Tea and coffee

MarshalN

Prince
I'm still miffed that with the new expansion they didn't include tea and coffee - two of the most important commodities in the pre-modern world, and certainly important luxuries (people even went to war over tea) and yet, no inclusion in the game. Sigh.

Rant over.

I feel the exact same way. I also wish that Tobacco could be used. I find it bizarre that things like INCENSE, DYES and TRUFFLES are considered luxuries in the Modern ages, yet TEA, COFFEE, TOBACCO are not even present.

Moderator Action: This seems to be suggesting that tea and coffee might be good additions to the game, so moved to I&S.

While I agree that it's odd that they were never included as luxuries in the game I never felt like I was missing out or anything.

Also, Tea can be made from a variety of items so I would find it hard to lump into one generic Lux. Coffee on the other hand make for a better Luxury because of it's ubiquity and easier to define parameters.

Well, there could be even more luxuries, used since the antiquity... Like the Cannabis sativa ;)

Well, there could be even more luxuries, used since the antiquity... Like the Cannabis sativa ;)
Yes!
No it can't (Burn the heretic! :D). It's made from a plant. It's called tea.
Again, Yes!

Coffee and Tea should for sure be in as luxuries. Rice should be a bonus luxury also, IMHO. I don't even know what a truffle is. It's food, right?

I'd love to see dynamic resources both on a luxery and strategic level. Similar to Civ4 where you'd occasionally discover new metals with your mines, have some resources become more common over time and also have some resources become more depleted over time. For a real life scenario, salt and spices have become extremely common place in the modern era, whale and ivory were banned by the world congress, however gems (through clever marketing and monopolies) are rare and expensive. I don't want it always to play out with those resources though as things shouldn't always play out in Civ as they do on Earth.

there's a longstanding mod out there on Steam called Asian-American resources that i absolutely loved and used for GnK prior to BNW. it had Maize/Rice (basically a Wheat rework) and Tea/Tobacco (new luxes). but it didn't have Coffee though. idk if that mod is compatible with BNW.

a different lux mod out there for GnK had like Coffee, Mahogany, Ebony and stuff. i didn't get into that one.

It does seem odd they were left out, at least it would add some more variety, but the problem I see is if you get too many of these than it makes happiness too easy or are you saying to replace say truffles with tea since tea (green tea shall we say) is a much more common item. What would be nice though is if they had a bunch of these so say in once game you get tea in another you might get coffee in other truffles etc.

I also don't understand this tobacco thing, it's history folks do people really play a game see the tobacco trade and think "gee I'm going to take up smoking?" Seems like the opium war period would make an interesting mod, but no doubt that's not politically correct either even though it was an important part of world history. From what I remember from being young it was direct exposure to these things and peer pressure that made kids take up smoking or drugs not reading about them (this was pre home computer) and I can't see playing a game with them in is any different. Ok off my soapbox (hey how about the soap trade?).
Let's see:
potatoes (you've probably heard the story of their introduction to Queen E)
tea
coffee
corn
rice
rye
pork
poultry
obsidian
hemp
flax/linen
titanium
rare earths
all come to mind (some would be for later era additions not basics of course but they could add variety too though it wouldn't be as easy as the simple substitution of the early stuff).

Top Bottom