1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Sword-wielding female sketch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bbbt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

I remember a while back there was some speculation about a sketch of a sword wielding female that had been posted by a Firaxis character artist. There was theories it was Joan of Arc for an alt French leader.

That seems clearly not the case. But who could it fit? Would that work for a theorized Tamar depiction?

Edit: Did I make this a separate thread? Apparently so. Seems more coffee is needed today.

2. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

The United Kingdom of the British Isle & Atlantic
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

How do we know this sketch is for Rise and Fall? I know she works for Firaxis, but the sketch doesn't necessarily have to be for a R&F leader.

4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

We don't, but I'm under the impression that it was posted at a time when they would have been sketching out R&F leaders. Pretty sure it doesn't fit anyone we already know. But could be for future DLC or a leader who was dropped.

Siptah likes this.
  5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Boudicca?

6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

The sketch reminds me of Boudicca, but she's still a Great General in Rise and Fall.

Thormodr likes this.
  7. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Given that they're just outlines, what would we infer from it anyway?

But I'll go ahead and speculate for Vietnam. There's Trieu Thi Trinh, who is sort of a Vietnamese Joan of Arc figure. Or maybe the Trung Sisters.

8. Duckfromstatefarm

Duckfromstatefarm Chieftain

Yeah the Sketch kinda reminds me of Boudicca but she's not coming any time soon since she is still a great general. Who knows, whoever this female leader is with the sword, She could be one of the leaders later this year. If the Sketch is Boudicca she is most likely not coming to rise and Fall any time soon. Maybe later in the a future DLC or expansion but as of now she isn't coming.

9. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

It’s not Jean of Arc, that’s all that mattered to me. Phew....

Also, that sketch could also be for “Sean Bean’s daughter”. Those trailers usually start with hand drawings for reference.

Zaarin, bbbt and Phoenix1595 like this.
  10. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

The weapon may be a clue. In fact, it sorta changes-- the first few are of a lighter foil-type sword, while the latter are of a double-handed, heavier sword. If it were my guess, I'd say that they were very preliminary drawings, and aren't indicative of a final concept.

Zaarin and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Hmm, in a Reddit thread, a poster speculates "Amina of Hausa" as a possibility West African Leader/Civ, and she looks like she could fit the bill drawing and sword wise.

But Sagax could be right and this was just for the trailer!

12. liv

liv Warlord

Amina of Hausa would be great.
    One this is for sure it is NOT Tamar

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

That artist also has paintings of a variety of monsters and vampires pinned to the top of her twitter; that doesn't mean they're going to appear in Civilization.

bite, Phoenix1595 and Zaarin like this.
  14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I don't recall the details, but I'm pretty sure we had reason to think the sketches were work-related when she first posted them. Obviously not everything she posts is related to her work for Firaxis.

That said, even if they are related to her work for Civ, we may never see anything in the final product based on them.

15. oski90

oski90 Chieftain

Dahomey female warriors? Maybe we've been thinking about the wrong West African civ...although almost certainly this is my wish fulfillment talking, as I'd love to see an African civ among the final four R&F civs.

16. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Weren't the Dahomey particularly known for their use of guns, though? I might be confusing them with a neighbor, but I think it was them. They did have famous (at the time) women battalions.

17. oski90

oski90 Chieftain

Yeah, you're right - at least wrt the time when the Dahomey "Amazons" were discovered by the West and came into western consciousness. But the kingdom predated that era, I believe. In any event, it's almost certainly wish fulfillment.

18. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Right. And I have to admit that my knowledge is superficial. I believe the Dahomey imperial era and expansion is linked to the flintlock, though. This contrasts them with the Oyo, who tended to use more traditional weapons (though I think the sometimes used guns).

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

The twitter post simply says "Gestural warmups from this morning before work." Before work, not for work.

20. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

That's sketches from a figure drawing session it's not concept art for the game. I know because I have done figure drawing and that's exactly what it looks like. Google it (Beware Nudity).

Figure drawing, or live drawing is usually done for studies by artists and animators alike but are also used for warm-up. There's usually a live model for this but it looks like she used a photo reference instead.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018