Syria or Iran ??? (travelling suggestion)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ramius75, Nov 16, 2007.

1. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

So what is a brain steam?

2. PersianBoy

PersianBoy Prince

Yes. I'm living now in Iran in one of western city of it. I mean in Hamedan, the capital of anceint Medes and one of eldest city in the world. but I don't recommond you to visit my city. maybe in your traveling I would have a trip to Tehran and maybe we would have a meeting but my trip is not planned like your trip, so I'm not sure in that time I will be in tehran.

3. PersianBoy

PersianBoy Prince

yes like any other country in the world there are some thiefs and roobers in my country and like any other developing country police departmetn have some unefficiency.
    that idea is cool. maybe you can try a tour for visiting Iran

4. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

I would love to do this. I had plans to go from Isntanbul, to Ankara, and then onto Baku. But it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon now.

:sad:

I have a good friend with wealthy relatives in Tehran. The next time her and her father go, I plan on tagging along. I absolutely cannot wait. Everything she tells me of Tehran sounds amazing.

5. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I've travelled to both Syria and Iran and would rate both as wonderful countries to visit.

I would slightly lean towards Iran as Esfahan would have to be one of the greatest places to visit in the world. Still remember sitting on the balcomy of a tea house over the main square as the sun sets, spectacular. Although sleeping overnight in the Roman amphitheatre at Bosra in Syria rates highly as well.

Have fun regardless.

6. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

well, i will try to bring a laptop for the trip also :D will check into Civ fanatic from time to time :D

If there are some day tour, i think we wont mind trying. :D

7. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

oh, thanks alot !! So any other tips for traveling in Iran ??

8. Ozbenno

Not really. It is alot more modern than you probably imagine. The people are very friendly and (if my experiences are any guide) will want to ask you many questions on a myriad of topics (religion, politics, soccer) and are genuinely interested in what you have to say. Its very safe but take the same precautions you would anywhere else.

Other places I really enjoyed were Yazd, Persepolis (my avatar is taken from here) and Shiraz (no wine though :( ). Bam was truly amazing as well but was destroyed in an earthquake :cry:. Didn't rate Tehren that much but interesting museums.

9. STATS

STATS Habitual Wonder Builder

Seems like visiting either one is little dangerous these days.

10. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

ok, thanks very much then :D

i only got about 8-9 days there and i havent plan a detail itinerary also, simply too busy....

will be skipping Bam thou, its too far away and i dont think i can ever make it to there.. and ya, it is a shame after been destroyed by earthquake...

So when u were in Iran, izzit an adhoc backpacking trip ?? or u have already booked all the hotels in advance ?? We have decided to only book the hotel once we were there... too lazy... and cheap...

Only if Israel or USA decided to attack anyone of them...

11. Ozbenno

I was there in 2000. My wife and I were living in the UK at the time and were returning to Australia, so we backpacked to Beijing and flew home from there. Took 8 months all up!

12. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Oh wow, i wish i got this kind of luxury... :blush:

13. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

The only place worth seeing in Missouri is St. Louis, and thats if you are careful.

:smug:

14. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Are you a cruise missile? If so, I would recommend Iran first, then Syria (with a brief tour of other Middle Eastern countries if your itenerary permits).

If you're a person, I would recommend sticking to more civilized countries, like Congo or North Korea.

15. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Yeah even more bloodshed in the ME would be just great

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Are you not aware that these leaders kill thousands of their citizens every year for political dissention?

US intervention = less bloodshed, in the long run. Just like in Iraq.

:quadruple rolleyes:

17. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

this post sums up to me everything thats wrong with the US view of itself in the world.

18. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Glad I could be of service. Please continue the childish and ignorant hatred of the US as scheduled.

19. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

This is a travel thread, sir.:crazyeye:

I'd recommend Iran. Seems like it would have way more to see. Syria as far as I'm concerned only has Damascus, Iran has hundreds of ancient sites, Tehran, etc.

20. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Leaving aside Ecofarm´s mature and informed hatred and returning to real world, I would go to Syria. Never was there but know somebody who has been there many times. There are loads of interesting places to visit. Not only wonderful mezquites and markets (Damascus was the capital of the muslim empire under the Umeyyas) but also old byzantine cities (they call them the dead cities), lots of crusader castles and christian churches and some of the best roman ruins in the world.