System requirements?

quasarsphere

Chieftain
Yes indeed, I am giving serious thought to buying a computer just so I can play ROMAND, because as I said a while back (ages ago, when I was playing the game that my computer couldn't finish), ROMAND is not the best Civ game I have ever played, it is the best game I have ever played. I love it so much that it almost physically hurts to read these threads knowing I can't sodding play the game!

So, if someone could tell me what I'll need to actually be able to keep a game playing until the end, preferably without having to wait several minutes between turns towards the end of a huge game - because huge games is what I want - I will be extremely grateful.

My one and only requirement for a computer (it will most likely be second hand, by the way) is being able to play ROMAND. Massive map, lots of civs, and maximum number of turns.

Number of Civ's is the biggest slower of the game.

I myself play on Gigantic maps, eternity speed.

I've found as Civ's spawn, as rebels, etc, it slows down the turn speed, middle ages was about 1 minute.

Now in Modern era, having eliminated personally 5 I think, and couple of other on other continent going the way of the DoDo. its down to 20-30 Sec's.

I have 2/3's of my contient, so does that speed things up??? don't think so, having less civ's to calculate moves, attitude etc for certainly speeds things up.

Hardware -

1 Meg Graphics card essential.
Large HDD, SSD drive, I've been told, is much better.
4 Meg of Ram as 32 bit game.
64 bit operating system, help with the execution.
Minimise graphics options, helps tremendously.

Myself I play on Ubuntu 14.04.2 under wine 1.6.2. I find it plays better then windows.

I have used a 486 with large maps, 256 Meg video card, and 1050x768 resolution (Uggghh)

Yes indeed, I am giving serious thought to buying a computer just so I can play ROMAND, because as I said a while back (ages ago, when I was playing the game that my computer couldn't finish), ROMAND is not the best Civ game I have ever played, it is the best game I have ever played. I love it so much that it almost physically hurts to read these threads knowing I can't sodding play the game!

So, if someone could tell me what I'll need to actually be able to keep a game playing until the end, preferably without having to wait several minutes between turns towards the end of a huge game - because huge games is what I want - I will be extremely grateful.

My one and only requirement for a computer (it will most likely be second hand, by the way) is being able to play ROMAND. Massive map, lots of civs, and maximum number of turns.

For a faster game I recommend you have
- 4 GB DDR 3 or DDR 4 RAM (as it is a 32 bit game it can't use more than 4 anyway.
- SSD hard drive
- 3 GHz Processor
- you minimise your windows display settings
- max 8-10. It really is pointless to have more, as the only end up being vassals of the larger ones anyway...

Top Bottom