1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Nationalism?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by TyranusBonehead, Jun 9, 2005.

1. TyranusBonehead

TyranusBonehead Bound & Determined

I decided to try an experiment in different forms of government than I would normally pick. I set up a game with me playing Germany, against Russia, England, and France. I thought I'd run Germany from Despotism->Monarchy->Nationalism, but when I tried to switch governments to Nationalism and had gone through that period of anarchy, (even though I had researched Nationalism), I couldn't pick it. I wound up picking Republic, which is fine, but isn't the form of government I intended. Any ideas why I can't select Nationalism?

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Nationalism isn't a government tech.

3. TyranusBonehead

So I should research fascism?

4. Bartleby

Unless you're heading for hair-rasing war, Republic is probably best. If WW is intolerable I'd probably choose Monarchy or Communism.

5. TyranusBonehead

Actually, yes I was intending to go to war. Right now there's an alliance between Russia and England so it appears that France will be my first target. I was also kind of interested in seeing how the Panzer unit performed, but I'm still a ways away from getting tanks.

6. Bartleby

To tell you the truth I don't have enough experience of governments other than Rep or Mon to be able to give useful advide, other than try digging in the strategy forum for the various "Rep v Mon" and "Com v Fas" threads there. Really if you have some luxuries, or can capture some fairly quickly, you might be surprised to find just how much war you can wage under Republic.

Edit: A very important thing to consider is that you don't want to go changing governments willy-nilly. Especially if you make territorial gains in your war, another anarchy period afterwards will be agony.

7. Wes The Great

Wes The Great Chieftain

Right before war preparations might be the best time to change governments as you have probably built all the new city improvements. When you are settled in at your position in the game.

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Making more than one switch for a non religious civ is not a good plan, especially when the two you switched to are available in the same age.

9. Shadzy19

Shadzy19 Warmonger

The only change i would consider when im not playing a regilious civ would be from rep > com and that is only if im gonna have a lot of fighting or i have a huge empire with lots of corrupt cities.

10. TyranusBonehead

To follow up on this post I went Despotism->Monarchy->Fascism

So far I've been pretty successful at playing the warmonger. Not really sure that choosing fascism over republic is really the cause. I think I could've easily achieved the same results with republic. Just playing around.