1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Talking points: Bad habits I can't break, + things I still don't get

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Terry Teo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Terry Teo

Terry Teo Chieftain

Leave me your thoughts on any or all points.
    I played badly 20 years ago, got CIV1 again last year as an adult and play better now (although I've only just begun setting luxuries above 0% for the first time this week :crazyeye:)

Background: I don't use cheats or 'tricks' apart from occasionally loading my last save if I make a silly decision that causes me to lose a pivotal city. I consistently win on King, I have only won ONCE on Emperor (using the smallpox/zerg method so I am no longer interested in using that method, prefer to play a full game).

Bad Habits I can't break:
    • I NEVER swap tech. with another CIV; the way I see it is that they have a science advantage and are better at managing their cities near end-game so I want to slow knowledge worldwide as much as possible
    • I always choose 7 CIVs (I want them to limit each-other's growth
    • I always play vanilla CIV1, (don't even know how to mess with the game)
    • I always run Communism as Dem.&Rep. don't seem agile enough
    • I never have the heart to demand tribute off weak CIVs, always trying to maintain balance to prevent someone apart from me becoming dominant
    • I'm always very very late in the game to establish many trade routes
    • 90% of games I don't build a single aqueduct, too hard to manage big cities
    • usually 0% or 10% luxuries
    • I very, very rarely build granaries or libraries
    • I always play as a weak CIV (such as the French) rather than an aggressive one. I get that if I play as Russians it means I won't have to face Russians BUT I want the other CIV to distract each-others attention rather than them soaking up easy French cities

Things I still don't get:
    • Even when I'm easily the strongest in the world BY FAR the other CIVs seem to be perpetually going to war with me, very very rare that we're at peace even if i'm pushing for peace
    • In my last game a city switched to my team without me buying it with a diplomat -is this standard?
    • I know later versions of CIV they introduced borders to prevent boats dropping units on your land during peace; is there any other effective method apart from perpetual war which I currently use
    • No matter how hard I try other CIVs seem 1000% faster at using settlers [edit: settlers work at same speed they just prioritise it more than me] to develop land around cities
    • why don't their fighters shoot my bombers
    So yeah, let me know any tips on how to be better at emperor

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Actually, you are better at managing your cities, if you take the time. The AI gets a production and trade advantage on emperor level but is certainly worse at micro than a dedicated human player. About tech: it can be good to trade sometimes. Giving the Mongols the wheel for monarchy is a bad deal, doing it the other way around is great. Sometimes you can also get 3-4 techs for just one of yours that your rivals want by trading it individually with all of them in the same turn, before they have a chance to share it among themselves. Generally, you should avoid giving battle tech to aggressive civs and wonder science to builder civs. You don't want Mongol tanks and you don't want the Aztecs beating you to building Copernicus' observatory, Newton's college or the SETI program. The AI will not want to trade with you if it's far enough ahead in tech. You should do the same and cut it off when you decide you have tech you don't want it to have. There are exceptions though. For example, you might want to help a weak civ against a bigger one and give them gunpowder, conscription, automobile or something similar for an older tech or even for free.

Yes, they aren't, but there are many ways around the limitations.

Demand tribute any time you feel like they would cave in. Also, if you know they're very weak, don't just demand tribute, flat out reject peace when they ask for it. Then there's a chance they'll offer you either cash, or tech, or both all of their cash and all of their tech.

Try to be early, at least with the cities that have a lot of trade potential.

This is kind of at odds with your desire for a full game.

Pretty normal for a commie with 10-size cities.

Libraries are one of your best friends in the tech race.

They're just wired that way. Aggressive when you're weak, fearful and aggressively teaming up on you when you're strong. Sometimes they'll even nuke you first if you grow in power too quickly and have no deterrent.

Happens.

Block your shores off with diplomats and/or other units. That way they can't land without attacking first. If they've landed and you want to keep peace, bribe single units.

Not sure why you have that impression and whether there's any basis for it. The AI gets a lot of slack, but I don't think a faster settler improvement rate is one of its perks.

They do, when they're in range, but the AI is kind of bad at estimating the ranges for its fighters when they have to land in a city other than the one they took off from. So, let's say that there's an AI fighter in city X and you bomb a target within the 5-square fighter radius. The fighter will fly out, attack and return to base X, if successful. But let's say you bomb a target that leaves your bomber 6 squares away from city X. If the fighter attacks it it cannot return to city X and can only land in the nearby city Y. And that's where the AI messes up as it seems unable to plan the fighter's return to a different base. Instead of taking off from X, attacking your bomber near Y and then landing there in the same turn, it will try to relocate from X to Y in one turn and use the next one to eventually attack.

3. Terry Teo

Terry Teo Chieftain

Mize! Thanks for answering so thoroughly!
    Now I will embrace big cities and milk my human advantage in micro-managing them :goodjob:
    To clarify about settlers: I don't think they have been assigned a speed advantage -I just muck around and don't prioritised improving my land fast enough so by the time I get into AI territory I notice how well they've been doing lol

4. Terry Teo

Terry Teo Chieftain

Also I forgot one; do their triremes sneak further than they should be able out into the ocean?

5. sjongejonge

sjongejonge Chieftain

I have noticed that as well. They seem to use them as if they were sails but don't know if that goes for all tribes. Sometimes your trireme can also venture out without dying as if there is a small survival chance in the code.

6. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Let's just say that the AI gets a lucky roll of the dice every time and always survives when floating triremes in the open sea.

7. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

civil unrest in a republic/democracy can cause your city to switch to another civ, same happens to the AI if the city is under disorder for enough turns. i dont know if it can happen under other government types.

triremes sinking is a roll of the dice thing, i dont know about the AI ones. but you can go around the world in a trireme without sinking, given enought luck or enough reloads of the turn

8. Theov

Theov Chieftain

Tue, Triremes sink at a 50% chance away from shore.
    So keep a hand on the rail, if your ship has no sail!

The ai throws with a very different kind of dice ;)

9. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

Yeah, AI triremes do not sink.