1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks - Gamasutra

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by 123john321, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123john321

123john321 Chieftain

As Firaxis Games, the creator's of Civilization and the modern XCOM series, is owned by Take Two, I find the recent statement from Take Two chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick to be troubling for the series' futures.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...es_with_recurrent_consumer_spending_hooks.php

So far, Civilization 6's DLC model has been a pretty standard season pass, even extending the amount of civs given in said pass. But what about Civilization 7 or even a new expansion? Do you think we'll have to worry about microtransactions and virtual currencies in future titles from Firaxis? What would that even look like? I could easy see charging players to bring back from the dead soldiers in XCOM or certain technologies hidden behind a pay wall. But I might be overly paranoid and Take Two just lets Firaxis do it's thing.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

DLCs are a form of recurrent spending, as are expansions, so I think Civ already leads this trend.

If anything it might lead to back to more fluffy DLCs like map packs or ethnic unit skins and stuff like that. And if that's the case, they might shut down modding, since modders can and do make trinket-y fluff like that for free.

Piruparka likes this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Thanks, EA and Ubisoft. Your obsession with microtransactions is now ruining the entire industry--except Bethesda, which is too busy repackaging the same mediocre game six times over and exploiting fan creations to get into the microtransaction market. :rolleyes: This is why I'm overwhelmingly an indie gamer...

need my speed, Slayan, bladex and 4 others like this.
  4. 123john321

123john321 Chieftain

I thought that too, but I'm worried about even more insidious, charge per campaign/session stuff like you seen in FPS.

If indie studios can make titles like the recent Cuphead, who even really needs the AAA industry to be honest.

nzcamel and Zaarin like this.
  5. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

There are some truly appallingly bad indie games out there, but the best indie games are always better than AAA games in my experience. Indie studios can afford to take risks that AAA studios can't, so AAA titles become sequel fests and banal play-it-safe middle-of-the-road fare. Or they just pretend to be edgy by substituting over-the-top sexuality for actual story or character development. *glares at Mass Effect: Andromeda*

6. UWHabs

UWHabs Chieftain

Well, why charge people 60$ once when you can charge them 10$ a month? Sadly seems to be the way more and more games are headed.

7. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

On the other hand, if they charged $10 a month for something in the current state of Civ 6 (well, let's be fair and say the state of Civ 6 at release), they'd probably have made less money compared to the current model, as people would just stop paying 'until everything gets fixed'.

CPWimmer, Zuizgond, Tech Osen and 4 others like this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

True. If there's one benefit to the subscription model, it's that it provides both the funds and the motivation to quickly fix bugs, and to a lesser extent, imbalances.

9. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

And still, I would buy the $60 game, while I would never go for the $10 per month game, even if I only were to play it for a month or two. For me, the number 1 requirement for a good game is that you don't finish it and then move on to another game. Rather, a good game stays fun forever. That is in direct conflict with paying per month.

CPWimmer, Bosque, Piruparka and 8 others like this.
  10. Katakanja

Katakanja Chieftain

Nah, lootboxes are the money machines of choice at the moment, so if anything I'd be worried about the fact that it probably wouldn't be particularly difficult to insert some kind of level-based progression system into Civ without changing the basic fundamentals of the game.

You could start the game with, say, only 6 of the 20 base games civs unlocked for play, and then require the player to unlock the others by leveling up by playing normal games. The rest of the civs would be unlocked for use by the player by collecting them from lootboxes awarded after each level up. Alternate leaders and minor cosmetic changes like special building or unit models, etc, can be fitted into such a system easily too.

They can then charge for buying extra boxes ontop of what you gain from leveling up to accelerate the process, whilst pointing out that everything in the game can still be earned through normal playtime, albeit at a slower rate.

11. bbbt

bbbt Chieftain

If it means extend Civs DLC tail and bring out more DLC civs (and expansions?) for longer, I'd be down for it.

But yeah, it reads like a CEO looking at Civ 5's steam charts numbers and saying "There are 40,000 people still playing Civ 5 years after they paid us for it, how can we keep making money of them?"

CPWimmer, Zuizgond and Zaarin like this.
  12. 123john321

123john321 Chieftain

13. Blue Odin

Blue Odin Chieftain

I am pretty sure he was referring to Rockstar more than Firaxis and that they will push for a Red Dawn Redemption Online after the RRD2 is released.

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Chieftain

I'm very much the same way, although there are probably some games I could live with paying per month for. Even if I hardly ever do it, if tonight I just decided that I wanted to go play cities:skylines or civ 4 or Alpha Centauri, I can go back and find them on my computer and play them.

The exception would be if someone came out with a good streaming service for games, like a Netflix. With a good repertoire of games, that might be enough to be worth a monthly subscription as then it would be nice to open up a new game sometimes and give it a shot, where I'm not going to spend 50 bucks to "try out" a game and decide whether I actually like it.

15. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

But does it mean things like DLC? As you say modders can do maps, civs/leaders and scenarios.

I think it means more like what Firaxis planned with CivWorld. I can't remember exactly how but there was a credits system (of which I still have some balance). It probably relates to games that are more multiplayer. Or MMOs, etc. where it is meaningful to charge a subs. for the service.

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Nowhere in the quote in the OP marks a change from delivering multiple DLC pieces and expansions to a base product years after its release. Which is exactly what Civilisation does, has done, and is currently continuing to do.

To scaremonger about a theoretical Civilisation 7, not only does Civ VII actually have to be somewhere near the public eye in terms of some kind of production, but enough information about it and / or its post-release cycle needs to be public information to actually talk about it. Otherwise it's just the generic "take something a businessperson said and scare people into thinking it could apply to a popular and established franchise".

Uberfrog likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Firaxis would really have to step up Civ's multiplayer game if they wanted to do a subscription-based version, because no one is going to pay $10/month for a single-player experience. I believe they are trying to do an e-sport thing with Civ, but I haven't followed it and I don't know how successful it has been.

18. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

I think that's exactly the point.

RN the biggest competition for Civ VI (and thus sales of Civ VI) is...Civ V! (and to a lesser extent Civ IV) ;)

19. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

That's right, and exactly the reason I've only played 4 games (different iterations of them) in the last 15 or so years. Those are Heroes of Might and Magic (but that really went downhill since 3 or 5), Football Manager (but this went into too much irrelevant detail after 2012 or so), EU (but these guys completely change everything too often) and Civilization (no 'but' yet, but getting close :D ) to be exact.

20. 123john321

123john321 Chieftain

I brought it up because, like I said, Take Two owns Friaxis. The CEO wants all new game under his company (which would include Friaxis) to have some kind of microtransaction in all games from his company (which again would include Friaxis) so I am bring this article up to discuss what that would mean for Civilization. The theoretical Civ7 I brought up is just a way to frame that declaration into a series people might not think about when it comes to microtransactions, not to "scaremonger".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.