T2 External Consulate - Capturing the Pyramids

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
Since the Portuguese have completed the pyramids and have only 3 cities, it would appear that we have an opportunity to capture that important wonder.

Once we have dealt with the Dutch, our forces will be in the North. If we were to get four or 5 galleys ready to pick them up, we could sail to Portugal quite quickly.

This may sound a long way off, and there are pro's and cons to this kind of venture. However, if you consider that the Indian war will start in 5 turns, and the Dutch war in 12 turns, then in only 25 turns we will be looking at this opportunity. How long will it take to get 5 galleys built and to the north of the continent?

Long term, it leads to an interesting scenario of taking out France and then being in a position to eat China from both ends at once.

What do you think?

I like this idea. One thing to keep in mind is that they have just started the Statue of Zues, so if we don't capture this shortly after its completed there could be a large number of ACs to deal with as well.

Note that the Byzantines are the only nation with a pending Wonder Cascade. It looks like they have Ivory near their capitol, but it might not be hooked up yet. Can someone with access to the save see if they have Ivory available?

Moth, I don’t believe the Byzantines have their Ivory hooked up.

I like the idea of capturing the Pyramids a lot. :love:

I believe we’ll need to think about the timing a bit (I think we’re looking at closer to 40 turns from now rather than 25, but maybe I’m being too conservative). At any rate, the general strategy is excellent: take Portugal, build a harbor, remain friends with China (until we decide to take them out) and make France our next target after Portugal and the Dutch. Spain is located up there too . . .

The Byzantines do not have their ivory hooked up.

Unofficial (RegentMan's opinion):
Do you know how long it will take to sail to Portuguese shores? By the time we build enough galleys and swords and get there, they'll probably have pikes. Plus, we're going to declare war outside their borders, right? Thus they have a turn or two to get in place. Additionally, Lisbon will be a huge flip risk. Unless we take out the Portuguese (which fifteen swords won't), then it may flip back at any moment. Maybe go after the Portuguese as our massive land army is progressing up the continent.

i would support this war after the Dutch and Indians have been conquered and after we switched to republic.

I like this idea. Pyramids will be very useful to get these 100+ cities, and Portugal is weak.

- Portugal has no iron (yet?), so we may never see more than spears and archers :cool:
- Sailing from Amsterdam to Lisbon seems to be about 15 turns (at least). It would be nice to see the shipping route before committing resources to this plan.
- If we switch to another government before finishing the dutch, then Amsterdam and/or another port city can quickly cashrush some galleys.
- If we capture this ..ehm.. Statue of Zeus, then it would build units for *us*, right? Then maybe wait for them to build it :mischief:.

Portugal now has SoZ too.

I am bumping this discussion as I believe it to be important. The dutch war will be over in 15 turns. If we are to do this then we need to plan to build galleys for the effort.

i wouls say deal with the indian and dutch, then come back to this question. later on in the middle ages. also can we have a map to see where they are in relation to us.

My job is long term stuff. This is a long term project, but needs to become part of my policy now in order that

A) build queues will deliver galleys for the job.
B) the COA can plan the war against The Netherlands to leave units in the North, ready for a seaborne invasion.
C) Conquering Portugal will give us a second route in to deal with France/Persia/China, and therefore we need to do it as soon as we can to be ready for that part of the conquest.
D) The sooner we capture the pyramids, the more quickly our power will increase. Population is everything.

On top of that, it is fairly likely that we will enter a building phase after the Dutch war to build libraries, markets and harbours (and cities). A small war for a big prize is doable without compromising infrastructure development.

Top Bottom