Tactics and Strategy Turns 100-120

Ok, and we can move it further forward once we've got the Trireme out.

Tactics for T102
Chariot > move back?
Worker by Shymkent > (cottage finished) road? or go to Gold mine
New worker > go to forest to chop for Shymkent

Pavlodar > 2 pop whip Settler (what next?)
Oskemen > 1 pop whip Catapult > Archer
Atyrau > switch to lighthouse for 1 turn? or finish Spearman?

Machiney is 12 turns btw, Paper 10

Twelve turns to machinery? :( I thought we were the Tech Master. Let's use the whip on those scientists to get them working faster. :lol:

Sorry I don't have much to say in this thread but you guys are doing a swell job. Keep up the good work.

You're doing a great job in diplo - I wish I had more time for that, but I'm limited in time so I may as well focus on where I'm most useful :)

Ok, and we can move it further forward once we've got the Trireme out.

Tactics for T102
Chariot > move back?
Worker by Shymkent > (cottage finished) road? or go to Gold mine
New worker > go to forest to chop for Shymkent

Pavlodar > 2 pop whip Settler (what next?)
Oskemen > 1 pop whip Catapult > Archer
Atyrau > switch to lighthouse for 1 turn? or finish Spearman?

Machiney is 12 turns btw, Paper 10

I have been browsing through the forums and I don't think that we have done that badly. Nonetheless I am concerned that our production is low and that our research rate is down to 50%. Also, we need a proper balanced army, which will be harder to defeat

I don't think we should move the Chariot back. We need our army where the action is, in the NW. BTW, I presume that this is where the next city will be - on the central hill in the gap between the mountains.

In Hazrat-e we need to build more cottages

In Shymkent build the gold mine - we need the production and the commerce.

In Pavlodar I would consider switching to build another Chariot or even a Catapult here, which would be very useful if we were faced with an advancing army. I am not so sure about whipping the Settler or even continuing with it at the present time. On the plus side if we found a new city our units will be within our borders saving money - on the minus side it will cost us more and the maintenance will be high. Someone needs to work this out. I don't want to see our commerce fall lower.

In Oskemen the catapult is good - the archer a little out of date. I would consider building a second Spearman.

In Atyrau I would get the Spearman first.

I note that we are already teching paper. Please let's not waste a turn. Let us start Machinery now before the next turn begins. It will take us long enough to get it. Also, let's not even consider anything else. We must have it and we cannot trust others to give it to us. We also need HBR and I presume MS are doing that. Do we know when they will have it?

On the diplomatic front, reading through the forum I would not expect much from Saturn but we need to shore up our relations with Cav and MS - I doubt they will want to split from us. Also, let's exchange techs rather than gift up front.

Maybe Bolkonski was referring to the techs we gave Saturn up front. That was a gamble but worth it in my opinion. As for techs between Kaz.Cav/MS I think we're doing fine they way we have been. I wouldn't rock that boat if we don't have to.

Sorry I don't have much to add to the tactics side but this is a great thread. I never knew it cost gold to have units outside our borders. You learn something new everyday.

Maybe Bolkonski was referring to the techs we gave Saturn up front. That was a gamble but worth it in my opinion. As for techs between Kaz.Cav/MS I think we're doing fine they way we have been. I wouldn't rock that boat if we don't have to.

Point taken but with this approach we lay ourselves open to someone reneaging on a deal as Saturn have done. If we are fairly secure with Cav/MS I am fine with the present arrangements. I do not want MS giving CS to Saturn though!

On other matters why are we building two Archers, an outmoded unit at this time?

I know we are making archers for happiness but I think maybe Pav should do a building next (at least a barracks) instead of an archer. With commerce we can build markets now. And if we hook up the furs that's extra happiness.

On other matters why are we building two Archers, an outmoded unit at this time?
Cheapest garrison units. simple

An archer in a city on a hill isn't a bad defender. We can build one in Oskemen for the new city.

An archer in a city on a hill isn't a bad defender. We can build one in Oskemen for the new city.

As long as it has the city defender or guerilla promotion. Hence why I think Pav needs a barracks before it makes any more units. It would take 4 turns.

I agree with Bolkonski about the archers..pointless at this stage. Horse city better to build a sword now and Pavlodar catapult? Catapults don't really need barracks, so we should get a few from cities without barracks.

Regarding tech lets go 0% and machinery (hiding research after end of turn by doing drama :) )

Actau can do missionary now and 2 pop whip in 2 turns to overflow to forge? We will need for culture and organized bonus in front city.

Iron city can switch back to spear to finish it...

If we aren't going to build Archers then what are we going to use for garrison units in our interior cities? Oskemen, Shymkent and Atyrau will all need a garrison unit at some point.

Tactics for turn 103
first: complete all worker actions

Military: assuming no SANCTA units emerge
Chariot & axe > stay put
Spy > NE,wait

Workers
by Atyra > N,N to chop
on gold > mine
on forest > chop
in northern desert > SE,SW to road

Cities
Atyrau > switch from Lighthouse to Spear (btw I think we should whip when our pop grows)
Aktau > switch from Forge to Ship/Missionary/Military
Pavlodar > archer (we need a couple of garrison units)/spy (I want another Spy!)/forge/missionary
Oskemen > archer (for new city)/sword

For improving Pavlodar - we should build a windmill on the grassy knoll, what do people think?

archers we can build later when we really need the garisson units...for now we need more units to the front city.

iron city worker cottage on spot before moving to chop? We need one more improved tile there.

Regarding builds Isugest we get a missionary for front city now either from Pavlodar or actau..forge in Pavlodar can wait...as it will be slow.

I agree with Smokey about the archers. Let's build them when we need them. I do have questions however. How soon will we need them and how soon will we have feudalism? If we don't make the cheap archers before we get feudalism then we'll have to make more expensive gassison units. Of course with one of our allies teching feudalism we can control when we get that tech.

Iron city cottage? I would think we should focus on farms and mines.

My city build thoughts
For pav I think we should build a spy or missionary probably lean spy as we can't guarantee a missionary will spread confu on the 1st try. We need that border pop and should use a forest chop to ensure we get it.

Aktua - military. A hill promoted archer or a chariot I think would be best.

Osk - sword.

I agree with Smokey about the archers. Let's build them when we need them. I do have questions however. How soon will we need them and how soon will we have feudalism? If we don't make the cheap archers before we get feudalism then we'll have to make more expensive gassison units. Of course with one of our allies teching feudalism we can control when we get that tech.

feudalism does not obsolete archers

Iron city cottage? I would think we should focus on farms and mines.

My city build thoughts
For pav I think we should build a spy or missionary probably lean spy as we can't guarantee a missionary will spread confu on the 1st try. We need that border pop and should use a forest chop to ensure we get it.

Aktua - military. A hill promoted archer or a chariot I think would be best.

Osk - sword.

Why farm? Especially the tile that the worker is on now? We have the fish which is plus 4 food which eventually will alow us to work 2 grassland and one plains mine...we don't need more farms there...cottages for commerce is what we need.

On the missionary...of course it is guarandeed it will spread on first try..it always does when city has no religion.

Once the chariot moves out of oskemen it will be at it's happy cap but recover 1 unhappy whip in 2 turns (I did say this already!).

So we do need an archer in Osk failry soon. And one for the frontline will be good too.

For Atyrau we could really do with getting Moai ther after the lighthouse. One we have that there will be plenty of good tiles to use while it grows. I sat chop and whip to get it asap, so no need to develop any more tiles there just now (or maybe just 1 cottage for 2 pop whips).

Of course we can get fur too.

Top Bottom