1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Taking over the whole world without firing a shot - rock bands and spies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Zeuxis, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Zeuxis

Zeuxis Chieftain

Hi Everyone!

So I confess to getting a real thrill out of playing Civ in a really nerdy way. It started with Civ4 and the idea was always to try and take over every square in the world through culture without ever firing a shot in anger except at barbarians. I had to play on Prince level approximately or it won’t work but sad to say I never quite accomplished my goal in Civ 4 even though I often got 99.9% of the squares there were always some I just couldn’t put pressure on.

Then came Civ6 and the culture thing worked completely differently and so this nerdy approach wasn’t possible - or was it.....?

I am just playing a game on GS as Eleanor (French version) on Prince level, all settings standard and Pangea (specifically chosen). I wanted to see how much of the globe I could conquer without firing a shot. I aimed for a culture victory and specifically put great works into border cities to increase loyalty pressure. Everything went well and I won a culture victory about turn 230 (would have been earlier but remember I wasn’t putting great works into big cities unless they were border ones). I was far from over, however...... Once I could choose any rock band promotion then I found I could take out the capitals much easier than smaller cities as they had more venues. It was even good if I lost the first band or two as I could take the capital in one turn that way and then exert huge pressure on the other cities.

I reckoned that I might get two thirds of the globe under my sway. It is currently turn 353 and I have the whole globe except for 7 City States (one is about to flip to me) and ONE solitary Indian city!

But I have a problem. The Indian city is at the end of an archipelago and I can’t get loyalty pressure on it. Worse still, there is a City State between my nearest city and it. So I am stymied.

I thought spies but it seems that you can only do one “forment unrest” mission at a time and between missions loyalty will be back up to 100%! Ideas?

I thought Rock Bands, but there are no suitable venues and frankly I don’t understand why some bands can play in some places and not others. Can someone explain this to me as the Civilopedia is rather vague on this?

So anyway, Madurai the last city, has a campus and am I reduced to playing 147 more turns hoping they make it a venue that I can play?

One last bloody city remains between me and a Civ goal I have been pursuing for a decade.

Any ideas?

2. Samouraibapt

Samouraibapt Chieftain

Hello Zeuxis,
    Some players attempted this challenge in thie GOTM, you can get some ideas in the thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6otm75-after-action.651789/
    To get the city flipped, you need them to have a decreasing loyalty, not only reduce it to 0.
    With your spies; you can disable the governor with one, fomet unrest with the other.
    You can use Amani in the closest city with the -2loyalty promotion.
    You can also pillage the tiles to reduce loyalty IIRC. If you don't want to declare war, recruit partisans if they have a neighbourhood. (Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?)
    Do you have some more room to settle around them? Even one-tile city in the ocean? It can bring the pressure you're lacking to start flipping it. You can make them grow big & fast if you harvest the fishes around with Magnus in.

For rock bands, you need the "indie rock" promotion, better get the policy card allowing you to choose the promotions before buying the rock bands.

Good luck with your goal!

3. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Can you post the save game or a screenshot? I've done this challenge a few times and might have some ideas how to get that last one to flip. :)

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Below you should see a link to the rock bands guide

5. Zeuxis

Zeuxis Chieftain

Thanks everyone. I will try and post a screenshot later

6. AlanH11

AlanH11 Chieftain

Basic Civ6 doesn't have rock bands and I'm happy about that. From what I've read, they distort the game.

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They come quite late and can be a pain but normally not. They have been nerfed a bit of late.

8. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Did you ever get to reach your goal?

9. Zeuxis

Zeuxis Chieftain

I did reach my goal but I had to declare war on the one city state between me and the last city on the archipelago.

So it was a partial win - no wars with civs but war with one city state. The archipelago killed it as I simply didn’t have enough cities to put enough loyalty pressure on the city state and without that city I couldn’t put pressure on the last remaining Civ city.

So it is possible but Pangea with no islands or archipelagos seems an absolute necessity!

10. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

I've done it a few times. It's a lot of fun, I can imagine that real remote cities ruin it. Have done it on Pangea and Lakes maps, the latter works very good as well. Have a look at my '10K score' post from a while ago, if you like this kind of thing. I wanted to reach over 10K score on deity using peaceful domination, and I did (!), but after that the game couldn't stop crashing on me. So never got to finish it.

If you are up to the challenge, it is actually more effective on deity: the AI gets more and bigger cities. And gets great works a lot faster for you to steal or get as a bonus when a city flips. The crucial part is befriending all your neighbours in the beginning, but when you get the flipping started, it's a thing of beauty. :)

11. Zeuxis

Zeuxis Chieftain

I will try it on Deity!

sounds like great fun