1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tax systems in various countries:

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mallipeep, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Warlord

Im interested in tax systems in various countries.

In my country (Estonia) when employee pays 3000€, the goverment deducts following:
    Social security (company) : 736.61€, 24.55%
    Unemployment insurance ( company) : 31.25€, 1.04%
    Pension fund ( employee) : 44.64€, 1.49%
    Unenployment insurance ( employee) : 62.5€, 2.08%
    Income tax ( employee) : 416.01, 13.87%

Total money received: 1708.99€ , or 56.97%

My country has flat tax, but "social security insurance" has no cap - hence when compared to germany (progressive tax, but social security insurance cap) - it often balances the total tax burden out at most income levels.

There are two sides in our politics, one who is pushing progressive tax in addition to non-capped social-security-insurance and another who wants to add the social-security-insurance cap without progressive tax - both of these seems excessive to me.

So since i have decent knowledge of only two tax systems ( Estonia & Germany ) i'd like to know about more countries - does every country with progressive income tax also have social-insurance cap - or are there countries with both flat-tax + social-insurance-cap / progressive-tax + no-social-insurance cap.

edit to elaborate on main exemptions in response to second post:
    ---
    In addition there is 20% VAT/sales tax + lot of high ( 50-150% range) taxes on tobacco/gas/alcohol
    no VAT exemption for basic foodstuffs/supplies like in many european countries
    pension/social-security becomes available at about 65 year old
    job-specific exemptions: eligible for pension at earlier age ( 5x-ish) for policemen/firemen and similar jobs
    re-invested corporate capital has no income tax, as long as you invest all the money in this country.
    - exemption here - a corporation can invest in foreign country tax-free as long as the sum does not exceed what the corporation has invested here initially ( so if you invested 100000€ in estonia, you can re-invest 100.000€ tax-free elsewhere, but no more

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Interesting thread.

Couple of questions:
    -do you have any local taxes?
    -are there VAT or sales tax?
    -at what age can the employee begin to draw a pension or social security?
    -are there types of jobs exempt from these rules?

I live in USA, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable explain our tax system.

3. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

The allegedly ~50% tax rate on wage labor in Latvia is something i've heard Michael Hudson clamor about for years.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Here in Argentina, VAT is 21% for most stuff, and 27% for some industries, IIBB (Ingresos Brutos - net income) is 2%, Ganancias (Income Tax) is on a scale that is changed by the government all the time.

Export duties for the farmers are 35%, plus the 2% IIBB and 21% VAT, and if anything's left over they apply the Income tax.
    Strikingly, the great mining companies (like, say, Barrick Gold) pay less than 5% overall thanks to special tax exemptions.

5. Arwon

Arwon

In Australia I don't think we have a "social security insurance" thing, specificially. Welfare payments including pensions just come out of general revenue, although there is a 1% levy for Medicare, not that it covers all health costs.

For social security, as well as means-tested pensions from general revenue, we have compulsory saving system called superannuation. Employers must contribute at least 9% (I get 15%) on top of your gross pay into a superannuation fund which accumulates and you can't access until you retire.

Overall tax burden is around 30% of GDP.

As far as progressive income tax rates go, the first $6000 are tax-free then it's 15% until $37000. The top tax rate of 45% kicks in on income over $180 000 a year. The tax-free income threshold will rise from $6000 to $18000 next year as part of the carbon price compensation package.

Additionally student debt is done through the tax system. I pay about 6% of my total taxable income back, through the tax system, as an interest-free repayment on my university debt. Those repayments kick in around $49000 at 4%, and can go up to 8% for higher earners.