1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Swordsmen vs Horsemen

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blackbird_SR-71, Mar 30, 2005.

1. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

The AI will not attack any healthy army in the field. Since it will not bombard it in the open, until it gets flight, that means they are completely safe in the open, horses or not.

It is a tough call to say a sword or a horse army is longer lasting. Neither will last long, swords harder hitters, but slower. That is probably a wash, since the horses get to a spot before the new units are there. Either way both will soon be put in the baby sitting or pilage only business. Horse armies pillage much better than swords.

The biggest reason for me to not use horses in an army, is they will become knights.

2. IbnSina

IbnSina Former Lurker

I said it all in another thread, but the point is: "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" As far as I am concerned, in the early game, speed is everything, defensive ability is nothing. My opponent does not attack my horses, because he can't get to them quickly enough. Instead, my horses attack and destroy the swords he brings against me. My horses run behind his lines and capture his powerful towns, forcing him to divert his attack. My horses confuse him and he splits his forces. I'll take horses over swords ten times out of ten.

3. Jopedamus I

Jopedamus I Immortality is reality

It depends also which difficulty level is played. For me, easy levels, horses are better BUT in deity and sid-levels I have been much more succesful with swords+catapults...that is because you don't need to think your attacking tactics below demi-god, just ride with horses and dumb ai will lose... :lol:

4. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

I choose swordsmen. You need about 2 horsemen to take out 1 spearman, but one swordsman can kill two spears. Of course, if I have horses and no iron, I build horsemen. But in other cases, Swords.

5. AndrewH

AndrewH Prince

I pick.... GALLIC SWORDSMEN ! ha ha

6. Beorn-eL-Feared

Beorn-eL-Feared Idiot riding pedals

Cheater Andrew !

7. AndrewH

AndrewH Prince

lol, hahaha.

8. Xen

Xen Magister

though I dont generally coem to this areaof the forum, thsi thread interests me.

Personally, I choose swordsmen; quality over quantity baby, and qualitywise, swordsmen have horse beat over quite plainlly; the caveat though is that ancient cavalry trumps everything in the ancient era other then the legionary (only people whom have never played agianst a good MP match go for persia. they loose that "offensice is everything" once they realiz other human players can make thier own decided offensives; when they encounter that, they learn that those defenive units are thiere for a reason, and of them all the legionary shines as the perfect multi role soldier)

9. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

They both cost the same, so there's no "quality over quantity". It's just strenght vs. speed.

10. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

No way. Nothing compares to catapult-trebuchet-cannon-artillery!

11. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

To me it's a question of if you had 500 shields to build your SoD with an eye towards future upgrades what would it consist of.
    Mine would be 8 horses, 5 swords, 5 cats and a warrior.

12. SJ Frank

SJ Frank Spamalot Co-court

If you're playing for GOTM or HoF and going for highest score, then horses are best due to their speed and upgrade path.

If you want to playing a peaceful builders game, and you want to take 3 cities, fight for the full 20 turns of alliance, revolt to Republic mid-war while building marketplaces and granaries at the same, then sword + catapult is the best way to go.

13. Alexfrog

Alexfrog Warlord

Upgrade a ton of warriors into swordsmen, and build horsemen...

Isnt that simple and gives the benefit of both? ;)

14. jupiterkris

jupiterkris Warlord

Mr X, who lives a couple of bounds away, declares war on you .
    You take out his attacking forces but that does not satisfy your hunger for revenge .
    His cities are too distant for a meaningful campaign .
    Enter terrorist horseman .
    Send one in a galley into his lands, and let it do its dirty pillaging work .
    Strats, luxes, workers, key roads; the enemy will wish they never laid eyes on you . :ar15:

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Is Mr. X Persia? :D

16. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

500 shields?

16 2/3 horses...

It's all about movement!
    Though on Sid I almost always wait until artillery before going to war (big wars anyway), so then I'd go for spears (ungrade to infantry)

17. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

When attacking, swords either win or die. horses have a much smaller chance to win, but because of retreat also a much smaller chance to die.
    On average you can say that taking a city will cause you roughly the same amount of losses with either swords or horses. I calculated some examples for this sometimes, and it made a difference depending on the defence, sometimes favoring the horses, sometimes the swords.

With the much smaller win chance, you need a lot more horses than swords however to take a city.

So losses are equal
    Much more horses are needed to achieve the same.
    Horses travel faster to remote locations.

My decision what to build is not based on this however. It is based on upgrade path normally.

In easy games where no bombardment is needed (Deity-), i will build warriors to be upgraded to swords and horses to be upgraded to knights.

When bombardment is needed (sid), i build swords and catapults for the offensive punch on cities, very few spear because it is cheaper to lose than a sword, and a few horses because they can move out of the stack to make a kill and get back in the stack. Prolly something like:
    60% cat, 20% sword, 10% spear, 10% horse.

18. Brain

Brain Lost in thought

Contrary to what has been said so far, I'll say that horsemen are better in defense than attack. The speed advantage is much higher on roads and you can use those horsemen for hit-and-run tactics to kill the enemy before they reach your cities.

Another thing that people forget is that horsemen loose the speed advantage as soon as they enter any kind of obstructive terrain. They aren't any better than swordsmen for crossing a jungle or mountain area, for example.

19. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Cavalry are probably the best unit in the game. Useful even in the modern age. The only disadvantage is the upgrade cost.

20. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I agree. By the way, how to konw the upggrade cost before upgrade?