1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Take a rock, get a better rock

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Milosrdenstvi, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

So, that cheesy quote from Crafting I think it was, remember it? I just realised it can be put in a far better way.

"Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a Dataprobe. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken."

Who wants to slap an old-school back? :)

2. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

I thought the original quote was perfect. Early man's version of crafting was pretty much flint knapping, which is what I assume the original quote is referring to. Anything that references more advanced concepts than basic craftsmanship with primitive tools doesn't seem to fit flavorwise IMO.

Your quote is good, and would probably fit perfectly in more modern mods.

3. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

Oh, quite naturally. I wasn't suggesting that my two lines of text (which I, by the way, did not write) be used for FFH, just wondering if anybody recognised them.

4. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

of courseè!ç

5. Niveras

Niveras Prince

Several of the tech quotes in FFH remind me of Alpha Centauri, primarily in the way that the speaker is almost condescending about the subject. I'm sure that's even the intent, since a lot of people consider AC's voiceovers near-perfect. I know I felt they fit perfectly into AC's atmosphere.

6. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Yeah, Zhakarov was such a tool....

7. reveler

reveler Chieftain

IIRC it is a quote from Yang, the Hive leader, and I loved SMAC and AX especially for their great wonder movies and quotes. From Aristotle to Nietzsche.

I also found the different faction profiles a huge step away from some stereotypes.
    Sister Miriam Godwinson is pure prophecy. :p

8. Niveras

Niveras Prince

I always hated Santiago the most. Just the way she speaks sets my teeth on edge.

9. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

The civilopedia entry for the Raise Skeleton spell is a slightly modified version of some SMAC tech quote.

10. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

I loved my chosen: how then to face the day when she left me?[PARAGRAPH:1]So I cast upon her body a single spell--perhaps, to love her again.[PARAGRAPH:2]--Unknown Author "On the Various Applications of Necromancy"

:lol:

11. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Ahh, you've reminded me of how awesome the tech and building quotes were in SMAC. Some really good thought went into those, and I enjoyed listening to them so much more than the flat tones of Leonard Nimoy.

12. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Ah don't know, but ah've been told;
    Dainy's got a mana node.

13. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

This one (one of my favourites) sounds like it could fit right in:

Against such abominations, we organize our defenses on the principle that one strong and able mind can shield the many.

14. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Alpha Centauri is the greatest game in the history of gaming. It was perfect. Sometimes I will do things in life and I will have AC flashbacks. Like how I work for an oil company and every now and then I feel very Morganesque.

My hope is that when FFH reaches the final stage of development it will supplant AC, as I pretty much feel like it is the "fantasy" version of that game style.

While on the topic, would it kill Firaxis to update AC for modern computers?

15. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Greatest AC quote:

And some dark night, when everything
    Is silent in the town
    I'll shoot those tyrants one and all
    I'll gun the floggers down
    Oh, I'll give the land a little shock
    Remember what I say
    They'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones
    In chains to Botany Bay.

Jim Jones- Traditional

It is (of course) Bob Dylan's version of the Austrailian folk song, but I loved how they made it seem like Dylan is so classic in the future is stuff is just "traditional".

A very close second comes from the Hunter-seeker algorithm:

If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu- the Art of War

16. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

I *loved* SMAC... Such wonderful quotes and fun times. Too bad the AI was awful...

17. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Someone should make a SMAC mod for Civ4!

18. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

SMAC was a great game: it's still my favorite of the Sid Meier Civ-type games.

When playing SMAC, I'd usually end up singing part of "I'm a Believer" when encountering Miriam and the Believers, but modified, "Then I saw her (Miriam's) face, and I left the Believers!" :lol:

Oh, I liked encountering the Spartans and Santiago. It felt so good to crush the vaunted Spartan ubermensch with superior technology. Santiago goes on and on about superior training and how it has a geometric effect in combat that the superior numbers of lesser trained troops cannot hope to match. Meet my Shard Silksteel Droptroopers, b***h! Superior technology has a leveling effect that Spartan training cannot hope to match. (Especially since state of the art for Spartans is usually Impact weapons and Plasma armor: 4-2-1)

And I had a silly song for the Spartans too.

"The sound of a Spartan is squish, squish, squish.
    Squish, squish, squish,
    Squish, squish, squish,
    The sound of a Spartan is squish, squish, squish,
    Early in the morning!"

19. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

Is that from X? I never got to play that :(

My favourite faction to play was the Uni. My favourite quote were from Miriam. Go figure. :)

20. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

A handsome flesh golem named Ace
    wooed women at every place
    But once ladies glanced at
    his special enhancement
    they vanished with neary a trace