Taliban-American Peace Deal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Cynicism would be believing that can never change. Acknowledging that it is is just realism. One of the reasons I'm so hard on Berzerker is that if it is ever going to change people like him need to stop blaming everyone but themselves for how it has been. Routinely, the ones that talk most like they want it to change are refusing to see that the benefits they are getting are what keeps it in place, not the mysterious and everchanging "they" that is producing the benefits for them.

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I do not know what will happen, but I see no value in the UK being involved there.

Rather think problem best left to its neighbouring countries to contain.

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Peace in our time. Will be as effective as the accords ending the Vietnam war.

At best the Taliban won't export terror unlike Al Qaeda/ISIS.

4. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

There's no sure thing about it...

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Tajikistan probably begs to differ.

6. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

What happened to the price of oil after we invaded Iraq?

7. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Struggling to connect the dots on Operation Iraq Liberation ?
    Cleary GWBush goal in invading Iraq was to destrablize the region and bleed US money and blood then /s

8. Patine

Patine Deity

Here's a plan! We finally ditch the dependence on fossil fuel power and move on! We have the technology. We just have to completely ignore the toxic fossil fuel corporate lobby and their downright illegal bribes and coercion (in fact, perhaps, actual criminal charges on them for attempted graft when the try it). I'd LOVE to see Cheney and his Haliburton cronies clapped in irons!

caketastydelish likes this.
  9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

What do you mean?

10. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Meanwhile....
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51695370

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

What do you think the price of oil would be if the oil producing countries weren't kept in line by their need for US "protection"?

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I'm in favor, but let's not pretend that oil is the only resource that death is traded for.

caketastydelish likes this.
  13. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I really hope you're not expecting anything like that from an administration that has lifted restrictions on the coal industry and is seeking to legalize international bribery/graft.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Patine

Patine Deity

They belong joining those corrupt fossil fuel executives on high trial, as do all the living members of past administrations who were bribed and fought illegal wars, through lies and deception, and committed war crimes and terrorist acts (through the massive international terrorist organization, the CIA, and all the national-based terrorist groups in the countries operated in). That is what is justice would demand, and what is rightfully deserved. But any good, moral, ethical, and decent person's sense of justice is violated EVERY DAY from all corners. The motto "And Justice for All," on the U.S. Supreme Court building is nothing but a mocking and insulting taunt.

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I'm having trouble connecting the dots between invading Iraq and benefits to my gas tank

The price would be what the market bears. Why didn't the price of oil come down after we invaded Iraq to keep oil producers in line? And since when does this 'protection' require invading 4 countries? I think the oil producers we didn't bomb were happy when we invaded Iraq, they must have been overjoyed. A barrel of crude went from ~$25 to ~$100 in a few years, thats how we 'benefited'.

You sound like we should be grateful George Bush lied us into a war with Iraq. If he hadn't we'd have been paying even more than a $100 a barrel , right? The price skyrocketed and the market responded by seeking alternative energy sources and the price dropped to around $50 a barrel. Thats how the market keeps oil producers in line without littering the Middle East with shrapnel.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

And yet you have never run into a daft conspiracy theory you didn't embrace.

17. Patine

Patine Deity

George W. Bush and his administration deserving to be serving life sentences in war crimes prisons, stripped of all protections and benefits of retired U.S. Presidents, Vice-Presidents, and Cabinet Secretaries for gross, flagrant, and deliberate violation of the U.S. Constitution and their oaths and mandates of office, not enjoying cushy retirements painting and working for consulting firms and writing insulting to the integrity, self-congratulatory autobiographies, and such...

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Well, yeah, that would be great, but in a country that has built its entire economic position on dealing death it certainly isn't going to happen.

hobbsyoyo and caketastydelish like this.
  19. Patine

Patine Deity

I'm aware of that disgusting fact, as a realist. But, you almost make it out to sound as if the your description of the American economic system is unique to it. The fact it definitely isn't so, a is much, much broader, more global problem.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Oh, I never meant to imply the the US is the only death merchant on the planet, merely the best.