1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tall, Wide?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by awetzel, Oct 28, 2016.

1. awetzel

awetzel Chieftain

Is there any possible reason to build tall, It seems each city is independent from the nation. More cities = more troops, more districts, pop. Am i correct in thinking that expanding immediately and abundantly is the best strategy?

2. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

I tried to go tall one game with Kongo. They're probably your best bet for a tall game since they get their unique neighborhood replacement earlier. I feel like I could've won much earlier if I'd had more cities. Didn't have enough room for all my Great Works, which only slowed things down. So yeah, I think you're right. The more cities the better.

3. Becephalus

Becephalus King

So far I haven't seen almost any mechanics that make me think wide isn't strictly better. Have to spend a bit more time on settlers and defending them of course, but then you are also in a better position to defend yourself from barbs and enemies as well.

4. spfun

spfun King

Yeah optimally you should be taking cities from the AI as well as building your own and just keep taking cities until you can't stomach it anymore!. I have played 2 games where i was basically a warmonger while building up the production/science for that victory and both games were my fastest win times.

I like to play Tall though so Kongo will end up my most played nation without a doubt. Civ 5 suited my playstyle of peaceful tall builder, Civ 6 is basically the opposite but its an easy enough game anyway that its not really a problem.

5. Promethian

Promethian Warlord

Tall and wide are concepts that are not applicable to the game titled Civilization 6.

6. Wulf38

Wulf38 Warlord

Yep, tall vs. wide looks to be dead, you can be tall and wide. I'm glad about that, I always found tall vs. wide to be a pretty boring dichotomy.

The more interesting balance question to me is rapid expansion vs. gradual expansion. Civ 4 and later patches in Civ 5 had mechanics that made new cities a short-term drag on your tech rate, so there was a bit of a trade-off. In Civ 6 it seems the only downside to rapid expansion is that all the hammers going into settlers and builders can't go into military units, which could leave you vulnerable for a short time. The fact that population gives science and culture offsets the lack of early districts and buildings.

Staal likes this.
  7. Magil

Magil Monarch

It is certainly possible to expand too quickly and end up with amenity troubles, but when Zoos come in that helps a lot in keeping the population entertained (and later Stadiums). If you can land the Colosseum or the Mac Stadium that's also huge. Good reasons to prioritize culture for civics.

8. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Of course you can go tall in Civ VI!

Why you would limit yourself to 3-5 cities though, is beyond me. :lol:

9. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

Tall is gone, and good riddance!

The only way "tall" really comes into play now is in the very early game, were it can be better to build tall to get units and districts. But in the end you'll always want more land, which is how a civ game should be!

Staal likes this.
  10. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Warlord

I think medium/wide is the way to go. There aren't really any default overpowered buildable tiles anymore (manufactory/academy), so acquiring a lot of plains/grasslands just doesn't do much. Its important to get to 10/13 population but after that's about it. Also tile acquisition is slower and more expensive.

11. Esperr

Esperr King

In peaceful games a 5 city pentagon with factory overlap seems to be the best, with slow expansions off your initial pentagon if you still have room. Most games on small and standard maps I end up with five to eight citys. They are all "tall and wide" citys though, there isnt really any benefit to having less citys. I have tried rexing, and while its really good for domination games because you can spit out armys so fast, its not to great for peaceful games because the amenitys start to eat away at you.

12. orasis

orasis Prince

I think the concept itself is dead with VI. Not only because of districts and the way happiness/culture(civics) work, but, agendas as well.

13. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I founded 3 cities in modern era. They were about useless and could not keep up with my 6 cities i founded/conquered in classical era.

14. orasis

orasis Prince

That seems to be a thing.

15. Miravlix

Miravlix King

I'm not sure, but I think the horrible Civ V four cities to beat the game mechanic is dead.

That doesn't mean wide isn't still limited in Civ VI, it just take more cities to hit the soft limits. Like one type of Lux only give amenities to 4 (Aztech 6) cities, so having insane number of cities would run you out of amenities to grow them. Then you run into the skyrocketing cost of things.

So Tall is simply a lot more than four cities, but not unlimited numbers, you would have to go for 3 pop cities to go unlimited wide.

16. orasis

orasis Prince

Seems more realistic to me, and an expansion may make it even more interesting.

V after all of these years became very formulaic (all games are). After six years of hammering the strategy it was more or less revealed to all. 4 cities, tradition, science/academies. = Win.

We will continue to peek into VI but so far it looks like, to me anyways, that production and gold are very important this time around.

17. Martin_K

Martin_K Chieftain

they replaced the artificial limits of civ 5 with a more "organic" system. i kinda like that new approach. it always felt silly that civ 5 actively punishes you for founding/conquering new cities. new cities aren't necessarily going to contribute much after your core cities are built up and have grown to a decent size, so it may not be worth the hassle to found more cities, but at least the game doesn't punish you for building new cities to grab some strategic resources.

also, it makes warfare fun again. more like it was in civ 4. in civ 5, warfare (to me) was almost exclusivley about somehow managing the happiness penalties, not about actually winning the war.

18. CivScientist

CivScientist Warlord

I wish tall was viable for certain strategies. Say, you're going towards a cultural victory you get advantages for building tall but other victories require a more wide strategy. As it is now, though, it seems the optimal strategy is to build at a specific brisk pace until mid to late game.

19. nukehumvee

nukehumvee Warlord

Tall and wide.
    Tall = more citizens = more worked tiles = more resources.
    Wide = more citizens = more worked tiles = more resources.

20. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Civ V was the only version of the series that had choose one (Tall or Wide) but not both.

Every other version, including Civ VI, is claim all the land you can (wide) and grow each of your cities and much as you can (tall)

Stilinski and MistyRonin like this.