• Yes, tanks should come later in the game

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Chinese American

Hamtastic Knight
Several problems with Tanks.

1) Historically Tanks came hundreds of years after Rifleman and Cannons. In the game, you can get tanks right after those two and immediately outclass both of them. In fact, tanks were thought up as a solution to WWI infantry trench warfare. As such tanks should come after infantry; at least in the same period and not before.

2) Tanks too early in the game and easy to exploit. Get Invention and Combustion, both not that far apart, rush Leo's Workshop and BAM, instant Tank armies when pikemen are still the most common defenders. Even Riflemen are no match.

3) Tank is the fastest land unit, but it doesn't require a tech like Horsemen do, to account for its mobility. It should require researching Automobile before you can get tanks. This also puts it closer to modern era rather than early industrial.

Yes, there are tons of reasons for something to be too early or too late. I figure it is more interesting to talk about how to use the traits the game actually has rather than complaining that it is bad.

Following what you say: A good strategy is to beeline for Tanks while keeping defense good enough and then go for the offence. However, beelining for Tanks will keep you away from many other interesting techs like irrigation, monarchy, and religion. Techs that I find very worthwhile for growth, culture, and economy. There is a good balance in the game it is just a matter of going for the strategy you like. Perhaps even in Domination using tanks this late in the game is too late, better to rush your enemies (at least a few of them) with horsemen or knights.

In other words. I disagree with you.

Yes, there are tons of reasons for something to be too early or too late. I figure it is more interesting to talk about how to use the traits the game actually has rather than complaining that it is bad.

Following what you say: A good strategy is to beeline for Tanks while keeping defense good enough and then go for the offence. However, beelining for Tanks will keep you away from many other interesting techs like irrigation, monarchy, and religion. Techs that I find very worthwhile for growth, culture, and economy. There is a good balance in the game it is just a matter of going for the strategy you like. Perhaps even in Domination using tanks this late in the game is too late, better to rush your enemies (at least a few of them) with horsemen or knights.

In other words. I disagree with you.

It's obvious how to use this 'trait', which I explained in my second point.

You dont have to beeline to tank. You beeline to invention (extra GP), then monarchy (another GP) and feudalism (free knight) anyway because they lead to gunpowder. While building knights and Leo's workshop, you start researching metallurgy and combustion. If the GP were builder and scientist, that's game. Since knights come before rifleman, and with combustion and Leo, I can get tanks before you can get too many rifleman. Essentially cannon, and to a lesser extent rifleman, are obsolete before they even have a chance.

The thing is, CivRev is all about a streamlined, faster game than say Civ IV for example. This was the biggest argument for it by the fanbois and the biggest argument against it by people who wanted a more detailed thought-provoking game.

I'd say you're pretty much out of luck if you want a more historically accurate and in-depth game.

The designer knows he has achieved perfection not when he has nothing left to add, but when he has nothing left to take away. Sound familiar? In the case of Civ IV, they should have stopped taking away before CivRev.

Top Bottom