Sweden

Since starting a GA late in the game with a GP isn't so effective and some resources can be essential, giving a CS a GP can be very effective.

But this depends on much they have decreased the effectiveness of gold - influence (I hope very much).

Also, I do (I have noticed) very often end up in a nasty war just about time for muskets, so I can so see myself playing Sweden a lot.

Hmm, and yes I am Swedish.

I like Sweden's UA and I also like the fact that England is getting an extra spy.

Maybe I should throw Kiruna in there somewhere, it's iron-mine are practically the reason Sweden didn't get involved in WW2, (and also practically the reason Norway and Denmark were)

Wait,what? Norway and denmark were involved in ww2? Alliances or Centrals?

I think Sweden's UA is horrible. Why the hell would I give a city state my 1st,2nd or 3rd great person, when I could bulb, construct a wonder, or do much better things.

The benefits of CS in G&K better outweigh those factors.

I think Sweden's UA is horrible. Why the hell would I give a city state my 1st,2nd or 3rd great person, when I could bulb, construct a wonder, or do much better things.

The benefits of CS in G&K better outweigh those factors.

It depends on how much harder it is to get benefits from CS and what they provide. A great artist would make sense, because the alllied culture and resources would outweigh the monument amount or a culture bomb.

Great General or Great Admiral would also work well for that purpose, especially if you have a bunch of extras floating around.

Great prophet, if you're not actively playing up religion, would be excellent for that purpose.

Early GE I would probably save and use, as well as GS. but the others, I'd think about it. And in the late game they could be really useful.

I think late game they would be worse. Everytime you pop a GP, the bar for the next GP gets set higher.

Your first few GPs are more likely to either be Scientists or Engineers because of how the wonders / building slots are set up. I guess you could use great artists, especially the 2 popped by the louvre...

I mean, plus you've already had an entire game to win the CS' favor if you really need the bonuses offered by one CS.

Although depending on how the 10% bonus works, I will rethink my opinion.

It looks like Sweden will go for diplomatic victory the most, but that makes sense. Wasn't one of the UN General secretaries Swedish?

I wonder if can tell Swedish apart from Danish. How different are they now?

They're mutually intelligible.

From what I understand (being American and not speaking either), they can understand each other, but Danes think Swedes are singing and Swedes think Danes are talking through a mouth full of potatoes. :lol:

~R~

Add to that: Norwegians are always joking.

And you are spot on ;)

They're mutually intelligible.

They still sound really different and even written Danish looks quite different from Swedish that is spoken for example in Stockholm. In southern Sweden their dialect sounds more like Danish.

Btw. If I have understood it correctly Finland Swedish is much closer to old Swedish than modern Swedish that is spoken in Sweden. Finland Eurovision contestant is singing in Finland Swedish. So Gustaphus Adolphus should speak rather Finland Swedish than modern Swedish. I dont know if she sounds weird for our Swedish fanatics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43GWoVxRk2Y&feature=related

They still sound really different and even written Danish looks quite different from Swedish that is spoken for example in Stockholm. In southern Sweden their dialect sounds more like Danish.

Btw. If I have understood it correctly Finland Swedish is much closer to old Swedish than modern Swedish that is spoken in Sweden. Finland Eurovision contestant is singing in Finland Swedish. So Gustaphus Adolphus should speak rather Finland Swedish than modern Swedish. I dont know if she sounds weird for our Swedish fanatics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43GWoVxRk2Y&feature=related

You got that somewhat wrong, as that would depend on the finnish accent;
The ones from Österbotten or Åland are somewhat less influenced by finnish than the ones in southern Finland. While some of the Österbottnian ones are truly archaic a rural accent from Sweden proper would be equally so. The most archaic, as accents go would probably be Överkalixmål from northern Sweden. Having him speak in an obviously finnish accent (like the one in that video) would probably come off as wrong and almost insulting, to a modern swede that would be like having Elizabeth speaking with a South African accent.
So modern mälaredalen-swedish I'd say! Anything else would be wierd.

EDIT: Unless, you know, they reconstructed old Swedish.

Can I take a guess at the city list?

From what's evident by the photos thus far it seems to start with:
  • Stockholm (capital)
  • Sigtuna (Not a very notable city today, but was so historically, also is the oldest city in sweden)
  • Helsinki (capital of finland, though not a very important city during the Swedish Empire, the Finnish administration was carried out from Åbo (Turku in Finnish and English))
Then I'd guess that the followup will be, though this is tricky, taking into account the Finnish cities, as well as size vs. historical significance, I'll work from the assumption that Finland and Estonia in the Swedish civ will have about the same amount of representation as Norway, Iceland, the Faroes and Greenland in the Danish Civ:
  • Gothenburg (Second largest city in Sweden, as well as largest port)
  • Uppsala (fourth largest, famous for their University, and Old Uppsala was the location of the most famous norse pagan temple
  • Malmö (Probably spelled Malmo or something like that, can't recall any umlauts in Civ 5, third largest swedish city)
  • Skara (Important Church-city, and during the middle ages, if i remember correctly, the oldest curches in sweden are located 'round here)
  • Västerås
  • Turku ((Åbo) "capital" of finland during the Swedish Empire, also Finland oldest city)
  • Karlstad (Important maritime city during the empire)
  • Visby (the City on Gotland, important during the Hanseatic League)
  • Tallinn ((Reval) capital of Estonia)
  • Örebro
  • Linköping
  • Helsingborg
  • Jönköping
  • Norrköping
  • Lund
  • Umeå
  • Gävle
  • Borås (Born and raised, good enough reason for me :p, All cities on the list between Örebro and Borås are in order of population)
  • Mariehamn ("capital" of the Åland islands, an almost completely Swedish-speaking autonomous region of Finland
  • Stettin ("capital" of Pomerania during Swedens Reign)
  • Nyenskans (St. Petersburg, really. Because SCREW YOU Russia! We were there first! :p)

Or maybe they'll just copy straight of wikipedia:
Spoiler :

• Göteborg/Gothenburg
  • Malmö
  • Uppsala
  • Västerås
  • Örebro
  • Linköping
  • Helsingborg
  • Jönköping
  • Norrköping
  • Lund
  • Umeå
  • Gävle
  • Borås
  • Eskilstuna
  • Södertälje
  • Karlstad
  • Täby
  • Växjö
  • Halmstad
Honestly I think Skåne, Halland og Blekinge should be Danish in Civ, as this is not just a game about the last 350 years.

Top Bottom