1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tactical Fun #770 - The Siege of Brussels

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Victoria, May 17, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

As part of Suleiman's left flank you have to take Brussels in 2 turns to stop Harald building Oracle before your mighty leader. While the task may seem overly hard Ibrahim is on hand with his Serasker ability which is +10 combat strength while attacking defensible districts.
    The Archer has Volley and Arrow Storm Promotions (+12 vs land units)
    The Warrior has Battlecry
    The horseman promoted at B7 has Caparison (+5 vs Anti Cav)
    The horseman at B7 has taken 15 damage, C6 has taken 16 damage and D7 has taken 75 damage.
    The brussels warrior at D5 is not entrenched in the woods and the only ranged unit they had was an archer you have already destroyed.
    There are no units off screen that can help.
    If you cannot work out which tile row is 7 you should not play this.
    Warning!... do not play this if you want to play GOTM63 and have not done so yet. (why it is in spoilers)
    Spoiler :

upload_2019-5-17_20-29-45.png

A save is included if you want to play, no mods or scenario packs.
    It is just a bit of fun and if you are not excellent at combat it will make you think a bit. which is the idea.
    I will post in a week what I know works, maybe there are alternatives. If you think you know the answer maybe put it in spoilers?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Casualty of war likes this.
  2. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

In your save, the B7 horseman has 85hp (-1 damage penalty) and the C6 one has 84hp (-2 damage penalty).
    May I suggest to post the save only 1 week after the initial speculations have been done?

3. Victoria

I know where you are coming from Mr Q. You are a high ranked player and this is really just a bit of fun but importantly helps people understand ZOC issues and sequencing.
    It can be pretty hard for the average player to know all the combat stats. If people just want to guess and say first off I would shoot my archer then it can be replied to kindly.
    Also a lot of people do not want to look foolishj and just want to play and learn, thats fine
    My view.

acluewithout likes this.
  4. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Ok, I guess I'm a bit too old school in that regard.
    I'm just saying because I just jumped on your save and played it without thinking too much about it and I failed on my first try and now I'm mad at myself (lol)
    (Got it on my second try though)

Victoria likes this.
  5. Victoria

Yes, I take it you found it useful... when I played it for real I stupidly moved my ram without thinking. Like moving a settler next to a barb scout and expecting to be able to settle, done that one more than once.
    ... and 28 HP damage means you fight at -3

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

7. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Yes

acluewithout likes this.
  8. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Two turns mean starting turn and the next one? Because I can make it after two end of turns... and no Oracle is built...

EDIT:

Oh I got it :) I forgot that archer has range 2 (I am so much used to the mods I use...)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

LOL. You have to shoot with the archer at the warrior after it moves to where the horse was, so that it can shoot brussels the next turn. The warrior's only purpose in life is to flank for the damaged horse to kill the warrior. The other two horses on turn 1 have to hit Brussels with the battering ram after the warrior is dead.

10. V. Soma

yes, exactly

11. Victoria

?
    Two turns of movement ... which is one end of turn.

12. V. Soma

yes, I got it that way after finding that archer is normally with range of 2 :)

13. sa1vy

sa1vy Chieftain

Seeing homeless great artists like this always makes me sad. No one mentioned moving them next to Brussels. I don't think they give ZOC siege bonus, but the AI may send the warrior out to step on them after the first turn, thus lowering the city defense. Worth a try. Better than just just fog busting for a turn or two, and it's not like they die; they respawn at your city.

14. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

Yeeesh, that was close. Lots of important lessons in that scenario though. Thanks, Victoria.

Victoria likes this.
  15. Victoria

Yeah, was why I posted. I had a habit of moving a settler next to a barb then expecting to be able to settle with the leftover movement. Even if you then kill the barb the settler cannot settle. Similar with the ram in this game

acluewithout likes this.