1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweden under rated for domination?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Cherenkov, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Cherenkov

Cherenkov Chieftain

Thankfully I didn't see any Sweden nerfs in the patch notes. Not only is this a great civ for CV but also for a late starting domination civ that can start late but finish quickly. The culture synergy is hard to match and you can make a lot of gold trading great excess writers and the diplomatic favor you get from generating GP. Aim for nationalism to get open-air museums which will get you to mobilization quickly especially once you've conquered many cities as a +10 culture OAM in each city is fairly OP :)

You won't set any records but a late start domination is unique and fun. Start peaceful with about 5-8 cities, build 3-4 ampis and 2 encampments, build QB and fill it up. Sell excess great writers and diplomatic favor for lots of gold. Build your army before QB and head for nationalism. Once you hit nationalism then open-air museum spam will get you to mobilization fast especially once you start conquering cities. Buy some Carolean with gold that you got earlier from favor and selling great works(but still need xbows, muskets and some knights) and build/chop the rest.

AI loves to build pikeman and knights and your Carolean will destroy knights and are still good against pikeman and even muskets if you go with the right promos. In my first deity game using hsj's map from the https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...of-questions-for-people-who-know-more.643444/ thread I didn't start warmongering till T100, got my first capital around T115 and finished the other 6 civs 70 turns later. This was on a map with lots of mountains and chokepoints so not really ideal as it took a while to get to Korea's capital and Dido's was swarming with a navy and encampments. Carolean corps then army tore through Genghis' and Alex's knights like they didn't exist. The momentum is hard to beat. I've gotten better finish times with Alex but this dom game was probably the most fun I've had in GS yet. A Carolean army with ram takes a city fast with +18 attack from saved moves. This was done without Oligarchy too so I missed out on another +4 attack and 25% xp boost.

The second game which is in progress and on a different map I started earlier and got Oligarchy first. Things are looking better but I did sacrifice culture a bit so might take longer to hit nationalism. Unfortunately I will have very little time now as University classes start again in a few days so will take a while to finish this game.

Thoughts and comments welcome

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

I agree with your general sentiments, concentrating on campus districts and having just enough theatre squares to house GW's to arrive @ Nationalism in a timely manner then spam open air museums seems to be another viable choice.

No question about it though, a strong late start domination civ. The larger the map, the longer the game, the more Sweden can leverage their advantages into a snowball.

3. Cherenkov

Cherenkov Chieftain

A few screenshots

Carolean corps vs city berfore the capital. This carolean destroyed over half of the medieval city wall. Normally I would go for the capital first but this was a nice city with two luxes and niter and was taken quickly.

One carolean non corps taking out 5 units while defending

Want a crazy attack bonus? 11 unused moves = +33 attack bonus but subtract 10 for amphibious penalty in this case.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. chordate

chordate Chieftain

Very intersting strategy for Sweden.
    May I ask the domination victory strategy for Sweden on TSL europe map?
    True start location with some war inclined civ Norway nearby is diffult for peacful start.

5. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

It works from water? Omg...

I think their army icon resembles of a sneaker.

6. Haig

Haig Warlord

My first GS game was as Sweden, I got into a war with Ottomans and their Janissaries destroyed my Caroleans with ease..!

Then I realized that Carolean's unit class is anticav, so melee unit Janissary got bonus strenght against it.

7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

My first game with Sweden I wound up with Poland as my neighbor. I was trying to stay peaceful but she surprise DoWed me with a pack of hussars. I hard built a couple Caroleans and they dismantled her army easily (well, easier than normal anyway).

On offense they're brutal, especially amphibious like previous posters mentioned. Really love the unit design.