1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Livestream Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 16, 2019.

1. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Per the credits, these guys did the score recording: http://www.musa.cz/filmharmonic-orchestra.htm (Filmharmonic Orchestra of Prague), they do a lot of movies (and video games) per their IMDB page.

So yes, they are definitely aware of Bohemia as a possibility. Otoh, apparently they also recorded the Civ 5 score so they've been aware for a while.

Zaarin likes this.
  2. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Well, in game terms, I could certainly see myself plugging a gap between mountains with a wall--if it would actually stop a barbarian advance.

Many thought of the Monguls as barbarians on the level of the Huns. That's not even a perception stuck in the past, and not without good reason. But, if someone back in the day regarded Genghiis' horde as a disorganized, easily-deterred mob, more the fool they.

A ghost you can just slam a door in the face of is a pretty crummy ghost, I gotta say. :lol:

There've been plenty of peasants throughout history that lacked for a way to keep out of trouble. Not everyone's always gonna have a paddy to work or a trade to ply. That leads to crime and disregard for authority. When you've got a billion hoi polloi, employment is not necessarily a matter that will take care of itself. As projects go, a wall's as good a way as any if you think people need to be occupied (rather than squatting in a welfare state) but you can't figure out how to make them genuinely productive. Not everyone can landscape a park, or sculpt a statue, but most can tote a rock. Tote or dig. Maybe in another world we might have had a Great Ditch.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Zaarin likes this.
  3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Anyone living anywhere near the Eurasian Steppe knew by the 13th - 13th centuries CE that Barbarian Nomads were neither a mob nor easily deterred. Hence major wall building, not only in China but, less well known, in Afghanistan and Persia, and later (wood) in Russia.

Everybody's 'ghosts', 'demons' and other malevolent Spirits are bound by rules: can't go through a door, can't enter a home without an invitation, can't go around a corner, etc. If they are powerful enough to creat Terror and are not bound by rules, then they are Gods, and you have an entirely different order of Problems. . .

We do: Egypt's 7th century BCE Red Sea-Nile Canal kept hundreds of thousands busy for years, killed off thousands of them with heat stroke and starvation, and silted up almost as soon as they finished. That's the problem with Big Ditches: they tend to disappear almost as fast as Rammed Earth walls if you don't work on them constantly. . .

acluewithout and Zaarin like this.
  4. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Mm-hmm.

Mm-hmm, and if they're just trifling pookahs dismissed with a pinch of salt, one needn't bother with a gargantuan wall. Save that for the Gods.

The royal engineers are biting off more than they can chew in some cases, god bless'em. A grand canal, a great wall, a colossal statue here, a helepolis there. On the other hand, what should a ruler care about sustainability if he's just trying to provide busy work? Have people dig a hole, then fill it up, then dig another.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Doesn't work. Take it from me as a former First Sergeant in (mostly) a peacetime Army, if it is perceived as purely useless 'busy work' you will have some very angry, resentful workers on your hands. The Project at least has to have the Appearance of usefulness, even if the technology makes it effectively impossible (like Egypt's Red Sea canal without concrete or wood or any other ability to shore up the sand!). Hence, the Pyramids were to glorify the God-King, and the Great Wall was going to keep all the Immigrant Barbarians out (at least no Emperor was daft enough to claim that the Mongols would pay for the Great Wall) . . .

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'm going to point out that at least the Irish variety of the púca is pretty horrifying. :p

steveg700 likes this.
  7. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I spotted the city but I thought "Karl" just named it after himself, I didn't know it was an IRL city.

This is the right change in my book. Diplomatic Favour looks like an important currency in GS, it seems right you should get it for being victorious in emergencies. Plus it would make me want to enter an emergency more, with gold you could have 2-3K gold in the Industrial era in your balance and be making 150-200GPT so why enter a difficult emergency for a bit more?

Whereas if you get a good amount of Diplomatic Favour, you'd be more inclined to enter it. I'm not played GS, but I assume Diplomatic Favour could be hard to acquire in large quantities.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Seem like you're exhibiting a bit of a penchant for contradicting where there's nothing to disagree about. Sure, naturally a canny administration does not expressly label busy work as such.

I sure hope that's the case. I mean, where was that 3200 gold even coming from?

And of course, with disaster relief, makes little sense to reward gold for offering gold.

Really like the idea of civ's driving the emergencies, and makes having the WC convene the medieval era palatable. Might even love it, if the AI uses it actively and participates appropriately. It doesn't just be another way player exploit.

9. man_in_finance

man_in_finance Chieftain

This particular example is not only counter intuitive but also not an efficient process. I fear there will be other resolutions suffering similar problems.

Whilst the process does indeed simulate 2 rounds you are obviously driven to ensure that your vote has power, i.e. it passes round one. Therefore you must focus on whether to enact A or B. In this resolution the options are either "supportive" of your civ or "adversarial" to another. I do not have knowledge of the AI but I suspect they will favour "supportive" and therefore whilst having the appearance of being a strategically important vote I fear the game theoretic equilibrium will be to always vote in one particular way, thereby making it a completely uninteresting process. When I've seen the release I will perhaps post again with more detailed reasoning and a bit of a bayesian probability explanation for anyone that cares.

As further evidence that this seems like a reasonably conceived idea, but just poorly executed, one needs to look no further that the User Interface. I almost feel firaxis made a conscious decision to design it to be so dismal to encourage the modders to do their work for them.

10. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Karlstad is also settled in the first look video.