1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking down a behemoth?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bigv32, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I have been playing the new cold war mod/scenerio available on this site. I wanted a challenge so I played as the african states and took over south africa.

Now I have a problem. The soviets (Stalin) are huge I mean huge. They attacked the arabs to the north of me just before I was going to attack and quickly took over most of teh cities I wanted. I managed to get a few but I was rushed to do so and was not ready for war.

Right now, Russia has over 250 modern armor and 250 mech infantry in north africa alone. While I do not fear an attack now, I am looking at the prospect of war. Right now I am taking over as much easy land as I can get (Vietnam) and hoping to get an economy capable of fighting the soviets.

I need advice on what to do? I have been building a huge army for awhile, but am still no where near big enough. I was thinking about attacking china to get their cites and INdia so I could surround the soviets.

Help

PS I would post a save, but it would need teh mod and I have no idea how to post it.

One more thing, this mod uses the standard earth 18 civs map. The only difference is that the cities are permenantly placed because I disabled city razing.

Edit:

The only want to take over North Africa and hold all of Africa. The reason I am thinking about taking over China and India is so the soviets attack those cities and not africa. You know a diversion city area. This way I could focus on Africa and then hold the suez canal. It is a great choke point.

One last note: I used the world builder to get hundreds of great spyies for espionage. From what I saw in the next turn I do not know if there is anything I can do. I saw over 600 mech infantry and 500 modern armor. I tried a quick war and I rush the suez but all my forces were wiped out in three turns. I used over one hundred mech infantry, but it did not help. Any Ideas are welcome

2. kossin

kossin Deity

Nukes :p

Not familiar with that mod/scenario but collateral damage is your best friend as usual. Bombers and the like are the best units in modern war.

3. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

sorry forgot nukes have been banned, so basically I need about a hundred seige?

4. jbadams

jbadams Super Healer Scout

You need lots of bombers.

5. Dhaulagiri

Dhaulagiri Chieftain

Leave some border cities in key locations lightly defended and keep your stacks behind them. When he takes them use the advantage of culture and roads to pulverize his stacks with artillery and bombers. Send in gunships to cut the roads he uses to reinforce. Thats the best way to kill a superior enemy asside from nukes.

6. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Using this tactic against the Russians seems ironic. :lol:

7. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

That does seem ironic. I would build border cities, but I disabled city razing, and there is no place to put them. All my border cities are near the sahara desert and they would just drain my economy. As far as the bombers go, I forgot to mention that North Africa is full of jet fighters. I guess I have to build up my artillery.

8. Dhaulagiri

Dhaulagiri Chieftain

Hadn't thought of that, :lol:
    Read Snaaty's Persian tale for a good example of that strategy in the final battle, as well as a good read in general. That's the first time I understood the advantage of a planned retreat and counter-attack.

9. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

If his anti-bomber capabilities are good, you're in trouble. I'd suggest using espionage to destroy airports (and build your own along the border). If you can have 8 air units per city, and he only four, you should be able to counter the air defenses. (With that many mech inf though, it will be a long and brutal process) I would also strongly suggest you find a way to ensure he goes to war with someone else, and hopefully thins his defenses near you. Other than that, you'll have be able to produce and field units faster than he can kill them: very difficult against a big enemy.

10. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

what does everyone think about my idea about taking out china and Vietnam (south east Asia) and possibly India. (China is taking over india now, so I would go along with china). If I did this I would flank them to the east and west. If I had enough forces I would be willing to lose those cities as long as I take all of Africa. I could then hold the suez canal.

11. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

If you haven't read my edit above it has more info about the game

12. banson

banson Warlord

if they got 1200 units id have to say theres no hope for you really, u can take over china and india, but till you get alot more units, well you know. as for seige seige always helps.

having a but load of artys will help soften up the enemy sod when they come. but over all with your 100 to their 1100 you can get the picture.

13. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

Really your only chance would be nukes, at this point. If you destroy the UN, does that eliminate the UN ban on nukes?

14. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

>>If you destroy the UN, does that eliminate the UN ban on nukes?
    No, since there would no more resolutions to pass the last remain in effect till it's over. One of the reasons I dislike UN/AP, bad design.

As for jet fighters, you have to bring more w/ carriers. Strike w/ jets 1st, kill their jets, bombards kick in, you grab the cities.

15. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Does Stalin control Western Europe? If not you could try get that territory, it has rather nice production capabilities compared to Sub-Equatorial Africa.

16. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

No stalin does not yet have western europe. It would be good, but I have no intel on them and all my forces are tied up in east asia taking out vietnam and china. I am really hesitant to take them though because I will not be able to hold them. My only goal at the moment is to take and hold all of africa. It is only three cities, but they are important.

I was thinking about building a huge force of mech infantry and rushing the suez canal and fortifiying the hill there. Then I would take out the three cities behind them.

17. banson

banson Warlord

if you want to do that go to wb and make your self the mech inf u need, then declare war after you fortify them all on hill and with a fort. then see if its enough to hold the zone with war.
    i think you should use artys too. then you can reload the game after knowing how they deal with the russian attak and make the units and make any changes you need to the plan

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I'll repeat what others said: you need a lot of planes and probably a lot of gunships too. Also, as sugested, you need to mount a staging ground to kill all the troops he sends before you can even think on going offensive...

BTW, what are you doing in China with that huge Russian problem to solve?

19. banson

banson Warlord

he trying to take over china so he can have more prod power and a diversion zone when he does war russia.

20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

Gunships: lots of gunships. They only cost 20 more hammers than an infantryman to build, they get 100% against armor, and their 4 movement points on any terrain (Save mountains) enables you to hit and run.