favor.

I suspect the other 2 is Culture and science which, Culture is easy for Sweden and science is encourage by University buff and being strong in Culture make it easy to have strong science as well and Sweden do not need Theatre Squares to outdo the average civ in Culture by the industrial era so they can use all their district slots on science and other stuff.

This civ is great for culture victories! I am glad that they took this route when they were designing it, since I generally view Sweden as more of a cultural powerhouse than a scientific one. The Queen's Bibliotheque is finally a good reason to build government plazas in the first place!

I love how specific the Nobel Prize ability is, since it means you'll have something extra at the WC whenever you have Sweden in the game.

I don't understand the UI though. How would we know how much culture we get from the terrain types?

The Carolean is a little weird and its ability is a bit ahistorical. The Caroleans were known for their highly aggressive attack favoring to get into melee as soon as possible and also carrying more melee weapons than their equivalents. They were not pike and shot however, they were line infantry. The tactics made sense as Sweden was a low population country so battles of attrition hurt them far more than their enemies, it was better to rout the enemy and end the battle as soon as possible.

The Swedish infantry was during 30th years war great at countering cavalry since they was drilled to deliver more shots than their enemies and had mixed in pikes between the guns. But like 100 years later as you say the Carolians was more like line infantry, but differed from their enemies since most of them was equipped with both swords and guns. They used to charge after first shot was fired. That fits very well with their ability. If they change their attack animation to first shoot and then pull up their swords and charge I world be very happy.

Last edited:
question : for the bonus of the terrain type does it only count if you have it the city of the improvement or in any city in your empire?
I think it's starting tile of any city.
I automatically thought the three Nobel Prize competitions would be held from the Industrial era onwards, but only in the Industrial era? Seems kinda "meh" TBH. But Nobel Prize could be very powerful, I don't know.
It sounded to me as though they would become available, but not necessarily active, in the Industrial. Perhaps I misheard.

This would be an interesting direction if they went this way. To give a civ a unique flavor something that doesn't necessarily benefit that civ, but benefits having that civ in the game. I actually appreciate this part of Nobel Prize. I look forward to having Sweden in my games.

They could take this even further. Like say have anime if Japan is in the game. :D Or Justin Beiber if Canada is in the game. I kid. But seriously who doesn't like more flavor in their games?

Top Bottom