1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sword of Islam: Strategy discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: The Sword of Islam' started by Jusos2108, Dec 9, 2010.

1. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Wait a tick, can you explain a bit how you got the 2nd UHV? Thanks! :)

Because unlike you, 1 and 3 I can do, but I find 2 to be the most difficult.

2. dragodon64

dragodon64 Noble

Hindustan includes Sindh but not Gandhar. For the first UHV, you must purge Islam from all of Hindustan except for Sindh, and for the 3rd UHV you must purge it from Hindustan and Gandhar (so basically the 1st UHV plus Sindh and Gandhar).

3. rock_star

rock_star Chieftain

Use catapults to earn all those Great General points.

I took Chittor early, and built 4 or 5 catapults with City Raider and sent them toward Anhilwara shortly after Gujarat spawned (in about 5 turns - enough time for them to move troops toward Dwarka), then built a second stack and sent that it into indy Gwalior. Each catapult stack reduced city defenses down to 0%, then attacked the city defenders.

You may lose the first catapult or two in the assault on the defenders, but with 5 catapults, the last three should definitely successfully retreat. Those retreats count as victories toward the GG. Plus, you'll have weakened the defenders down to 25% on each attack. Even with healing between turns, the archers/javelinmen only recover to about 50%, which your cats will handle with ease thanks to the CR promotions - plus they'll recover health as they're promoted up to CR3 & Barrage. Anhilwara had 4 or 5 defenders while Gwalior started with 2, then built a 3rd, giving me 7-8 points per turn. :D

Build an axeman to defend your catapults, as well as the occasional catapult to assist your stacks or replace dead catapults, and you'll have your 3 generals in no time (1 settled GG allows you to build level 2 units - City Raider 2 cats make the job even easier). I was trying to see how quickly I could earn my 3 generals, so I really wasn't expanding initially (but in RFC, that's both good and bad - while you won't have better developed cities due to later conquest, you can do better techwise from having fewer cities for the longer period of time). I suggest attacking a city for several turns (5-6) before capture, then move on to the next. This way you can earn tonnes of points but still expand in the process.

4. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

This reminds me: Great generals are not just born from victories...the best and last strategy of all is retreat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36_Strategies
    If all else fails, retreat (走為上/走为上, Zǒu wéi shàng)

5. jammerculture

jammerculture Chieftain

rajput horse archers promoted up the flanking path are great at racking up GG points. Just travel back and forth between Sindh and Gaznavid lands reducing cities to one defender then moving on.

3 GG's is easy

6. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

I tried the first Makurian srategy outlined earlier, but can't get the six luxury resources required for the UHV. What am I doing wrong?

7. 2phunkey4u

2phunkey4u West-Eastern Divan

Well, what cities do you found? Look at the distribution of resources in your border provinces and see and you can get enough cities to get 'em. I use my 2nd settler to found Meroe. While it only has one luxury resource, it's productive and can produce settlers and workers as quickly as Dongola.

8. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

9. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

No, I used this one, which I thought came first. In one playthrough (not my first), I mistook the Gold and Silver at Mashra Shababit for Luxury Resources and forgot to settle Kalabsha. In another, I built settlers as fast as I can, as well as extra workers to get the resources faster. However, I didn't have extra troops so I wasn't able to get Missionaries or Workers to Kalabsha (which I managed to build this time) because of Beduoin incursions.

10. Bluebags

Bluebags Chieftain

I founded 4 cities to complete UHV 1. It was pretty easy in the end, all you have to do is resist the temptation to go north until you have these cities in place:

1. Dongola on spot.
    2. Meroe from memory was 1SW of the dates. It got the iron in the BFC. Can't remember about the ivory, might have needed a second border pop to get that, but that was easy enough in the timeframe.
    3. Debarwa founded 2E of the gold to get gold, silver, spices and dates, plus the river.
    4. Massawa on the coast got incense as the final luxury.

11. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

Thanks. I'll try it later.

Update: Apparently, the Meroe spot lowers my research rate, meaning that the strategy of trading Long Distance Trade with Byzies and Armenia is unviable now.

Update 2: Actually, it seems like the entire tech path Jusos proposed is unviable now. Also, I wasn't able to settle Massawa on time.

12. Bluebags

Bluebags Chieftain

Hmmm... I used this strat on Sultan, so if you're playing on Caliph that could be the problem.

I certainly didn't have any problems with tech rate and was generally able to trade my way to a tech lead (though not in exactly the same way as Jusos says). I got all the same wonders and I'm pretty sure I got a bit further in the tech tree.

If you are playing on Sultan, perhaps you're just not building enough workers? You should have enough so that you can hook up health resources and cottage fast enough to basically keep up with city growth.

I just had a look at Jusos's screenshots and it seems he used farms rather than cottages. Perhaps cottaging doesn't work on Caliph?

13. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

Actually, I was playing on Sultan as well, and I was building farms instead of cottages as well. In truth, I hoped to trade Long Distance Trade for Cash Cropping (as well as four other techs) and then go for Agrarianism. That said, perhaps it really was not building extra workers that did me in. I was tempted to build Orthodox Churches right after building Monestaries for Research.

Anyway, my present strategy now relies on beelining Argrarianism, then continuing on to Religious Philosophy and Narekvank.

Update: Apparently, I also have to connect my resources to my capital.

Update 2: I decided to follow Jusos' strategy again, and just my luck, my ruling dynasty died. I chose the option where I got a Great Merchant and was thus able to get my research up to 100% while still having wealth. I'll probably lower the slider again when Massawa and Kalabsha get built.

14. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Does anybody have any strategy for the Fatimids, that does not include burning down the Levant?

Thanks!:)

15. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Take Mecca ASAP.

16. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Use the second post of this thread to find out..

17. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Jusos, are you going to be around to edit the list in future? If so I'll try to get the first post removed (alternatively I can copy it, but I'm all happy about someone willing to take care of it ;) ).

18. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

Okay, running into problems again. My Javelinman got killed in the Caucasus and I had to trade techs to the Fatimids to OB so that I can get in contact with the other Christian nations. This resulted in them not collapsing or collapsing later (causing Mamluks to spawn). What should I do?

19. 2phunkey4u

2phunkey4u West-Eastern Divan

What you should or should not do depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're going for UHV#3, there are ways to do it no matter which dynasty is holding Egypt betwen 1200 and 1300.

20. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Yeah, I'll be around.