[GS] Sweden Livestream Discussion Thread

I didn't get to watch the whole stream but if pillaging now scales with era, then that military policy card that doubles pillaging yields becomes possibly quite lucrative right???

I'm worried it's too strong now. They were getting entire techs and civics from this. Raid or whatever it's called will make it insane. You don't have to take cities, you can just pillage and come out ahead. And if Sumeria is next to you...

Did we learn anything on the Power system?

Nothing new that I could tell. Just showing when something was underpowered.

I also feel canals come way too early. Suez was built in 19th century right? Were there any major canals built before that?

I'm worried it's too strong now. They were getting entire techs and civics from this. Raid or whatever it's called will make it insane. You don't have to take cities, you can just pillage and come out ahead. And if Sumeria is next to you...

I also feel canals come way too early. Suez was built in 19th century right? Were there any major canals built before that?

As someone who primarily raids instead of conquers, this pleases me.

The Netherlands had canals before that. Venice existed before that. Romans built canals.

Last edited:
Pillaging rewards now scale with ages, indirectly buffing Norway.

Only if you are at war as Norway though. I play peacefully so most of the time I wouldn't get the benefit, but if a Civ were to declare war on me i'd be pillaging shores for sure.

I mean they SHOULD be. It's also probably a way of them encouraging you to use military engineers more.

Good point. Especially if there is a policy card that speeds up producing military engineers.

The Statue of Liberty now gives a Diplomatic Victory point instead of two settlers.

Sweet, I never got a benefit even once from getting 2 free settlers with SoL when playing R&F. Now SoL is obviously a top tier wonder.

This could be a buff to coastal Civs too since SoL needs to be build on the coast, if you are entirely on land you can't build it.

Canals did exist in ancient times (Greece, China, etc), but I'm guessing you are referring to the larger ones with locks? There's Erie Canal.

Suez was like 1850s. Some like the Erie Canal were more like 1820s. Wiki says there were "early-modern" canals being build in the 17th and 18th centuries in Europe. So I don't think it's completely a-historic to have them come about around the same time as Railroads.

For pillaging, definitely makes a "pillage but don't capture" strategy make a lot more sense. If you're going to get 80 science from pillaging a campus, I'm much more likely to want to pillage it even if I am going to conquer the city. or even just making sure that I can pillage all the lands around a city before taking it.

I vaguely remember that Imperial Rome like a lake to the sea to enable a naval buildup, and there was a long canal somewhere in Greece to vastly shorten going around some isthmus.
So ... I have no problem with the timing.

Canals are very expensive, 16 turns to build one on online speed. (I think it is online speed, 330 turn limit)
it's on Quick, Online's 250 turns

Did we know already that now you have to make score in the old R&F emergencies to get a reward if the emergency is won? You must at least keep units in the target territory to even get anything. No more being rewarded for doing absolutely nothing, you have to at least be a decoy while someone else do the deed.
emergency.png

Did we know already that now you have to make score in the old R&F emergencies to get a reward if the emergency is won? You must at least keep units in the target territory to even get anything. No more being rewarded for doing absolutely nothing, you have to at least be a decoy while someone else do the deed.
View attachment 515195
good catch, emergencies look much more fleshed out

target gets 200 diplomatic favor if you fail. Ouch.

edit: I don't understand the score in a city state emergency. You either get it or you don't, right? Okay, I see no score gets you nothing. But it seems like having a unit in the territory one turn will be enough to get you score. Of course being the human player, we'll have to actually take the city state.

Do we know if the special session will trigger in the same way emergencies trigger in R&F? That is, you don't always trigger an emergency. Sometimes you capture a CS and it trigger, sometimes don't. Will it still be this way, just with a special session instead of a direct emergency or the fact we can vote now means it trigger every time an emergency conditions is achieved?

Suez was like 1850s. Some like the Erie Canal were more like 1820s. Wiki says there were "early-modern" canals being build in the 17th and 18th centuries in Europe. So I don't think it's completely a-historic to have them come about around the same time as Railroads.

For pillaging, definitely makes a "pillage but don't capture" strategy make a lot more sense. If you're going to get 80 science from pillaging a campus, I'm much more likely to want to pillage it even if I am going to conquer the city. or even just making sure that I can pillage all the lands around a city before taking it.

Also, the Panama Canal is a wonder in the game, it's not just a district. The Suez canal would be a wonder as well, but who needs two identical wonders?

No, it hasn't been there before. I wonder if it came with the furniture set, and they've just been holding it until this moment.

They lost the Allen Key before mounting it. Fortunately, they found it last week. Not in time to review the mounting instructions tough, so they left the key there to build it from last Thursday to today.

target gets 200 diplomatic favor if you fail. Ouch.

edit: I don't understand the score in a city state emergency. You either get it or you don't, right? Okay, I see no score gets you nothing. But it seems like having a unit in the territory one turn will be enough to get you score. Of course being the human player, we'll have to actually take the city state.

As it is shown in the screenshot, it seems just useful to ensure all "participants" actually participate. (In case no score is achieved by a player, no rewards Will be received).

It could be expanded, tough, to decide which participants contributed the most to winning the emergency and providing them better rewards.

Yes this was confusing to me as well. I don't see how your "score" influences the outcome at all - you either take the city state or you don't. I would love for score to play a role. It's little detailed mistakes like this that are making me nervous about the release...

I rewatched bits of the stream and Ed said scoring competitions are separate from resolutions. This is a plus compared to Civ V, in Civ V proposing the Worlds Fair or International Space Station took up a world congress meeting slot. The Noble Peace Prize is also separate from scoring competitions and resolutions.

I think world congress looks better in Civ VI for sure. (from what we've seen so far)

Are we counting China?

Canals did exist in ancient times (Greece, China, etc), but I'm guessing you are referring to the larger ones with locks? There's Erie Canal.

The Erie Canal could only accommodate barges, though. It's not really anything like the type of canals people have wanted.

The favor refund is a smart idea, and nice that emergencies are now proposed and voted on and not random!

I'm not a fan of the aspect of guessing who will vote and then just seeing the random results. (feel the same about the current emergencies) There is a missed opportunity for more interaction and diplomacy at these moments. Like, Can I see what an Ally plans to vote? Or persuade a friend or an Ally to vote a certain way? Quick favor donation to see their vote? Visibility having some effect? Spies?

Seems like the only way to swing votes is indirect: trading for favor before it triggers. Hope I am wrong and there is a bit more planned, or that I am missing something.

Top Bottom