Sword of Islam: Strategy discussion

Okay, sorry to double-post, but I need your help again. I managed to be friends with Baibars and Uzun Hassan, securing my northern froniter (which is heavily defended now). However, no one will trade me Iron, meaning that I cannot conquer Axum by 1500 (yes, I tried using Camels and Trebs, but it was a failure).

Edit: Nervermind, a reload yielded better results and I managed to get my UHV. I'm thinking of playing Ak Koylonu next.

Edit 2: On second tought, Mughals would be better.

Hi! A few of my observations:

I've won with Makuria, Byzantium, Yemen and I think Khwarezm on Epic (emir difficulty yet, will try harder later).

Yemen I think was relatively easy, not really any special strategies needed that I recall.

Makuria needed some replay. I captured some northern cities, but only left minimal troops as they flip (would be hard if left all troops there). Also it was interesting, I was sieging Cairo and the Ayyubids collapsed and before capturing the city the Mameluks appeared in midst of my siege :) Anyway it was a challenge.

I've tried Ghujarat, no success yet. I just can't get near the faith needed. I build the temples, convert the cities and still far from 90. Also, missionaries are not much help, most cities already have hindu and anyway there are too few cities. Also hinduism spreads in itself, often faster than my missionaries (and in the time it takes to train them, you might lose more faith points than you gain). Maybe it's different in normal speed, haven't checked yet.

I've tried Armenia also on both speeds with same strategy. Concentrated right on religious archtecture for cathedrals and built first three cities. On normal, I researched the tech at 1007 and built the cathedral around 1030's. On epic, the tech was researched around 1035 or later (tried like three times) and don't see no way of speeding it up further. (Curiously enough, in epic, Byzant had developed the long trade tech and had a lot of tech for trade, in my normal game they didn't , but that must be only the random element in each game).

Can't say anything for epic speed, but on normal conquering Sindh did the trick for me as Gujarat.

Been playing a bit around with Ortodox Fatimids, and just can't seem to get 5 friendlies ... i have Byzans, Makuria, Armenia and Georgia, but there aren't any other Ortodox to suck up to, since Cilicia haven't spawned the two times i've tried ... what is their spawn prereq?

Hi Amrod, you'll find good hints on how to get Gujarat done via the first posts of this threat. As for Armenia, the fastest way to get the cathedrals is to spawn a GP and bulb religious architecture with it once you've got the prerequisite techs. Getting stone from somewhere also helps, but I've never found it absolutely necessary.

Has anybody been able to complete the Malwa Legendary culture city UHV? I was able to beat the first two UHV's, but I was only 60 turns away from the last culture based UHV, when I hit 1300. Any tips on how to get legendary culture in your capital?

As for Armenia, the fastest way to get the cathedrals is to spawn a GP and bulb religious architecture with it once you've got the prerequisite techs. Getting stone from somewhere also helps, but I've never found it absolutely necessary.
Ah thanks, didn't think of GP.
Still, I'd think, I should be able to research a tech at about the same time on epic and normal... though I'm sure it's hard to make an rfc game for more than one speeds.

By the way, speaking of GP, I know there are the little icons in the left of the science tree, but I can't really use them (can't identify the small icons). Is there an easy way to see at a glance which techs can be discovered by which GP?

I played now Mughal (normal speed sultan). It's all right, except for
making the mistake of vassalizing Malwa. I think it was in RFC-Europe that I could complete control uhvs with vassals (?) but here now it doesn't count; and I couldn't find a way out of the vassal treaty, I can't attack them. Conquered everything, except Malwa. Goal failed :-(

You could've annoyed them by making constant demands, at some point even the most subservient AI snaps and declares war on you.

I agree there needs to be an easier solution, but that shouldn't be that vassal territory automatically counts for all goals. I'd rather like to have a possibility to release my vassals.

You could've annoyed them by making constant demands, at some point even the most subservient AI snaps and declares war on you.
I'll try and see that, thanks, though I'm not sure it'll work - there's only their cities left they could give and maybe they'll just not be an option..

I agree there needs to be an easier solution, but that shouldn't be that vassal territory automatically counts for all goals. I'd rather like to have a possibility to release my vassals.
Yes, that would be the better idea probably, just to not make the conquest too easy.

Has anybody been able to complete the Malwa Legendary culture city UHV? I was able to beat the first two UHV's, but I was only 60 turns away from the last culture based UHV, when I hit 1300. Any tips on how to get legendary culture in your capital?

I managed to get it by 1190 (Sultan, Normal). My first GP was a GA who I settled, then managed to produce 3 more who I bombed. Also switched to Religious Law and built the Royal Mausoleum (the +100% culture national wonder?) in the capital.

25k culture points for normal

any advice on Ajmer for latest version? delhi sultanate spawns at 1330 and sindhi respawn close after that. it's so close to 1400 [the third uhv] , that you cant possibly deal with it all.

also, other problems include the fact you can't do anything about islam spreading into your vassals cities [cant gift religious prosecutors, cant use them in their cities]. plus, another islamic indian civ spawns near 1400 in southern india too. the 3rd uhv just seems impossible.

you can either accept the flips of 1/2 your territory and take the mega stability hit, or refuse them and lose your armies that you built up to deal with it. so what do you do?

Check the links in the 1st post. For advice.

I just found the Hindu religious victory to be a good Plan B for Gujarat if you can't get to sainthood in time. I was two points from sainthood but had a cathedral-equivalent yet to build, so I knew I could get to 100 before too too long. Then I spammed farms throughout Gujarat proper, eventually got it to have the highest population. Last, make sure you have six markets so you can build the Royal Mint in the holy city, then put yourself into caste system (if not already there) and make the whole population of the holy city into merchants. Presto, religious victory!

I also tried the Sunni religious victory as a Plan B for the Abbasids, but I was unlucky in spawning a Great Engineer. Priest, Scholar, Merchant, and Artist are all easy, just use Religious Law and Caste System. General comes eventually, especially if you're very aggressive with the Buyids. And for the Spy I tried (and succeeded) to be the first one to Asymmetric Warfare. I'm sure a better player than me can get the engineer.

The seven great people is the hardest part. Royal Saint wasn't too hard, just built oodles of mosques and madrassas, and a Spiral Minaret to capitalize on them all. And the 50% Sunni thing is already one of the Abbasids' U.H.V. conditions, so that's been discussed previously.

I'm going to see what I can do about a Shi'a victory next!

I was also trying to meet this first UHV of Gujarat.
I was building around Ashrams and Mandirs and massacaring Sindhi disbelievers, but my just Faith Points didn't raise. Is there a modifier sinking faith points if a Hindu civilization does not use Caste System? And what are all the options to raise Faith Points besides building religious buildings, spreading state religion and conquer + massacaring population of another faith?

Stick with caste system, research religious techs, build Hindu wonder & shrine.

Top Bottom