Tales of Wonky A.I.

Anyone00

Chieftain
O.K. instead of just a thread for my one little story how about a thread for general short anecdotes of the A.I. doing something particularly thick or strange?

I call this one The Tale of "Hutama you idiot."

I'm playing a game on Vostok as Franco-Iberia to test out a generator supported dome spam strategy: my capital starts off on a large body of water (that turns out to be a large lake and not the ocean), after a few turns Polystralia plops it's capital down on the same lake and for a fair time trade is good. I eventually expand my borders between two cities out that locks Hutama out from the West side of the continent we're on. After a while I start noticing Polystralia troops milling about on the border of my capital so I start producing a couple more marines and rush the ones I have to the capital (which was occupied building the Xenomalleum, the ability to grab an outer ring tech that might of taken ~100 turns on Epic for free can be rather nice): sure enough Hutama attacks and the trade we had stops.
I manage to fend him off with out much difficulty and I'm trying to negotiate peace but he gives the unreasonable demand of handing over two of my four cities, but he comes to the table. After a while I noticed a message that says I just raided a trade convoy for a 100 energy, then it happened again and Hutama won't even discuss peace with me, and it just keeps happening. It turns out he keeps sending trade convoys not just through my territory but literally strait through my capital: the marine station there was the one raiding the convoy and Hutama is in a perpetual snit-fit over it.
And Hutama just keeps sending trade convoys straight through my capital.
Hutama you idiot.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Similar quote: "To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity." - Lord Scourge.

But, yeah, the AI in BE sounds like it needs some work.

AI : Artificial Idiot
Have always been that way, will be for the foreseeable future.

The Trade Route issue is frequent in my games. There is now way to tell trade units which path to take and it looks like AI doesn't run a security check on trade routes, so if it "sees" a good trade partner the other side of your territory it will send a trade route there. Then if the shortest path goes straight through your capitol, it will go. Roads probably makes this worse.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was already true in Civ5, but the much smaller number of TR made it less visible.

Top Bottom