1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish start bias is killing me

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Louis XXIV, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I've tried starting a game with Sweden a couple of times, but I really end up struggling. Part of the reason, I think, is that I'm surrounded by tundra the entire time. My deer and fur aren't really enough to overcome other cities. I also find expansion to be awful because all the cities I found can only get fur and deer ;)

Seriously, anyone else have trouble with starting locations for them?

2. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Turn off start bias, enjoy Sweden!

3. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

I don't know what map type you were on but I haven't found this to be any worse than others, and I don't usually disable start bias. Maybe try small continents? Mind you I got a heavy jungle start recently playing as England, so sometimes the game just has a laugh!

4. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I wonder why they thought that Sweden should have a tundra start. But I guess, their research department must have slept during their "research Sweden day".
    I mean, wrong picture of the king, or if it is the right picture, the wrong king name. (They
    Tundra start, we don't have tundra here. This should go to Denmark, since they at least have a unit that can fight better there (Norwegian Ski Infantry).
    A UU that must be the crappiest in the game (Hakkapeliitta).
    The opening line that the king says "Snow King". That was something that was used by the enemies of Sweden, to mock Sweden.

5. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Since when does Sweden have a start bias?

6. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I always thought they had 'Plains' as start bias? Or was it changed with bnw?

7. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Sweden with tundra...? Hmm... I dont really think of tundra when I think of Sweden. Beautiful blonde women, high quality steel, Volvo, former great military power, and today, sadly; mass rape and burning cities, yes. But tundra? Not so much.

8. DemonMaster

First, mass rape and burning cities???????

Then, people have been accusing Firaxis for using Wiki to do their research, but, regarding Sweden, I wish that they at least would have used that, but It's hard to believe they even have used that when they "researched" Sweden.

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I haven't heard of mass rapes and burning cities in Sweden either. Government censorship?

10. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Securion must be Bill O'Reilly's civ fantatic handle. His show isn't on basic cable in Europe, therefore, it must be in ruins by now. No country could last more than a few months without Billo obnoxiously shouting his opinions at you through the television.

11. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

This. I never use start bias.

12. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Sorry to say, but Sweden has the highest incidence of reported rapes in Europe and one of the highest (second place) in the world... And burning cities was on the frontpage of CNN, BBC, etc... Your prime minister spoke about it even... unless Frederick Rheinfeldt is some sort of stand up comedian, and not your prime minister, and I have missed the point completely...? :shifty:

13. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

...? :huh:

14. DemonMaster

And if your source would have read that wiki page ;) a little better you would have noticed that the reason for that so many "rapes" are reported in Sweden is that, the definition of what is a rape is much broader in Sweden and Sweden like statistics and since women are more equal here than in many other places, they report more and therefore end up in the statistics more. Experts say that if you take away those aspects, Sweden end up on the average in Europe.

Regarding the city burning, yeah, there where a small riot in a suburb and the Swedish Prime minister who also has a crises right now (he is not popular right now) tried to cash in some points. The riot, some "kids" that burned a whole bunch of cars, that's typical Swedish for you. Because it happens so often ;)

15. MadKingAerys

MadKingAerys Chieftain

There was a thread on updated BNW start bias XML, and Sweden was given a tundra starting bias.

Personally I'm not sure if any civ capitol should have a tundra bias, even the nordic ones.

Although I did have a tundra start once with 6 deer within city limits.

16. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Spot on.

One must be careful of what they read. It`s all about what you define something to be. Rape can be a VERY contentious area since it can get to be a case of `rape` if the woman just thinks it`s rape, regardless of the situation, some say it should be. It`s a dangerous situation that can lead to false accusations.

17. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

You try playing wider? Sucks when capital is in a poor location, but you can get some good secondary cities going with enough effort. I had one game where I started on a small patch of plains and surrounded by desert. Second city managed to grab Petra and became my best city by the end of the game.

Could also try moving the settler at beginning.

18. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Hills and mountains, sure. Tundra, no.

19. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

I have always found the start biases wonky. Flood Plains for the Dutch? Come on now.

20. deity12

deity12 Chieftain

There is always Dance of the Aurora, then again my Sweden starts tend to be covered in forest. And that pantheon still ain't very strong imo.