1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Taleban insurgency

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stormbind, May 29, 2004.

1. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

My word! I thought we had heard the last of these loonatics, but apparently not.

Perhaps only a tiny issue for the US Army, when compared to Iraqi insurgents, or the recent problems in Saudi Arabia, but it's not insignificant - the death toll among friendly Afghans is quite high.

Below: Extracts from this BBC article

2. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

But it's Afganistan, it's not like it's something most Americans remember :rolleyes:

3. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

I'm getting the impression that the American people are about to get a few more reminders.

4. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

You're just finding this out now? Anyone who's been paying attention has known that far too many Taliban fighters escaped and were regrouping, along with some al-Qaeda fighters.

And through all this, still, not much of a mention of it in the news. Must be the liberal media.

5. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Maybe thats why Bush invaded Iraq. :mischief:

6. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Shaky as the present situation in Afghanistan is, it's worth remembering that since the American intervention, refugees have been returning at a higher rate than new ones have been fleeing the country, in stark contrast to the situation in the '80s and '90s.

7. Ossric

Ossric Hedonistic Ruler

higher return rate? I'm wondering what the % of taliban fighters is amongst returnies

8. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Probably fairly low, since even a 1% rate would translate into thousands of fighters.

9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Thats nice

though a very small victory considering the two main exports from Afganistan are terror and drugs.

If only the US had invested $200 Billion and 135,000 troops into Afganistan instead of Iraq. Not to mention the Poltical gain from a successful outcome in Afgan would have been a huge body blow to the terrorist.

10. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

It have taken less than $200 Billion to buy Afghanistan, lock stock and barrel :mischief:

For Sale: War ravaged country that is the poorest in the World.

Occupants: 29 million sheep herders, opium planters, refugees, war lords and terrorists.