Team Fortress 2

warpstorm

Yumbo? Yumbo!
Two thumbs way up. :goodjob:

And now we know exactly how the gameplay is like and all that, but, can you be any vaguer?

The thing i really want to know is, how much is it like CS:S? I dislike CS:S because it is soley run and gun and pray n spray. (Though it probably depends which server/mod you are playing).

I'll get it in the Orange Box along with Portal.

As above. Looking forward to playing it, particularly love the graphic style.

I am more looking forward to Left 4 Dead though. Zombies :D

Sorry, PrinceScamp, too busy playing it to give a review.

I can't compare it to CS:S as I do not play CS:S. It is very fast paced and chaotic, though.

For those with no Google-Fu, TF2 is a multi-player (only) team-based, role-based first person shooter with a cartoony graphic style.

Currently, there are no mods (or at least every server I've tried was playing the standard version). I'm sure this will change in the future.

The game has six maps. Five of them are control point maps and the last is a capture the flag map. There are no Deathmatch modes in the game at all.

The game has you play as one of nine classes, each of which has different weapons available and consequently different play-styles. Soldiers use rockets and shotguns, scouts are very fast, demolitions have grenades and bombs, engineers build stuff, medics heal, Heavies lumber into battle with a big-honking gun, spies impersonate team member on the other side to sabotage equipment or back stab players, snipers look for the head shot and, pyros test other players for being spies.

I love the non-realistic over the top art style.

Well, I'm going to see if the guys from work have gotten online.

Fast Paced is better than waiting ages for 2 people to camp in opposite corners of the map for 5 minutes.

... That's not what I meant. It seems like all of Valve's multiplayer FPS games invovled running very fast, pumping a lot of bullets into someone to hurt them, and occaisional bunny hopping.

Sometimes that's fun, but I'm used to Red Orchestra. Where if you shoot someone in the hand they might drop their gun, in the head they die, leg they are slowed down for a bit. That's why I don't like CSS, and I don't play much HL2 multi (but the mods are pretty fun).

TF2 is an exception, it's cartoony for one, I can't see how it would work any other way, but I hope that you can't sit there and absorb bullets.

... That's not what I meant. It seems like all of Valve's multiplayer FPS games invovled running very fast,

In CS:S that is in no way a requirement.

pumping a lot of bullets into someone to hurt them,

Good players of CS:S won't go through a clip to kill other players.

and occaisional bunny hopping.

Considered to be an exploit on the most popular Game Server Provider in Australia, so I'm happy to also consider it an exploit (again CS:S)

In CS:S that is in no way a requirement.
Good players of CS:S won't go through a clip to kill other players.
Considered to be an exploit on the most popular Game Server Provider in Australia, so I'm happy to also consider it an exploit (again CS:S)

I meant the vanilla CSS, without mods. Also I play around with the weapons in Garys Mod sometimes.

Anyways, we're getting off topic.

WHen they have guest passes for TF2 and Portal, send me a PM!

Firing an entire clip to kill someone doesn't mean that they're near-invincible, it means you're missing :p

Regardless, I don't go into games like CS and DoD expecting a slow-paced game - hell, sometimes I go in for five minutes because I know it'll be a quick blast. Likewise, I don't play a game of Age of Empires expecting to have a week-long game ala Total War.

... That's not what I meant. It seems like all of Valve's multiplayer FPS games invovled running very fast, pumping a lot of bullets into someone to hurt them, and occaisional bunny hopping.

Only the scout moves fast, the other classes are pretty slow. You can't even run. My favorite is the pyro, but it's not the most useful class. It's a nice break from playing medic though.

Check out this brilliant movie. It depicts why the game is so much fun (but imagine some more people in the server ;) ).

You guys really think it was that good? I dont know Ijust vant seem to get into it at all, theres no generic "rifleman" class and I hate that, The soldier class doesnt count either they have a rocket launcher and a shotgun, the onlt reall assualt rifle in the game is the secondary gun that the snip[er has. I just dont really dig on online shooters like this, I like the more traditional kind.

Tis indeed AWESOME! The graphical style is much fun and very refreshing. The FPS genre in particular seems to have sucked itself into an all-consuming quest for photo-realism and it's good to see a game buck the trend, especially one that does it with as much sheer glee as TF2. :D

Nice graphics, balanced gameplay weighted towards up-close gun battles, and I like how you get to massacre the losing team after winning a round.

Top Bottom