Sweden

All this speculation is getting me really excited for Sweden. They're shaping up to be a new favorite. Watch out, France! :lol:

What unique bonuses do you think the Hakkapeliitta will get when near great generals?
Wikipedia tells me they were noted for they're charge tactics and "sudden and savage attacks", how about they take no damage on the attack when in the range of a great general?? (probably over-powered though)

Maybe something with Zone of Control? Like not being bothered by it when moving past enemies, or the unit having a 2 tile radius ZOC for enemies?

There is an achievement for starting a turn with the UU and a Great General at the same tile. I'm not sure if it can tell us anything, other then that it unlock the bonus of the UU only in that situation. Maybe it is just a movement bonus, or a combat bonus.

mind if i copy and paste some of the info into the thread itself? also, where are these screenshots? and excuse me if i am wrong, but wasn't it the oil that kept Sweden out of the war?

This is the screenshot i got the first three cities from, the rest are just educated guesses.

Norway's the one with the oil ;). A lot of weapons during the war was made with Swedish iron, if anyone were to attack Sweden, the mines would've simply been destroyed by the government. The iron were, on the other hand, shipped internationally from Norwegian harbors (because they're ice-free during the winter), so the wise move would be to control these harbors.

If sweden has helsinki in their city list it's probably called Helsingfors (swedish name)

They usually use the English version of city names, especially when it's something like Helsinki.

ETA: Or the screenshot right above me, which clearly shows Helsinki.

As for the Carolean, why not just give it the March ability so it heals while it moves?

This is the screenshot i got the first three cities from, the rest are just educated guesses.

Norway's the one with the oil ;). A lot of weapons during the war was made with Swedish iron, if anyone were to attack Sweden, the mines would've simply been destroyed by the government. The iron were, on the other hand, shipped internationally from Norwegian harbors (because they're ice-free during the winter), so the wise move would be to control these harbors.
whats the code for spoilers? and sorry i got the two mixed up, i know the germans stayed out of one of those countries due to it supplying 75% of the oil.

whats the code for spoilers? and sorry i got the two mixed up, i know the germans stayed out of one of those countries due to it supplying 75% of the oil.

[SPOILER_][/SPOILER]
remove the _ (I know, too obvious that the Spoiler code is Spoiler :mischief:)

As for the Carolean, why not just give it the March ability so it heals while it moves?

erm, also seems a bit too 'obvious' :lol: "long marches" -> March promotion. :goodjob:

Another obvious bonus would be an extra movement point.

Yeah, I was thinking 3 moves plus march ability.

A 3 move musketmen starting with the march ability seems like a reasonable musketmen replacement. They would lose the extra movement when upgraded, but march is still a good enough promotion ("tier 4") that it would justify rushing gunpowder instead of steel, IMHO.

Nice to see there are actually some swedish people playing civ V. Sometime it feels like I m quite alone....

at least when it comes to multiplayer!

Would be nice to see at least a couple more swedish players in the MP community. Any Swedish player who want to try out MP check out the steamgroups for the MP communities (I m mostly playing in the league) they r in my signature.

If anyone (Swedish) want to improve fast and get a kickstart playing mp I can even help out with some pointers and teaming up to give advice how to improve fast. What I am offering is basicly training sessions for swedish players who not only wants to try out multiplayer but actually be good at it too.

Would rly be fun with some more swedish players at higher level CIV V MP....

Regarding G&K. I really hope they make it possible to play the smokey skies in MP. Would be fun for off ladder casual free for all

A 3 move musketmen starting with the march ability seems like a reasonable musketmen replacement. They would lose the extra movement when upgraded, but march is still a good enough promotion ("tier 4") that it would justify rushing gunpowder instead of steel, IMHO.

Good enough?

GOOD ENOUGH???

That would make it the best unit in the game. The march promotion is the highest priority for infantry units. If you have a medic close to them (which frankly, you should always do), then they can heal 2 per turn, every turn in enemy territory. That means that they can finish off a weak/ranged or backwards unit, and still be at full health afterwards. It means when defending they are pretty much invulnerable to attrition tactics. It means that you can make them do that risky 5 damage vs 4 damage attack to get rid of that pescy unit, and still heal back to a reasonably 8 health afterwards. It means that when you've conquered a city, you dont need to reqroup for more than half a turn, and can press home the advantage.

As a promotion it ranks as highly as logistics, range or blitz. Giving a UU that promotion makes it more than decent, giving it an extra movement point on top of that is like saying longbowmen aren't quite good enough as it, and should have their strength increased by 25%.

The extra move on its own would make for an interesting UU, and a decent unit (effectively, a resourcesless, cheaper knight than gets defensive bonuses and can attack cities without penalty); but probably not good enough as it can't be upgraded to and loses the bonus on upgrade.

Although, UUs often aren't balanced on their own, the whole Civ has to be looked at so unless we know what Nobel Prize does, who knows?

As mindless speculation, I'm going to guess that Nobel Prize lets you gift free great people to city states/civs periodically in exchange for a large diplomatic/relations bonus.

Here's my guesses:

Hakapeliitta: Gain an extra attack when adjacent to a GG

Carolean: can sacrifice 10hp for +1 movement

Nobel Prize: Whenever another civ generates a Great Person, You gain a diplomatic modifer with them and any City-State that you are friendly with.

Here's my guesses:

Hakapeliitta: Gain an extra attack when adjacent to a GG

Carolean: can sacrifice 10hp for +1 movement

Nobel Prize: Whenever another civ generates a Great Person, You gain a diplomatic modifer with them and any City-State that you are friendly with.

Every Hakapeliitta essentially having blitz with a GG -- not a difficult thing to get by the time you get to Cavalry -- sounds pretty massively overpowered. And having to sacrifice HP for movement is a strange mechanic and doesn't make much sense. That Noble prize ability sounds cool, but I'm hoping for something that helps me generate Great People myself. :)

I like the idea of the Hakapeliitta ignoring Zone of Control while in radius of a GG. It's a useful ability with definite strategic value and not overpowering. As for the Carolean, I honestly predict it will be "just" a Musketman that starts with March. Those sound like pretty powerful UUs to me.

Good enough?

GOOD ENOUGH???

That would make it the best unit in the game. The march promotion is the highest priority for infantry units. If you have a medic close to them (which frankly, you should always do), then they can heal 2 per turn, every turn in enemy territory. That means that they can finish off a weak/ranged or backwards unit, and still be at full health afterwards. It means when defending they are pretty much invulnerable to attrition tactics. It means that you can make them do that risky 5 damage vs 4 damage attack to get rid of that pescy unit, and still heal back to a reasonably 8 health afterwards. It means that when you've conquered a city, you dont need to reqroup for more than half a turn, and can press home the advantage.

Damn, didn't realize it was that high. I don't usually take it because it is so far along the path. So, if they do give it march, I suspect only two movement. Alternatively, maybe they'll give it a weakened version of march as an ability, rather than the promotion. Rather than heal 10 per turn (with 100 HP system) they only heal 5 per turn if you move the unit.

If I remember correctly it was said that bonus is related to being stacked with generals?

Well, for historical accuracy the hakkapelitta should get the "pillage costs no movement points" bonus...

Maybe we have it backwards? They get the pillage bonus, or even auto-pillage when on enemy hex, when they are NOT near a great general that could keep them in line? :)

Wouldn't that overlap with the Sipahi too much?

Wouldn't that overlap with the Sipahi too much?

So it would. Yeah, there's only so many things you can do with light cavalry...

Mmm... Combat bonus when attacking cities when near a great general? That would also make sense "historically".

Every Hakapeliitta essentially having blitz with a GG -- not a difficult thing to get by the time you get to Cavalry -- sounds pretty massively overpowered.

You usually have 1 Great General at the battle front, so you only have 1 UU to do it, and you are maybe sacrificing an ideal position of the GG to the other troops (not in the 2 hex radius anymore). So a big bonus is being balanced by this. Maybe the bonus is strong enough for having a second or third GG at the frontline, but you would be sacrificing Golden Ages for that, or it would be difficult to get 3 GG.

Top Bottom