Tactical Fun: Basics Series #1

man_in_finance

Chieftain
I saw some threads from @Victoria about tactical strategy scenarios. I found the simplest one the most interesting because you can actually learn something very specific about strategy so I thought about trying to revive it, hopefully with some kind of series that builds a little on each other, and generates some interesting discussion.

Rules:
Flanking/Support: YES
Health: 100HP all units.
Promotions: None
Social Policies / Government / Religion Bonus: None

Info:

Warriors: (Base Strength: 20, Movement: 2, Cost: 160gold or 40prod)
Swordsman: (Base Strength: 36, Movement: 2, Cost: 360gold or 90prod)

Objective:

You play as Aztec warriors, starting on your turn, objective is to kill the swordsman, with minimal units loss.

Assumption:
Swordsman will attack any available warrior when it becomes his turn (probably the weakest).

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 18.58.10.png

Spoiler Spoiler: Fortify and Attack.. :

As mentioned in a few post below one option is Fortify and Attack...

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.55.15.png

Aztec - T1:
Fortify warriors 1 and 2 (gaining +3 CS) and move 3 into supporting position providing (+4 CS support to all warriors)
Greece - T1: Attack warrior 2, make sure to attack from the right so that flanking requires more movement from Aztec units on next turn.
Aztec - T2: All units need to move to get maximum flanking. Warrior 3 attacks first and takes slightly more damage, warrior 1 attacks next. Warrior 2 does not attack, this prohibits the swordsman killing it next turn and also reduces the XP the swordsman is acquiring before his turn.
Greece - T2: Swordsman moves out of flanked position and attacks warrior 1.
Aztec - T3: One attack should finish off the swordman, a second is available if needed

Almost always all warriors survive and collect a fair amount of XP .

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.00.47.png

This is a good example of how 3 individual units can challenge an army (usually armies are +17 base strength) since in this example the swordsman is +16 stronger than any base warrior.

Last edited:
Aztec starts with Eagle Warriors which are 28 base strength :smoke:
Ha, good point, but not in world builder and not in this map. Only chose Aztec cause they were close to top of list. Doh!

Move all three pieces then entrench. Either of the flanks should move down and away from the swordsman one space, and the other two should move one space sideways, then fortify all of them. If the swordsman goes to the center and attacks, attack with all three, killing the sword on turn 2. If it attacks the nearest flank, replace the flank with the center piece, and move the other flank in and attack with both.

If the sword survives this turn, switch the partially healed warrior in for the more injured piece.

My answer here but it is not simple and is surprising, surprised me anyway.

So I hadn't thought about the fortification bonus, although your spreadsheet looks a lot like mine - but how are your warriors getting up to 29 strength, are you starting them on +25 base? (is that a change in gathering storm, supposed to be +20?)

I think its interesting how a very simple scenario can lead to reasonably complex reasoning.

So I hadn't thought about the fortification bonus, although your spreadsheet looks a lot like mine - but how are your warriors getting up to 29 strength, are you starting them on +25 base? (is that a change in gathering storm, supposed to be +20?)

I think its interesting how a very simple scenario can lead to reasonably complex reasoning.
I have no idea why I started on 25 either.... I imagine that changes the outcome?
Civ VI has some quite complex stuff in it. This is child’s play compared to some other decisions.
I’ll delete my post is easiest as it just muddied the waters.

Top Bottom