[BTS] Teaching an old dog new tricks: Improve my game to Emperor

oynaz

Prince
Hi guys,

I have been a casual Civ player since literally day 1, but I have never been able to win above Monacrh.

Now is the time to change that, so I am hoping you can help me. I plan posting a game in this thread, and asking you for advice underway.

I tend to start a half-hearted SE/CE hybrid before being tempted by some great piece of land, overexpanding, catching up, before finally getting attacked by someone, then conquering the entire world in a fit of righteous anger. At least I have the combat part of the game down pat.

This works on Monarch, but not on emperor.

Some bonus info: I like to play with additional AIs, often reaching 10 Civs in total. I also normally have raging barbs and aggressive AI turned on. I also normally do best with seaside starts, probably because I will lessen my tendency to over expand.

I do tend to pay very little attention to the spy and religion side of the game. Probably a mistake.

So, will you guys help me win my first emperor game?

I assume that the answer is yes for anyone still reading, so, how should I play it? Which civ and map type? I think that a first tier civ like the Dutch would be easiest, but I am open to suggestions.

I'd recommend a Pangaea map with standard settings - normal amount of AIs, no huts, no events, every other game option off, all victory conditions enabled. As for which Civ I think any that doesn't have a very good early UU/UB should be fine, though of course you're going to have a much rougher time playing Toku than Willem. Your choice which you think is better. As for the start, any that isn't excessively good or bad is fine.

Top Bottom