Tactical Fun #297

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
You are England and Cleo's left flank defence force has found your flank attack. How would you fight the next turn to quickly kill the opposition to get to Cleo in the best shape? Imagine all the ice is flat, no hills.... My answer in spoiler below may not be best, it's just my choice.

upload_2017-10-12_11-33-25.png

Last edited:
I'd divide damage. Archer and horseman for each swordman. Move the left horseman SW first and the archer to NW to avoid losing the archer on the counterattack, expecting the swordmen not to die on the first round.

One archer and one horse would probably not be enough to kill one sword. Then:

Retreat the left archer 1NE and both archers shoot the right sword, and the right horse finishes him off.
The left horse moves 1SE into the forest and slams into the left sword to soften it.

Next turn will be mopping up, if the scout does not run away too far.

Fun. I would do exactly the same as Mr. Radar, except I'd get the left horse in position first before attacking with the right one.
Side question - do archers provide flanking bonus? If so, would it be better to to move the right archer 1SW?

Fun. I would do exactly the same as Mr. Radar, except I'd get the left horse in position first before attacking with the right one.

Yep, for that flanking bonus, thought of that after pressing 'post reply'.

First, I would move the left Horseman to the tile in between the forests and the right Horseman to the tile right of the Swordsman. Then, I would pull the left archer to the NE, then I would attack the right Swordsman with both archers, then I would attack with both horsemen.

This Swordsman is now dead, the other Swordsman can only attack the horseman that killed his friend. If he does so, then the right archer moves to the place from which the victorious horseman attacked from last turn, I move the other archer one tile to the left, then attack with both archers, then move the healthy horseman into the left forest, attack with that one, then attack with the other horseman, which should be enough to kill the swordsman, if he isn't dead yet.

As for the scout, I don't think he can do much. Horseman would almost be able to one-hit them. Archers do not ever need to move more than one tile, so ZoC is not important.

question is if 2 archers and 1 horseman is enough to kill a swordsman, if so, I'd do the same as Mr. Radar. If the swordsman survived a horseman attack after both archers shot their arrows (check before attacking), I'd attack the eastern swordsman with the western horsman first (which then would end up in the forest) and with the eastern horseman second, so I'd have 2 horsemen side-by-side of the egyptian swordsman and scout.
Spoiler Like This: :

Last edited:
@Tech Osen ... both of your horsemen take 36 HP damage... I think it can be done better
View attachment 478669

question is if 2 archers and 1 horseman is enough to kill a swordsman, if so, I'd do the same as Mr. Radar. If the swordsman survived a horseman attack after both archers shot their arrows (check before attacking), I'd attack the eastern swordsman with the western horsman first (which then would end up in the forest) and with the eastern horseman second, so I'd have 2 horsemen side-by-side of the egyptian swordsman and scout.

From that screenshot is seems that it would take both archers and both horses to kill one sword. In that case, Leyrann's plan might be the best.

@Tech Osen ... both of your horsemen take 36 HP damage... I think it can be done better
View attachment 478669

Maybe, wondering if the swordmen will run or counterattack and if the later if they will focus on one of the horsemen. Don't think I'll loose either horseman if they don't focus.

Edit: I'm assumming I'm playing against the AI here. I would focus on killing one swordman if playing against a human.

Last edited:
The answer is here, do not look if you do not want to
Its just my answer, I am not the best player.. .
Spoiler :

First move all into position so maximum flanking is gained
The two archer shots get no flanking bonus but they count as flanking units for the horsemen
Then attack with the woods horsemen first as he will take more damage so has better defence terrain

upload_2017-10-12_12-33-22.png

and finally finish with the other horse... Cleo stands no chance now
Finishing position tight and well supported. The horseman in the woods has 2 supporting units and the one in the open has 3.
upload_2017-10-12_12-35-56.png

It may not be the best answer but it hopefully helped you with combat a bit
replace the scout with a level 4 spear and England has issues
If people liked it I guess I can do others but got to work now

Last edited:
The answer is here, do not look if you do not want to
Its just my answer, I am not the best player.. .
Spoiler :

First move all into position so maximum flanking is gained
The two archer shots get no flanking bonus but they count as flanking units for the horsemen
Then attack with the woods horsemen first as he will take more damage so has better defence terrain

View attachment 478674

and finally finish with the other horse... Cleo stands no chance now
Finishing position tight and well supported.
View attachment 478675

It may not be the best answer but it hopefully helped you with combat a bit
replace the scout with a level 4 spear and England has issues
If people liked it I guess I can do others but got to work now

i like that tactical discussion! if you do it again, upload a save, so we can try! just like GotM, but more like TotD (Tactics of the Day) :thumbsup:

i like that tactical discussion! if you do it again, upload a save, so we can try! just like GotM, but more like TotD (Tactics of the Day) :thumbsup:
Ok, I quite enjoyed the variety of thought. Next time I will do it vanilla so anyone can try it.
It certainly taught me a few things too.

@Leyrann, I shot the bows then attacked with the top horsemen first so they get the flank bonus... the issue now is the swordsmen will promote
View attachment 478673

My personal estimation is that the dice rolls were unlucky then, though I'm not certain. But as Turrdy said, if the swordsman doesn't die, and promotes, then he cannot attack and stands there at like 51 hp, while, with this outcome, the other swordsman cannot actually attack anyone. So you do not take damage (except if the scout yolo's into the horseman), then you attack with one archer, then the horseman, then the other archer, so you do not move in front, and just let your other horseman heal 10 hp, and use him first to attack next turn (after the archers of course).

Ok, I quite enjoyed the variety of thought. Next time I will do it vanilla so anyone can try it.
It certainly taught me a few things too.

It taught me, again, that I don't pay enough attention to combat bonusses. :sleep:

Top Bottom