Taxing Matters - 500AD

What about these general management issues?

• A. Keep Tax 30%, Science 70%, Max Science? (R)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • A. Bump Tax 40%, we only have 290 gold?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • A. Bump Tax other%, see my post?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Budget: Spend even $13+25+25 to disband Roskilde

• C. RC maybe build a needed Settler, defer Marco's

• C. Plan as necessary to build Marco's soon

• D. Maybe best to run loose, as Duke suggested in Turn 420AD (R)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • D. Maybe polls represent the binding will of the people

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • E. The Governors are a big help, they advise the Minister of The Interior (R)

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • E. The Governors are a big help, they control their Province precisely

• F. The Minister of The Interior seems to get the last word, thank goodness (?)

• G. We are grateful The President gets the last word, not critical (?)

• H. Maybe play only 1 or 2 turns, so we can see the affect of Mike's

• H. Maybe play 3-5 turns like normal, we can imagine Mike's

• J. I have a more important idea for governance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • K. Nemo, this is too many different issues for one poll.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryNemo

Settler from None
We seem to have enough gold, and will earn more from the Silk delivery to Dehli Demand, and trade with the Vikings. We have always planned Fruit City, and to relocate Roskilde to Routskilde, so let's get it over with. I am saddened greatly that the controversy last turn seems to have scared people off, and that myself and the Governors are gun shy. We need unity to conquor the AI.

Everyone, please contemplate, then vote.

Can I make a suggestion with the boat containing silk for Delhi? I think it should follow the land in the opposite direction to the coast nearer LC. iirc, when we first explored the area where LC was founded, the exploring unit was nearer Delhi than our cities, so I thin Delhi will be near the coast in that region.

For those of you that can't load the game, we are currently getting $42 and science in 6 turns. Changing to 40.60, we get $52 and still 6 turns for science.

D. Maybe polls represent the binding will of the people

One thing to maybe bear in mind is that sometimes people don't have time to post long threads on their opinion, particularly if their opinion has already been expressed by someone else. I know I've done it myself - spent an hour or so catching up on posts, then voting but not actually saying anything. I'm sure we'd all rather those people just voted in the polls than not get involved at all! All of us who have an advisory position need to make sure we represent the people, and that the silent majority don't feel that their views are being over-ridden just because those in authority don't agree with it. As someone said in a previous post, we are playing as a democracy. The polls are very important and I think a lot of consideration needs to be given to the outcomes. If there is no clear outcome, use your discretion as an elected official. If there is a clear winner, I can't see any other option than to listen to the will of the people.

If we change tax to 60/40 will it affect science at all ? (giving that the science advisor still tells us discoveries are being made each 6 turns).

Although the amount of money we've got seems an awful lot I think we need some more. Clearly we're not taking over the AI with military force as we don't have enough units to do so. Therefore we need a lot of cash to buy the cities from the AI. Cities will become more expensive when bigger and closer to the capitol. So Viking cities will most likely more expensive than what we paid until now. Concerning other enemies: we haven't even bothered them so their cities will most likely have grown without interuption and will be rather big: so they'll be expensive! Just a thought.

I should think changing the science rate will reduce the number of beakers produced, but we still produce enough in 6 turns to learn the next tech. I should think the number of beakers carried forward would be reduced, and in the long term less techs are discovered over so many hundred years. But as a short term measure to increase revenue to buy more towns (and hence more beakers) it's worth doing.

So far 2 other brave souls have voted.
They both agree this is too many different issues for one poll.
So now what?

I think the vote on D & E is most important, and you might as well throw in a vote for A and H as well.

First, I think the polls should be binding if there is a clear
majority on the issue. If the officials can override a clear
verdict from a poll, what is the point of having a poll in the
first place? As Jayne said, it is a *democracy* game. I also
agree with her that if a poll does not give a clear verdict, the
the offcials should be allowed to use their discrection.

Second, I agree with the Duke. The questions on how the
game is conducted should have been separate from the
usual tax/build issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom