Taking Down the Big Guys

if u have already cavalry just build tons of it and try to fish for leaders, 2 armys wont won the game but they can help a lot, once reaching industrial age go for bombers (first get steam power then corporation and then straight for bombers) in my case I dont bother anymore with TOE and Hoover Dam ( I play emperor ) and I go first for bombers instead of tanks because I end having tons of CAV so building bombers first "extends" the "life period" of my cavalry before ending disbanded for shields

if they are really advanced... for example u just got tanks and they have alredy mech infantry then wait for modern armor if posible and build some armys with modern armor to race those size +12 cities that sometimes take so many casualties

Dont dogpile them... its boring at least in my case I have discovered that I lose interest once Im certain that im going to beat the game... I enjoy more that part of the game when u feel the anxiety asking if the AI wont dogpile u:king:

i did ToE already, going for tanks to get an edge over their riflemen, i am about 2 techs away.

I did a worker chain building rails and combined with a stack of 50 or so cavs and 3 armies, i took 10 cities in the first turn and my buds came in and distracted them.

It worked well, but on higher difficulties i can imagine it won't be as easy to tear such a large empire apart.

What do you mean by "big guy"? Would this be a big guy?

Attachments

• Az.jpg
    Az.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 220
Please post a save.

what i find to bother me is when i use cavalry or knights, the artillery can't keep up and ends up not being very useful.

If you're using Cavalry and assaulting a technologically weaker opponent (Muskets) you shouldn't need Artillery. If you're attacking a similarly teched enemy (Rifles) you can get away with not using Artillery, but it'll hurt, especially if they have Metros or cities on Hills. If they have Infantry or better, Cavalry will not work and you will need either Tanks, Armies, or lots of Artillery.

Also, armies. The AI is reluctant to attack armies. It will do it on occasion, but it doesn't like to. While I ordinarily use offensive armies, if I'm attacking a technologically superior and powerful foe, I will sometimes build a defensive army (Muskets, Rifles, or Infantry). Then I'll hide boatloads of arty and attackers under it.

well, i don't know how to post a save, but i have a map here.

Chile (Me)- I am in late industrial 2 techs from tanks, i am largest on continent now
Sweden- One i am targeting, i am concerned since they are at the same spot in technology and they completely tore apart the Navaho
Romania- Originally was weak and i was going to kill them but i let them be and they are getting stronger, thay are a few techs behind.
Austria- They are small, but their technology is caught up to me.
Paraguay- They just hit Ind age and are really weak, so nothing to worry about here.
Sioux- Still mideival, but their military is great they raided prussia and khmers at the same time and did real well.
Mexico- Way back in the beginning of this, i made alliance with them against the visigoths (refused their tech demands) so mexico got powerful really fast. They are a good ally, but i am concerned as they are huge military but they are not as caught up in tech, so about mid ind era.
Venezuela- Midieval era, small civ and military, mexico's beating them up, i don't suppose they'll be around much longer.
Assyria- Assertive bunch of people in there, well caught up, decent size land and military, though i am pissed for them dealing techs to the swedes, i got over it.
Bolivia- Mideivel. Mexico's fighting them All that needs to be said if you know what i mean
Khmers- Gonna be dead in a few turns so what does it matter?
Prussia- Read above statement.
Navaho- HAve had them dogpiled since the early midievel times, they are still holding up decenly but i don't expect them to be a world power anymore.
Assyria- They seemed weak at first, but they shattered the mali empire, so they look formidable now.

Situation, wveryone is at war with Navaho and Sweden, Sioux at war with Prussia nd Khmers, and Mexico at war with Venezuela and Bolivia

thats after 2 or 3 turns of cavalry and railroads. Those are the weaker cities they got recently from the phillipines war, so i expect the core to be more heavily defended.

What i am really concerned about is Sweden and Mexico, how to i handle them, as they are probably 2 and 3 on the continent in power.

Now this is just an example, but when i am in a game and i am SMALLER than the enemy, how do i fight them off.

Artillery and/or multiple armies.

To post a save click on "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments", then "Browse" and then load it up from your computer. And like it.

the way I try to take out people who are bigger than me is to build an army (duh), and let them attack me - declare war, but let their SOD come at me, giving me the advantage of mobility. Once their SOD is done (and the various guys trickling along), then I start cleaning out their cities.

SOD?

i dont really know what that stands for but is it their initial reaction wave of attackers?

It means Stack Of Death. It refers to any stack that looks to be too hard for you to take down. It could be two warriors to a single town empire with no defenders or 8 units to a lone spear.

Just depends on the point in time and the location of the stack.

I started to look at the save, but as soon as I clicked on the leader for Navaho I got a file not found. I am not sure, if this is just me not having the mod or if the mod is also missing the file.

What I had so far:

I would suggest you change Preferences to use "Always Wait". You may want to consider using "Color Blind" as that is helpful in screen shots. I prefer to turn off the animations, except for battle as it just slows things down. One more very useful option is the "always build" as this can save you the trouble of changing the gov selection.

The ToE selections. The big reason most players take AT and Elec for the free techs is that they are very expensive to research and that makes them the most return. It also means you get to build Hoovers. There are times where I would not take those techs, but that usually involves the game not getting out of the IA. In that case it makes more sense to pick something like Industrial.

When you have this many nations on a large map, you are pretty much stuck with getting into the modern era. You need that for UN or Space. Probably that much time for culture and for sure to get Dom or Conquest.

It also means the the vlaue of Leo's goes way up and so does Sun Tzu. Getting into modern era units, means many upgrades would be possible during the Middle aAge and IA and MA. Not a must, but well worth it compared to a std map.

I was looking at your deals when the crash hit as I do not like to see MPP and RoP deals. They can have their place, but it should be very uncommon. Anyway I would end the war with both as soon as you can.

Navaho immediately as best I could tell you have used your 20 turns. You do not want to worring about far away nations. If they declare, ignore them. Whewn they finally get some units to you kill those units and get promotions.

My issues are always to A) have a unified border B) have no one behind me. That means no gaps in the border and cetainly no foriegn towns insidie my empire.

To that end I would get right after Romania. Mexico would be next. The problem with your border is the wide spacing. You will have gaps, until you get up some culture. I would not want to build culture structures in border towns at this stage in the game as the orders are just going to keep moving.

From your game I ran into a missing flc. In fact the flics folders is missing. The one in particular is art\flics\hastin_ind.flc and I am sure there are others. I could copy one in, but then I lose the flavor.

From your game I ran into a missing flc. In fact the flics folders is missing. The one in particular is art\flics\hastin_ind.flc and I am sure there are others. I could copy one in, but then I lose the flavor.

yes, the art files and whatnot are not included with the save, so you can't see any of the leaders.

I used to use Always wait, but i turned it off, rarely do i have a problem, and those animations can save my life believe it or not, without them i might not notice someone attacking somwhere other than the bettle spots i am paying attention to. I am curious of the color blind thing since i never used it- what does it do?

Reason i buit ToE was to hurry to tanks so i will have much better chances against rifles. And since most of the World is fighting and paying more attacntion to war, i can sneak into the Modern era before anyone else does.

I am going for Conquests victory, and there are less than half left to destroy, but as my allies will begin to dwindle, war will be more dependant on my strategies. But, one thing i never asked about is what to do if there are multiple enemies fighting me at one time? Like if TWO powerful enemies attack me. What do i do then?

Top Bottom