switching between Civ IV and Mac OS

fantod

Chieftain
If I remember correctly, when I played Civ 3 back in the day there was a way to "suspend" the game and get back to Mac OS, and then return to the game, without saving, exiting, and restarting. For example, if I want to manage music playing in iTunes, I just want to pop out of the game for a moment and then return to it.

I've been trying to find how to do this, but haven't found a mention of it anywhere. Maybe I'm not supplying the proper search query. Anyway, I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows how to do this, or if there is no way to do this?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Command (that's the one with the Apple on it) and H should work. It's the universal standard across Mac OS X for Hide current application.

As Flintlock says, though, it's much easier to run in a window. Hold the Alt key down when you start Civ4 up and you get a dialog where you can choose window or full screen, what resolution you run in, and which screen if you have more than one.

Command (that's the one with the Apple on it) and H should work. It's the universal standard across Mac OS X for Hide current application.

Certainly works for me. Now, if only there were a way of running BtS in XP via BootCamp and then flipping over to MacOS at the press of a single button...

(Yes, I could have got Parallels or the other one, but BC seemed like the best option at the time.)

(Yes, I could have got Parallels or the other one, but BC seemed like the best option at the time.)

On my Mac Pro I am running Parallels and Civ 4 Beyond the Sword with no problems. Parallels has 'official' support for Civ 4, so it runs VERY well. It seems to be able to harness a great deal of my Mac Pro's power as even playing massive games with 18 Tribes, turns take seconds.

The only thing is that I now run Civ 4 in a window, and the my old method of scrolling around the map was to mouse to the edge of the screen .. which is difficult when the mouse wont stop .. so Ive had to learn to use the keyboard arrows to scroll around.

So very worth it to be able to play Beyond the Sword again :)

Top Bottom