Sword of Rome

Jean Lannes

Chieftain
This is a scenario of the Italian Peninsula, portraying the Rise of Rome from 390BC-275BC
Take control of 6 different nations/empires whatever you wanna call them :)
Carthage, Rome, Etruscans, Samnites, Greece, and Gauls. Each has its own units, again, I didn;t add any new unit graphics because it is simply too complicated for me. The scenario is really fun, but there is one bug I cannot get rid of. I've tried placing wonders in the cities, but from time to time the cities stil get razed by the AI. Therefore, I have included settlers, however, they're very expensive, and you can't build enough, quickly enough to really expand. Also, a tip, Gaul and Greece, watch your frontiers, there are Barbs everywhere in order to make expansion tough :)
Have fun! (great unit variety for fun purposes)

Suggestions are welcome, I did want to make a couple tweaks, but decided to wait what you guys think about it!

http://savefile.com/files/376705

PS: The beautiful map is completely done by SuperBeaverInc. I take absolytely NO credit for that :)

I'll take a look at it right now. I (might) post some screens for you.

Severe animation bug. I lost an army of legionary units (forgot what they are called) to a a half healthed rider army because the legions weren't fighting. They were just standing there and nothing happened.

Emmm....that's weird. But how could that be my fault? :S I mean, it's using the absolute same animations and graphics that you guys have. Maybe it was a one-time bug that happens now and then. I really don't know what to say. Has it happened more than onec?

Wow! This is more detailed than the Civ3 Conquest Rise of Rome. I'm glad you stuck the Etruscans in there. :)

Jean Lannes said:
Emmm....that's weird. But how could that be my fault? :S I mean, it's using the absolute same animations and graphics that you guys have. Maybe it was a one-time bug that happens now and then. I really don't know what to say. Has it happened more than onec?
I played it again and it didn't do it. Alright, so... I won as Rome.:)

Great scenerio all and all.

BTW I never said it was your fault. ;)

Oh ok ^^
Thanks for the praises. Were there any problems with some civs building a bunch of cities or some destroying the set ones? Hope not, that was my main concern

I never lost any, and all the AI that captured other AI cities were captured.

ok cool. That's good. Maybe rome is the only problem then, but since most of you will play as them, it won't be a problem at all. That makes my day ^^

Has anyone else played it? if so what did you think???

oops double post, never even thought about that tbh

ok thur 41 turns time to make a post...

very enjoyable indeed. played as rome..you better have your %$#% together from the get go. i learned quickly as i looked around you better make an alliance with at least one neighbor or you will have them all breathing down your neck wanting blood.
so after a reload and a game plan to prevent the shalacking, made neighbors with the etuscans and set my sights on the green men-samnite, but instead the greeks want to spare a few rounds, ok let's get it on. sams would not join an alliance so loaded up my armies-both of them with my best units trairii and quincunx and headed south, slamming the greek army there and waltz south. by now the greek and etuscan had dogpiled of their own accord. they took the easterm route down the boot, me the western route. we end up near thurii-on the foot of the boot. 2 armies of the etuscan battling an army of the greek. so i wait to see the damage, finish off the greek army and pull my forces back against the greek-drawing the line the sand calling for peace. etuscan's wounded army wonders into my territory and well this my opportunity to knock it out so we do it, then we hunt down the other etuscan army and wipe it out as well. now the samnites join thur mpp

protecting by northern border against further etuscan intrusion was a concern, so far so good. a gamble worth taking to kill off their armies so far from their borders. NOW its time for the green men to meet their match...
captured 5 of their cities and now working down the achilles heel. my armies are powerful, but a couple of battles they work down from 20 hp to about 2 or 3 as i looked on with angst.

VERY FUN INDEED!! i must say i have never seen a scen as just a solo biq before.

problems -----at times i have desired to secure the northern border with estuscan as i suggest peace which twice i have done so i can battle the green men only. but when i get the peace with tuscan the game makes peace with the green men samnite as well. twice that has happened.
also it seems resisting laborors take for ever to accept their destiny and become roman, maybe i am not doing something wrong....
ok on with the battle tomorrow or so....

very good job!

cheers
king stuart

Thanks, glad to hear you are enjoying it! When you say the laborers take so long to "assimilate", there's nothing really I can do about that. That's Civ 3 Conquests, not me. I could see if there are some settings though that I can change.
Then, you say that when you make peace with the Etruscans, you make peace with the Samnites too. Well, that's because they are in a locked alliance. They were total buddies at the time and bent on defeating Rome. That's why that happens. If you want, I could make them simply love each other (by relationship) but cancel their locked alliance. This way, the will probably never go to war, but they won't always support the other when one of them fights a war. What do you think of that?

re- samnites and etuscan-i thought that might be the reason but i could not see that in the dip screen.

would not change it just for me but if other feel the same. anyway good to know..
king stuart

I've played with the Romans for a while and here is my comments:

- I like the fact that it isn't easy to get money and you need to go off fighting barbarians!

- I think that the ships should be more expensive and land troops a bit less expensive.

- I think the Etruscans and the Smanites should be allied if it is historical correct. Besides it makes the game harder for the Roman.

- Cleaning polution takes forever and forever. IMHO you should really reduce the time it take to clean polution.

- You CAN increase the assimilation probability in the editor. My opinion is that it should be increased slightly but not too much because cities took time to adapt to their new owners so I like the resistance factor.

- I would suggest removing the ability to do Military Alliances otherwise the game becames too easy. I started with an MA with everyone vs the Greeks so I could expand easily at the cost of the Greeks. Despite them being ahead in terms of VP almost for all the game, they could have been eliminated if the war went on.

- I think the game would benefit if you would add more technologies. I think it makes games more interesting if you have to choose between getting better armies, navy or improvements.

- I specially like the fact that Armies don't have the Blitz ability. This makes Armies strong but you can't conquer the world solely with them.

All in all it's a good scenario. It's fast, it doesn't require any space and it's of an interesting period. Well done! :goodjob:

Jean Lannes said:

I know this bug, it happens now and then, but it had absolutely nothing to do with your Legionnaires losing. This thing often happens when you order a stack of individual units to attack a city for example, the units change so fast that the animation forgets to lay itself, but the damage is dealt all the same. That's if your unit manages to do anything right. ;)

Game: Sword of Rome
Result: victory by VP's after 120 turns.
Victory Points: Romans 40K. Greeks 30 K.

WARS

- First war vs Greece: got an MA of everyone vs Greece and Rome slowly advanced south until Rhegium.

- Second war was a backstabbing by Gaul, that decided to attack ignoring the MPP we had signed together.

- Third war vs the Etruscans-Samnites alliance. During yeares there was lots of fighting and very few conquests. After getting an MA with Gaul the Samnites went soft and there was a fast conquest campaign.

- Fourth war vs the Allies AND Gaul when they decided to backstabb Rome. Again!

SEE the picture of the final battle for Luceria and the attached map.

Alright I will take your suggestions to heart Luther Saxbourg. But I won't be her for the next week. As soon as I get back I'll make the changes. I hope you can live with that :)

Alright guys. I made some changes.

-Unit costs tweaked, with Naval unit costs added. I didn't even notice that Naval Units cost 0 shields hehe...
-Some unit stats edited
-New resource added---> Numidians, Carthage can now only build Numidian Cavalry and Numidian archers in Africa
-Flavors adjusted in order to make it harder for a Roman player to make alliances
-Starting Money changed in order to make Military Alliances not so common; a tip, lower your research drastically in turn 1, or you will run out of money VERY fast, especially as Rome

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7629107

Newest file (this one) also on page one post one)
Hope you like some of the changes, have fun!

ps: I might try to add some more techs, or simply make you start with less and give advantages for researching some of those. Hope that will make it even more fun!

Top Bottom