Table Prayers

It hardly counts as foreplay but it will do, even ex-post.

If you had some social connection in respect to your sustenance , would you say: "glad to have good stuff" with those partaking?
If I'm eating a meal that someone present has prepared I'll say "thank you", if that's what you're asking. However, being a household of one, I typically cook for myself.

Why say "thanks" for a meal you paid for yourself by working, and probably even had to prepair yourself.
I never understood that :)

Never. I don't own a table anyway. I eat alone in my room in front of the comp, in fact I'm eating dinner as I speak. And the food sucks anyway.

Distance from food = distance from people = distance from god

I say a quick prayer before I eat. For just a few seconds before I have my meal, I remember who really looks out for my need for provisions. After all, "Give us this day our daily bread" is in the Lord's Prayer.

Do you pray before eating a candy bar?

When I was in Texas we said a grace every time before dinner.

I think it's nice. Even though I was not religious, it was a moment where all the family came together.

Why say "thanks" for a meal you paid for yourself by working, and probably even had to prepair yourself.
I never understood that :)

Because people who give 'thanks' believe that such things are gifts from God.

We say a prayer at every meal; but my wife is more consistent at it than I am.

Respect your food and give thanks, you ingrates. Further, the only respectable holiday activity is fasting (save me your presents, cards, and obligatory happiness).

I respect my food enough to cook it well and not be wasteful. I'm busting my ass all week, buying it, and cooking it. Exactly who am I supposed to be thanking, here?

Further, the only respectable holiday activity is drinking. Save me your wallowing and penance.

Oh, and I'm not into that whole prayer thing. If I'm at someone else's table, I'll keep quiet while they do whatever they feel they need to do, but it would be rude for me to try to play along.

Haven't done a table prayer in a while, but participated in one (while standing around the kitchen) at my girlfriend's grandmother's house before we dug in to fried chicken.

The only table player in my family will be:

"Dear Lord, protect us from your followers (especially those from Middle East)..."

I say a little prayer myself. I don't usually eat with Christian people (my family is Buddhist and the Christians I know don't usually say grace, unless they do it like me and don't draw it out and stuff :p).

Oh, one time, I was at a friend's house, and we all said grace at the dinner table. I thought that was the neatest thing. I intend to do that with my family.

My family used to do those before I went through my radical atheist phase.

God is great, God is good. And we thank him for the food.
By his hand we all are feed, give us Lord our daily bread.
Amen.

But when we're with other people, we'll do the "Thank you for this we pray for that yadda yadda yadda amen."

Top Bottom