Team Color Disc

antares60

Chieftain
Under preferences you have the option to use the team color disc under a unit. Because of my bad eyesight, I use this option, but would like to make the disc a bit smaller. Where is the .pcx file located that is used, I can't seem to find it?

Thanks, that's the file.

But I'm so terrible with Paint Shop Pro that when I try to alter it, all I'm getting is a blue square in place of the circle.

Could one of you please alter it for me. What I'm looking for is the same size as the solid circle just above it, in that file. I think the solid circle is used when you zoom out during the game. If someone could hollow out that solid circle and paste it over the larger one below it, I'd really appreciate it.

Looks like the palette issue.
Export the palette from the original .pcx file, then apply to the new .pcx file. Should solve the problem.
If not - then some work is required to determine the area of not transparent color and recolor it.

Some gfx files made/used in some strange way - even shades count. Probably, this situation is one of them.

It is the palette indexes that are causing you problems.

There are the Same Colors in different areas of that Palette.
When you apply that palette or copy and paste, the Green and other colors will pick up the 1st colors on the palette that are the same... and that is Not the correct Color Slot to keep the same index. That file uses the indexes to have the Civ Specific Colors and that is programed to use particular slots for the same colors found in other slots.

Make a duplicate copy of that file... then after you resize what you want, you will have to make sure the correct palette slot for the Colors are what is used.

The same Green color is on Palette slots 231 and 247.
The same Magenta color is on 208 and 255.

Change the Color of the Green that is used on the palette to something not found on the palette. Add 100 Red for example. Also change the Magenta color. Reduce Red 100 for example. Then after making your changes to the circle change the colors back to their original colors. Check the file with the original file and make sure the same palette number is used.

EDIT: because there are other colors also the same on the palette you will need to change #245 light Blue, #228 Red, #247, Green and #255 Magenta to different colors by adding or reducing the Red, Blue Green amounts for them so they differ from all others. Then you can work on the File and when finished, change those colors back to their original colors so they use the same palette slots. This will take care of the problems concerning working on that file.
Hope this makes sense.

Note... If you want to work on the Cursor.pcx file, Change these Four colors on the palette first: #245 light Blue, #228 Red, #247, Green and #255 Magenta. You can add or reduce the Red, Blue Green for each of those colors so they differ from all others. The reason is they are in several palette slots and it is critical that you maintain indexes for those colors...the Color Slot Number used.

Do your work, copy/paste then change those four colors back to their original colors.

Also note that the Blue Squares are transparent so you can keep those the same size as you change the size for the Color Disc inside them.That is important so you can align the Disc properly. You will need to change all of the Disc squares and match them exactly.

It is simple IF you change the above mentioned four colors so you can maintain indexes when you work on that file for any changes you want.

Thanks for the explanation Vuldacon, I tried it and it worked. Now I just have to play around with border thickness and shape. Once again, thanks a lot.

Yes I did, but I think you misunderstood which disc I was trying to make smaller. The one I wanted to make smaller was the hollow oval, just below the solid green oval, which is under the bomb cursor boxes.

I finally got it to where I like it, but I may tinker with it some more later on. Here it is.

Attachments

• cursor.pcx
    52.8 KB · Views: 65
Etain... I also resize separately then copy/paste the image back onto the file. The problem is that those 4 colors will pick up the wrong palette slot with the same color and the indexes are then wrong. Even the colors that are not touched change unless they are all changed to different colors before doing any work.

I would suggest you check the four colors on the image file (#245 light Blue, #228 Red, #247, Green and #255 Magenta) and make sure they still use these original Palette slots. The Red and Light Blue will also change palette slots on the file when you only work on other colors.

The easiest way is to Save the Original Palette then change the four colors to something different. Then copy any section to work on or work on that file directly...after finishing, Load the Original Palette using Maintain indexes to restore the original palette exactly.

Top Bottom