Sydney Opera House

asioasioasio

Fallout Scrubber
The Sydney Opera House is located in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is one of the most distinctive and famous 20th century buildings, and one of the most famous performing arts venues in the world. The spherical-sectioned shells are reminiscent of the flotilla of sailboats commonly cruising there.

WARNING: High Poly - 1680 triangles - I' ve done my best but this sails still could be nightmare for old computers :crazyeye:
128x128 texture
button

(on the screenshot also visible modern harbor wich isn't the part of model ;))

I usually don't comment my models but this time i had to ;). I'm really amazed by this structure (i mean building not my model :lol:) - it always was architectonical masterpiece for me, and working on this model (wich was all day pleasure ;)) looking on the blueprints and photographies amazed me much more - this danish architect Jørn Utzon was real genious - the ships in the Sydney Harbour - awesome :) - this wonder should be in vanilla civ imo :)

ach - i almost forgot :):
Download here

Personaly I think the large foundation slabe looks to large, I realize its probably actualy more accurate the way you made it but it looks oddly empty from an arial view. Could the large portion of empty slab be chopped off and the remaining model enlarged to compensate.

P.S. With so many good wonders of the World coming out I may have to do another Wonder Package.

Thx :)

Aranor said:
As an Australian all I have to say is Bonza beauty mate!:goodjob: :lol:

:lol:

Impaler[WrG] said:
Personaly I think the large foundation slabe looks to large, I realize its probably actualy more accurate the way you made it but it looks oddly empty from an arial view. Could the large portion of empty slab be chopped off and the remaining model enlarged to compensate.

I think i'll rework some things - if i can drop down with number of pollies to about 1000 pollies (with loss of quality unfortunately :() probably i could also make smaller and simpler foundation - but all this changes needs time - because the model will be reworked (the inner sides of the shels - i 'll try to cheat the eye in that places) and new texture id than needed to put :). Of course there'll be both versions for download - but the simplified version could be better for slow computers.

Impaler[WrG] said:
P.S. With so many good wonders of the World coming out I may have to do another Wonder Package.

Hehe - it would be nice to play the wonders i thought they should be in game :)

There tends to be lots of people on the slabby bit so it's not so empty as you might think. When I was there at a Crowded House concert (last one too), it was not surprisingly, very very crowded. :D

Probably it depends who and what plays and Crowded House without crouds - it would be weird :D

Hi, I'm not that experienced customizing the game, and whatever I do I can't add the building in, it is just invisible for some reason, neither the button nor the actual building are visible. When I built it, the city just rotated rather than adding your excellent building graphic. I have edited it into all the buildings, art and text XML files, and nothing has happened :confused: Can you help?

Ok I'll try to help
Here's tutorial for adding buildings by Chamedrys
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=188708

First check if you have made all everything step by step and if yes - check again the paths in graphic files - if you link in xml to the correct graphical file and correct folder (it's what jus happaning very often for me - it gives pink buttons or red blobs)

Make sure you used this settings in CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml:

<BuildingArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_OPERA_HOUSE</Type>
<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
<fScale>1.0</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>0.8</fInterfaceScale>

<NIF>Art/Structures/Buildings/Sydney_Opera_House/Sydney_Opera_House.nif</NIF>
<KFM/>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings/opera_house_button.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings_Atlas.dds,6,15</Button>
</BuildingArtInfo>

and this in CIV4CityLSystem.xml
in <!-- LEAF 4x4 BUILDINGS --> (I just coppied great lighthouse and pasted bellow)

<ArtRef Name="building:BUILDING_SYDNEY_OPERA">
<Attribute Class="Scalar">bNoWaterTest:1</Attribute>
<!-- this bypasses water testing -->
<Attribute Class="Scalar">szSpecialLayout:Water</Attribute>
<Scale>2.2</Scale>

</ArtRef>

I've completed a very nice looking Modual configured for my new Modual Loading system, I found that copying the Harbor LPlotsystem data for the building makes it look a lot nicer as it will get rotated based on the orientation of the coast (ocorse like the harbor it can get 'confused'). For the game data I basicaly make it a Taj Mahal clone but more expensive and avalible at Radio. I also included an extensive Pedia curtosy of Wikipedia. Asiox3 do you have an alternative proposal for the effects, I was also considering +25&#37; Culture in all Cities, its only half the effect of the Eiffel Tower but everyone can build Broadcast towers so this would be 25% that no one else can match.

Screeny of how it rotates with the new LPlot data, a copy of what you need to add is included in the readme, just cut and paste it (under HARBOR artdef), put the expanded LPlot into xml/buildings. Create a Custom Wonders folder in assets/xml and put the Harbor Opera House in their. Run my modular Loading DLL (WL 2.08 no game play changes) along with it. It loads all the new content at startup. I'll be making more moduals in the future and any number of these can be loaded simultaniusly.

P.S. I'm working on a modual using your Gateway Arch too a few other nice buildings found here on the forum, I hope you prove to be a fan and will use the system to distribute your artwork, it can help avoid situations like this ware limited knowlage of the details of XML moding limit people from using your artwork. Also I've noticed that their is a greyish square box around a portion of the button, the bottom and right hand side to be specific I've noticed this with a lot of custom buttons and suspect is some kind of alpha channel or backgroud artifact thats acidently left behind in the production process, any chance of getting an update to the button that removes this?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Harbor Opera House.zip
    66.1 KB · Views: 118
Impaler[WrG];4908350 said:
I've completed a very nice looking Modual configured for my new Modual Loading system, I found that copying the Harbor LPlotsystem data for the building makes it look a lot nicer as it will get rotated based on the orientation of the coast

Yup indeed it would much nicer, and large foundation doesn't look so bad cause it's hidden partially and fits well the shore. Thanks for hint.

For the game data I basicaly make it a Taj Mahal clone but more expensive and avalible at Radio. I also included an extensive Pedia curtosy of Wikipedia. Asiox3 do you have an alternative proposal for the effects, I was also considering +25&#37; Culture in all Cities, its only half the effect of the Eiffel Tower but everyone can build Broadcast towers so this would be 25% that no one else can match.

I like the Edgecrusher's idea - with for example +1 Commerce to All Artists combined with +50% culture in that particular city or +25% in all cities. But clone of Taj Mahal is also interesting idea.

Run my modular Loading DLL (WL 2.08 no game play changes) along with it. It loads all the new content at startup. I'll be making more moduals in the future and any number of these can be loaded simultaniusly. [...] I hope you prove to be a fan and will use the system to distribute your artwork, it can help avoid situations like this ware limited knowlage of the details of XML moding limit people from using your artwork.

I like this idea very much. And I'm glad that Medic unit found place as example in that mod :). In fact i was making it often as copy/paste changed the graphics - and make screenshot. As i understand i should alter gameplay - give bonuses change costs, required technology. It needs more work, but as you said it would be easier for people who starts play with xml. I'll try to publish future units / buildings with code. And in future rerelease existing one.

But still there are problems with buttons atlas and plots

Also I've noticed that their is a greyish square box around a portion of the button, the bottom and right hand side to be specific I've noticed this with a lot of custom buttons and suspect is some kind of alpha channel or backgroud artifact thats acidently left behind in the production process, any chance of getting an update to the button that removes this?

Yup probably i forgot about alpha or exported it as DDS 1.0 - it happens sometimes. I'll fix it today :)

Top Bottom