Sweden

king Oosterveld

Chieftain
thought i might put this in, saw that there was a thread for Austria and Byzantine. since denmark has all the vikings and the sea bonus, what would the UU/UB/UA be?

some screenshots ( more needed!!)
Spoiler :

picture of the first three cities.

leader of Sweden, Gustavus

Well, so far we know the UA has to do with the Nobel Prize and (I think?) something to do with Great People. The UU is the Hakkapeliitta, which is some horse-unit replacement - almost certain it's not a knight; probably a cavalry replacement but could be a lancer or even some new horse unit they're adding. Not sure about UB.

Well, so far we know the UA has to do with the Noble Prize and (I think?) something to do with Great People. The UU is the Hakkapeliitta, which is some horse-unit replacement - almost certain it's not a knight; probably a cavalry replacement but could be a lancer or even some new horse unit they're adding. Not sure about UB.

UU2 is a line infantry type unit iirc

Carolean and Hakkapeliitta are the two UUs.

Musketman and Lancer replacements, almost certainly. The Carolean has marching bonuses, the Hakkapeliitta get bonuses when near Great Generals.

The UA, Nobel Prize, involves diplomacy, great people, and city-states, but I don't think we know anything more specific.

Can I take a guess at the city list?

From what's evident by the photos thus far it seems to start with:
  • Stockholm (capital)
  • Sigtuna (Not a very notable city today, but was so historically, also is the oldest city in sweden)
  • Helsinki (capital of finland, though not a very important city during the Swedish Empire, the Finnish administration was carried out from Åbo (Turku in Finnish and English))
Then I'd guess that the followup will be, though this is tricky, taking into account the Finnish cities, as well as size vs. historical significance, I'll work from the assumption that Finland and Estonia in the Swedish civ will have about the same amount of representation as Norway, Iceland, the Faroes and Greenland in the Danish Civ:
  • Gothenburg (Second largest city in Sweden, as well as largest port)
  • Uppsala (fourth largest, famous for their University, and Old Uppsala was the location of the most famous norse pagan temple
  • Malmö (Probably spelled Malmo or something like that, can't recall any umlauts in Civ 5, third largest swedish city)
  • Skara (Important Church-city, and during the middle ages, if i remember correctly, the oldest curches in sweden are located 'round here)
  • Västerås
  • Turku ((Åbo) "capital" of finland during the Swedish Empire, also Finland oldest city)
  • Karlstad (Important maritime city during the empire)
  • Visby (the City on Gotland, important during the Hanseatic League)
  • Tallinn ((Reval) capital of Estonia)
  • Örebro
  • Linköping
  • Helsingborg
  • Jönköping
  • Norrköping
  • Lund
  • Umeå
  • Gävle
  • Borås (Born and raised, good enough reason for me :p, All cities on the list between Örebro and Borås are in order of population)
  • Mariehamn ("capital" of the Åland islands, an almost completely Swedish-speaking autonomous region of Finland
  • Stettin ("capital" of Pomerania during Swedens Reign)
  • Nyenskans (St. Petersburg, really. Because SCREW YOU Russia! We were there first! :p)

Or maybe they'll just copy straight of wikipedia:
Spoiler :

• Göteborg/Gothenburg
  • Malmö
  • Uppsala
  • Västerås
  • Örebro
  • Linköping
  • Helsingborg
  • Jönköping
  • Norrköping
  • Lund
  • Umeå
  • Gävle
  • Borås
  • Eskilstuna
  • Södertälje
  • Karlstad
  • Täby
  • Växjö
  • Halmstad

Maybe I should throw Kiruna in there somewhere, it's iron-mine are practically the reason Sweden didn't get involved in WW2, (and also practically the reason Norway and Denmark were)

EDIT: Sorry for double post
As a matter of fact, I am very, very bored, and that's why I even took time to do something like this

mind if i copy and paste some of the info into the thread itself? also, where are these screenshots? and excuse me if i am wrong, but wasn't it the oil that kept Sweden out of the war?

What unique bonuses do you think the Hakkapeliitta will get when near great generals?
Wikipedia tells me they were noted for they're charge tactics and "sudden and savage attacks", how about they take no damage on the attack when in the range of a great general?? (probably over-powered though)

What unique bonuses do you think the Hakkapeliitta will get when near great generals?
Wikipedia tells me they were noted for they're charge tactics and "sudden and savage attacks", how about they take no damage on the attack when in the range of a great general?? (probably over-powered though)
they might get a blitz bonus, +20%-30% attack bonus and maybe another movement point when near a great general.

Not over powered if it is a lancer defencive penalty

If sweden has helsinki in their city list it's probably called Helsingfors (swedish name)

ok so maybe i saw uppsala in one of my denmark games, i dont know. For sure though I can confirm (just go to the 1UP article from 5-12) Stockholm, Helsinki and Sigtuna

I hope the Nobel Prize works like, for every research agreement and declaration of friendship made, you and your partner recieve a boost in points in making great people. That way Sweden can amass powerful friends, and the friends of Sweden would gang up on anyone he doesn't like.

About the specialities of their UUs that the devs have hinted at:

Carolean infantry specializes in long marches.
I bet they get a combat bonus when they are far away from capital, maybe more bonus for longer and longer space between them and home.

Hakkapeliitta cavalry has a special thing when stacked with Great Generals.
If I remember correctly it was said that bonus is related to being stacked with generals?
So maybe it's a strenght bonus for the cavalry when on attack, dunno.

I'm glad that their UA 'Nobel Prize' is more peace-related, interesting to see what it is.

(I think I know the historical reasons for those Unique Unit details, the Swedish infantry did gruelling long marches when they stormed thru Europe, especially in the final of their grand campaigns against Peter the Great of Russia in early 1700s, they marched and got hammered by cossacks, guerrillas and harsh winter (kind of like Napoleon and Hitler later when invading Russia) and finally met Russians outnumbered in a final battle in Ukraine.

And during those times many generals and kings risked their lives by riding in the middle of their armies, Gustav Adolf even met his end while charging with his cavalry towards an enemy..)

Haig: Ah, interesting. So you are suggesting that the Carolean has the opposite bonus from the Ethiopian UU?

Ulthwithian,
well it's speculation of course, but that's how I would see it. The Swedish empire fought campaigns around Europe, and had their little own catastrophic Russia campaign too. :)

And for everyone who wants to get pumped by some Swedish Empire bayonet action, check out this great great history book (one of my fave books, not only history but from all genres.. )

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battle-Th...8479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336935849&sr=8-1

It has all your caroleans and hakkapeliittas, and filled with journals and thoughts of the people on the campaign. Written in Peter Englunds trademark almost novel-like style.
After reading the book I for the first time got the impression on how really the combat from that period worked and felt like, from the different cannon shots to the ranks and how the muskets and forts worked.

If sweden has helsinki in their city list it's probably called Helsingfors (swedish name)

I think 4 cities they should include from Finland are:

Helsinki (Helsingfors in Swedish)
Turku (Åbo in Swedish) - Old Capital
Tampere (Tammerfors in Swedish) - One of the most important cities in Finland and my home city :)
Vaasa (Vasa in Swedish) - Named after King Gustav Vasa. Still has 25% Swedish speaking minority.

Top Bottom