Switzerland vs the world

So much for any sort of European "union". Can you imagine if there were states in the US who didn't want the residents of some states, but not all of them, to move there because they considered themselves to be somehow superior to those who wanted to relocate?

Surely you're aware that Switzerland is not part of the EU. Surely.

It's not like he is the only American who doesn't know that.

Besides, to his defense, Switzerland is part of the countries that have a special customs connection to the eu. (not that this means they even have to be in Europe :D ).

I find weird all the blames thrown at Switzerland as if they were the new White Supremacists.
They have A WHOLE QUARTER OF THEIR ENTIRE POPULATION as foreigners. Isn't it a bit high to cry about racism or the like ?
I think at this level, they are entitled to be allowed some control over who can move in.

I find weird all the blames thrown at Switzerland as if they were the new White Supremacists.
They have A WHOLE QUARTER OF THEIR ENTIRE POPULATION as foreigners. Isn't it a bit high to cry about racism or the like ?
I think at this level, they are entitled to be allowed some control over who can move in.

Well, on the other hand, there are not really any "swiss nationals" other than the french, german and italian main lingual groups there. The entire country was maintained as a form of buffer-zone for France and Austria. Even during ww1 there were many volunteers both for the German and probably also for the French side. Even the famous (and my own favorite) Swiss painter Paul Klee was drafted at the time..

Spoiler :

You can't just rule out all that "cultural enrichment" and "diversity". Switzerland have really hit the jackpot and they haven't even reached FGM, honour killings and sharia law yet!

Surely you are aware that I was referring to the excerpts from the article immediately above my post. "Surely". :crazyeye:

Immigration has become a polarising issue across Europe.
More prosperous nations are growing worried their welfare systems cannot handle an influx of workers from economically weaker Eastern European countries.
parties with anti-immigrant platforms in France, the Netherlands and Norway are gaining strength, and there have been sharp debates in Britain and Germany
over limiting the number of immigrants from Bulgaria and Romania because citizens from those countries gained full access to EU job markets this year.

It's not like he is the only American who doesn't know that.
It's not like you don't jump to similarly absurd conclusions about my opinions on a regular basis. :lol:

You mean like voting to ban minarets?

Do you think the EU should operate as a unified country where people can move as they choose? Or not?

I like Switzerland, but they should keep in mind that their economy is to a huge degree based on banking of (current) eu-citizens money.

I think this is a (all too) common misconception (thank you Hollywood). Banking certainly is much more important for the Swiss economy than it is for other economies, but to think that our economy is based largely or even exclusively on it is just flat out wrong. The financial sector in Switzerland makes about 11% of our GDP, and that includes insurances. If you count banking alone it goes down to below 7%, and that still includes domestic banking (and banking with people outside the EU). About half of the money banked on swiss banks is domestic.

Well, on the other hand, there are not really any "swiss nationals" other than the french, german and italian main lingual groups there. The entire country was maintained as a form of buffer-zone for France and Austria. Even during ww1 there were many volunteers both for the German and probably also for the French side. Even the famous (and my own favorite) Swiss painter Paul Klee was drafted at the time..
:confused:
This is both seemingly vastly ill-informed, and completely irrelevant with the issue at hand. Is there a point here ?

Does anyone know how this will affect CERN (and other international organisations)?

Does anyone know how this will affect CERN (and other international organisations)?

IMO it's unlikely to affect them at all. After all most if not all of them came here long before the bilateral agreements with the EU (that are now at stake) were created.

So much for any sort of European "union". Can you imagine if there were states in the US who didn't want the residents of some states, but not all of them, to move there because they considered themselves to be somehow superior to those who wanted to relocate?

Ya wanna keep your culture, your values, your civilized way of life?

So did the American Indians.

Look what happened to them thanks to unrestricted illegal immigration.

Nuff said.

CERN was founded before and exists outside of the European Union. I guess it won't be impacted.

The treaty for collaboration in science is tied with the free movement of people treaty, so in theory all science collaboration is in jeopardy.

However, countries usually work together easily when it comes to science. The Synchrotron-Light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) is a collaboration of Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian Authority and Turkey and noone would believe that you can make all these countries agree on anything. The LHC/CERN will surely not be shut off.

Do you think the EU should operate as a unified country where people can move as they choose? Or not?
1) It was already pointed to you that Switzerland is not in the EU, so your point is, well, pointless.

2) Even in the case I'd play along : I think there should be freedom of movement, but I don't see the problem in putting limits. It's not like all freedoms are limitless. I don't see why a country should have the obligation to receive an unlimited amount of people.

3) And it deserves to be repeated : it's ridiculous to act as if a country were xenophobic when one quarter of its entire population is made up of foreigners.

1) It was already pointed to you that Switzerland is not in the EU, so your point is, well, pointless.
You didn't even bother to read the post where this quote originated? :rotfl:

3) And it deserves to be repeated : it's ridiculous to act as if a country were xenophobic when one quarter of its entire population is made up of foreigners.
So you are just going to ignore the vote to ban minarets I mentioned immediately above the part of my post you quoted, as well? That is if I ignore your blatant hyperbole?

IMO it's unlikely to affect them at all. After all most if not all of them came here long before the bilateral agreements with the EU (that are now at stake) were created.

CERN was founded before and exists outside of the European Union. I guess it won't be impacted.

The treaty for collaboration in science is tied with the free movement of people treaty, so in theory all science collaboration is in jeopardy.

However, countries usually work together easily when it comes to science. The Synchrotron-Light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) is a collaboration of Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian Authority and Turkey and noone would believe that you can make all these countries agree on anything. The LHC/CERN will surely not be shut off.

Yeah, but they've got lots of people working partly in France and partly in Switzerland, which might now generate mountains of paper work.

So you are just going to ignore
You'll have the right to try to give lessons to others when you don't yourself ignore what they say.

Also, your puerilistic (and misplaced) arrogance in your answers should go if you want to get more complete answers.

Top Bottom