Team FREE: The Gong War

CommandoBob

AbstractArt
These stories were somewhat sketched out while the war progressed. However, the pace of the war was faster than my pace of writing!

Four stories, all war-related.

'Wake up,' said the voice, shaking CommandoBob roughly on the houlder, 'You need to wake up.'

'Ouch! That hurts! Okay, okay, I'm awake. A bit.'

'Good, you've both got to get dressed and get dressed quickly. We don't have much time.'

Slowly CommandoBob rose up in the bed he was in, finding out that he had a lot of places that were hurting. One eye would not open all the way so he squinted as he glanced over the surrondings.

'Come on,' pestered the voice, still unseeen, and somewhat upset, 'we don't have all day.'

'Yeah. Right,' groaned the aching one, 'What's the big rush?'

'Your pals at FREE have gone nuts and declared war on us. This city was captured by your people and then retaken by Gong troops. Lots of people died. All the "cultured" places were destroyed. Now that the city is back to being Green, people are angry. I just heard some muttering about you two being here and being easy targets.'

'Ahh, ow, I see. Where are my clothes; I'll get changed.'

'Alright, you get started; I'll awake your partner.'

Slowly, achingly, CommandoBob and Peter Schickele got dressed. As they laboriously got into their own clothing, they got a brief update on their condition and the world around them.

'I'm Dr. Niklas Broberg, I treated both of you. You both came here unconscious but beside that you have no real permanent injuries. You each have some cracked ribs, but nothing is broken. No signs of concussion or serious cranial injuries. You'll have headaches for a few days though. Your faces were a mass of bruises but your teeth are all intact. Most of the bruising is gone by now. We got your glasses replaced so you can still see, but the frames are different.'

Wordlessly, both men of FREE examined their new spectacles. Small, wire frames had been replaced with thick, black, plastic frames.

As one, they donned the dark frame horrors and saw that they could see things in focus.

'Thanks, doc,' said Schickele, thickly.

CommandoBob shook his head slightly and was rewarded with a very lightheaded feeling caused by a blinding pain inside his head.

'Sorry, you don't want to do that,' Dr. Broberg chided.

'Oh, yeah, you got that right,' gasped CommandoBob.

'So, physically were fine, right?' asked the other.

'Not fine, but living. You both need a few days bed rest for the pain to go away. As I said, the bruising is just about all gone. But the war has changed things. Now, swallow these pills. They'll make the pain go away and fight off any infection you might have picked up here.'

Both men swallowed the small blue pills with a small glass of water.

'You said the war changed things. Okay, how? In what way?'

'People want to kill you because they blame you for the war. I know, you were here when it started and under sedation at the time, but the masses want a scapegoat and for now it is you two. We've kept your presence here at a low profile, but that protection is gone. People know where you are at.'

'And you've got a plan?' guessed CommandoBob. 'Yes, of course you do, or you would have walked away.'

'I have a plan. No one knows what you look like, really, so it should work. We're going to switch you with two recent victims of the war that look a bit like you. They will stay in your room while you leave.'

'Better than death,' muttered Schickele.

'What do you need from us?' queried CommandoBob.

'ID papers for the bodies, mostly. We'll have to produce them to help validate the death.'

Both men grimaced, but slowly pulled out the required documents and gave them to the doctor. In return, he gave them a similar set of documents.

As CommandoBob opened his he said, 'My new name is, ah, Clark Kent?'

'And I'm Peter Parker?'

'I don't know. I didn't give them their names, ' defended Broberg. 'Why, what's wrong with 'em?'

'Uh, well, is mine wearing a red cape with blue leotards and a red bathing suit?'

'And is Parker masked, in a red body suit with a big spider on his chest?'

'I didn't see the bodies when they arrived, but we did have a series of unfortunate events at a Science Fiction/Comic Book convention. Why?'

'Nevermind.'

'So these are our new names. What else?'

Dr. Broberg presented each man with a large, rather lumpy bag that had two padded straps attached to it.

'I've got a backpack for each of you. Food, snacks and a change of clothes are in each one. In the side pockets is enough currency to keep you going for a while.'

'I've also got two train passes for you to get you out of Graceland. These passes will let you go anywhere here that a train goes to. The train station is nearby.'

'Look, Doc, I don't know what to say, but you've overlooked one thing. Our clothes are just too conspicious. No body rides a train, carrying a backpack, dressed in a tuxedo,' observed CommandoBob.

'Oh, that's right.' The doctor turned around and opened up another bag. 'Here, put these on,' handing each a small oblong box.

'Tennis shoes! White tennis shoes with a tuxedo!'

'Calm down, Peter, calm down. White tennis shoes, a tuxedo and a backpack, carried by someone with a beard. Does that seem like a dangerous person?'

'Sounds like an eccentric professor,' quipped CommandoBob.

Schickele nodded his head.

'Well, yeah, I can play that role,' he answered. 'Can you?'

'I can always play the straight man and let you deliver the punch lines,' replied CommandoBob. 'That works for me.'

Quickly the shoes were switched out and the tennis shoed tuxedos combed their hair, picked up the back packs and made ready to leave.

'Doc, this is awful nice of you. We didn't expect such help. Why?'

'Well, I'm not a native of these lands. I came from the land of Dark Blue and as soon as you two clowns shove off I'm heading back home. I'm ready to do some damage to the Purple People Eaters.'

'Well, Dr. Broberg, we do appreciate all your help. Thank you,' said CommandoBob as he stuck out his hand.

'You're welcome,' responded the doctor, 'Quite welcome.'

Both men stared at each other strangely as they shook hands.

'We haven't met before, have we?' asked CommandoBob.

'It sure feels like we have, but then again...'

'Smurkz,' said Schickele.

'Huh?'

'Oh, sorry. I belched,' explained the embarassed professor. 'I swallowed some air with my pills; I do that all the time.'

'Maybe we'll meet again later,' said the doctor. 'But for right now we need to leave.'

'Yes. Come on, Peter Parker, we have a train to catch.'

'Surely, Clark Kent, we shall have a super time.'

Once outside the medical facility, the visible effects of two occupations in Graceland were hard to see. This portion of the city had been spared any fighting, but the people seemed nervous and skitish. The rain did not help any, either.

'We need to change clothes,' said CommandoBob. 'What Niklas said made some sense, but people will remember two men in tuxedos.'

'I'm hungry. I don't remember the last time I ate.'

Ahead was a small resturant, McGongald's. They entered it and CommandoBob headed for the door that said 'MENS'. The room inside was empty. He entered a stall and flushed the toilet. over the sound of running water he dug through the backpack and found the stash of local currency. A few bills were rather small, but many had 3 digits on them. He took one of those and the smaller ones and stuffed the larger ones into his left front pocket and the smaller into his right pocket. He exited the room and met his partner outside. Quickly he glanced over the menu and said, 'I'm buying; you find us a place to sit.'

Once he got the meal to the table he sat down and told the other tuxedo, 'Eat fast. We gotta leave soon.' He spoke quietly.

The other one opened up the paper wrapping, took the hand meal and took out a large chunk of it. 'Mmwmwy?' he asked.

'We don't fit in here. We're way overdressed. We stick out like a sore thumb.' He took a sip of his drink and then a bite of food. 'We're about to have a fight.'

'?'

'I'm going to start it, you follow my lead. After it's over, you go left and I'll go right. We'll meet back in the middle one block south of here. Got it?'

Peter swallowed and nodded in reply. 'Got it.'

CommandoBob suddenly stood up, knocking some food onto the floor. 'Take it back!' he said rather loudly, nasally and in a higher pitch than normal. 'You take that back this instance, do you hear?'

Schieckele rose slowly to his feet and placed his hands on the table. 'I will not. What I said was the truth and you know it.' His voice, normally rather soft, now boomed throughout the small room.

'Was not. It's a lie. Lie, lie, lie!' shrilled CommandoBob, and stomping his feet.

'It's the truth, but you're too stupid to see it,' growled the other actor in the drama.

'Oh, now I'm stupid am I? Just last week I was the most brilliant thing you had ever seen. But now I'm stupid.'

'You're stupid and you dye your hair and I don't want to see you again!'

'Well, I can take a hint. But first,' and here he took the remains of his hand meal and slowly spread it all over Peter's face. The meaty portion fell to the table, but the liquids just dripped from his face. Schickele's brows knit together and his face turned deep red.

'Why, you little - ' he began as he pulled his right arm back and balled his fist.

Suddenly a large man in a green uniform with a badge stepped between the two men and pushed them apart.

'Allright, what's going on here, huh? Somebody want to tell me?' he glared at both men, his hands now on his hips.

'He started it,' bleated CommandoBob, with a slight sniff. 'He said the flute player was prettier than I was. And,' here he stopped for a breath and a sob, 'that she didn't have to dye her hair like I did.'

'Oh, I see,' stated the man in green, now obviously a cop, to Peter. 'Trying to break up quietly in a public place, aren't we? Git outta here,' he said, grabbing both men and pulling them towards the door.

'My brother runs a respectable place and your scarin' the customers. Now git,' he said, pushing them out the door.

'But!' wailed CommandoBob.

'Is this your gear?' asked the cop. 'Well, go and get it.' So saying he threw one bag in each direction down the street. 'Go away and don't come back!'

'My treasures!' cried CommandoBob as he went to get the one thrown to the right.

'Good riddance, pest!' growled Peter as he picked up the one thrown to the left and kept walking down the street.

The other one sobbed as he picked up the back pack and continued down the street in the other direction.

In a few minutes the two men met up again. One of them had managed to change clothes.

'I saw a clothing store, looked expensive.' stated CommandoBob.

'I found a receiving dock with a dumpster nearby, down a short alley. My old stuff is in the dumpster.'

'Show me.'

In just a few minutes the other tuxedo was gone, too, and both men were walking to the train station, following the locomotive signs and arrows posted along the streetsides.

'Did you keep the belt, Peter?'

'Yeah, why? It's the only belt I've worn over here.'

'Good. Back in Free, just to be safe because we were traveling abroad, I took the precaution of having a duplicate set of ID papers sewn inside of everyone's belt. I didn't think we need them, but I went ahead and did it, just as insurance. Now that there's a war on -'

'We've got a way to prove who we are, if we need to. Good thinking.'

They walked in silence as they neared the train station.

'Uh, by the way, Mr. Kent, where are we taking the train to?'

'Sugar Mountain, near the coast. Have you ever been to The Great Library? Wonderful place.'

CommandoBob and Peter Schickele walked into the Grand Plaza of The Great Library and looked around. Off tot the right were public lockers where they stowed their back packs.

'Follow me,' said CommandoBob.

At a leisurely pace the two men strolled through various ante-chambers and displays of ancient and modern wisdom. Then CommandoBob just opened a door and beckoned Schieckle to follow. He did. Without speaking, CommandoBob started walking at a brisk pace down the narrow hallway. Schieckele struggled to keep up. They went up several flights of stairs and passed many doors. Most had writing above the door frame but there was no time to read. Finally they stopped by a door that looked like all the other doors they had passed before.

'Almost there.'

This door opened up onto a thick carpet in a richly paneled hallway. Still leading the way, CommandoBob strode down the hallway and stopped in front of a door that said 'The Great Librarian' and under that in smaller letters, 'Hector Archimedes'. CommandoBob smiled. 'This is the man we want to see.' And he opened the door.

As expected, this room was nicely decorated. A lady sat behind a desk and seemed suprised to see them. Before she could say a word she was asked 'Is Hector in?' by CommandoBob as he walked across the room to another door. 'Yes, I mean no, he's busy right now,' she began.

'That's okay, he'll see us,' she was told while that door was being opened. The two men walked in and tried to close the door behind them but the secretary kept it open.

'I'm sorry Mr. Archimedes, but they wouldn't listen to me.'

Hector sat behind his desk and looked up from his reading. He looked at the two men and slowly asked, 'What can I do for you?'

'We would like to discuss the cleanliness of the facilites here. Specifically, the cleanliness of the executive facilities,' started CommmandoBob.

The Great Librarian leaned back in his chair and chewed on a pencil.

'Miss Jones, I think I'll be okay. We shouldn't need to call security, but you can if it would make you feel safer.'

'If you say so. I may call security anyway, just in case.'

'Ma'am, we need five minutes alone with your boss. We are not armed and mean no harm. We simply have a private business deal to discuss.'

'Plus,' added Peter, 'five elementary school buses just pulled up out front. Security is going to be more worried about little Johnny destroying a priceless antique than they are about us.'

'What?' exclaimed Archimedes as he jumped up from his chair and looked out the window. 'Five buses? That's not until tomorrow. Miss Jones, go help Security; I'll be down shortly.'

'Yes, Mr. Archimedes, sir.' And she left, closing the door behind her.

'Now, gentlemen, let's make this brief, since I don't have much time. What is this private bussiness deal? How much does she want this time to stay quiet?'

'You've got us wrong,' corrected CommandoBob. 'We're not here about that.'

'Well, hurry up then.'

'Here's the situation. The FreeZers came in and captured the city and did not damage this complex. Gong liberated the city and still no damage. Pretty good. But the city lost a lot of people and those guys in teal are still camped out on the beaches northwest of here. The counterattack cost a lot of lives and until the FreeZers are gone the larger cities are going to be drafted to provide military units.'

'So.'

'So, suddenly this place is extremely important. The Freezers destroyed a lot of libraries, but they left this one untouched. There is probably more learning here than in the rest of Gong combined.'

'Maybe.'

'That means lots of influential people will be coming here. Lot's of big shots using your potties. And that is where we want to help.'

'We do?' asked Schickele.

'You do? How?' shot back Archimedes.

'We want to clean your bathrooms. For a small price, of course.'

'Of course,' sneered Hector, 'And your small price is...'

'Uniform, supplies, a place to sleep and food to eat.'

'Sure,' shot back the disbelieving Librarian.

'Consider your benefits,' countered CommandoBob. 'First, no head count. We won't appear on any audit of the books. Second, you've got plenty of empty and vacant rooms in the lower levels, places that no one goes to anymore. We'll use one of those. Third, that gives you some extra places to put those sons and daughters of the influential who want their children to avoid the rigors of war. And all you have to do is just increase your student count and give us food passes. That shouldn't be too hard, students are always coming and going and their precise number is always sort of vague.'

The Great Librarian sat down, a puzzled look on his face.

'You're serious about this. Do you know how many bathrooms there are here?'

'My last count was 200 stalls each, men and women, in the public area for the masses, about 200 combined stalls in 18 various locations for the support staff, and 50 or so for the executive staff and one, and only one, private potty for you.'

'Yeah, those were the numbers a few years back, but we've grown since then. Six hundred public stalls and 300 support staff stalls.'

Now he got wary.

'But what's in it for you two? That's quite a bit of messy work for a place to sleep and cafteria food to eat.'

'Well,' said CommandoBob, putting on a big smile, 'It's like this. You see, I'm CommandoBob and he is Peter Schickele and we're both FreeZers, and we are sort of responsible for this war and we're just looking for a place to hide out until peace breaks out.'

Archimedes spread his hands wide. 'Okay, okay, if you don't want to tell me just say so. I was curious, that's all. No need to make up stories.'

'Now, I've got to go and help Security with crowd control. You are going to help me. And after that, once we get the ankle biters out of our hair, the potties are yours, gentleman, they are all yours.'

Evening was just beginning when CommandoBob stepped out onto the roof of The Great Library. For some time now it had been his habit to spend the evenings and part of the night on the highest portion of The Great Library Complex, which towered over the city of Sugar Mountain. The Great Library was built into the side of Sugar Mountain, a fact that he knew quite well. Some parts even went all the way through Sugar Mountain and opened up to the grasslands near the coast, but these were small and well hidden. Right now, as he walked to his little, private spot on the rooftop where he kept his tables and chairs, he noticed the quiet of the city. When he had first arrived it had taken damage from the war, but ever since it had slowly shrunk in size and each night seemed quieter than the last.

As he completed his last steps across the concrete to his terraced retreat on the rooftop he saw that the door was open. Strange. Nothing of any real value was inside, no gold or gems, and the furniture had seen better days. Not too worried, he stepped inside and saw that whoever had broken the padlock was still inside and resting in one of the easy chairs.

'Can I help you?'

The person in the chair arose. He was clad in a dull, dark green outfit, with short, sturdy boots.

'If you are CommandoBob, why, yes you can.'

'CommandoBob? Isn't he a FreeZer? I thought he was dead.'

'Oh, no, he is very much alive, aren't you?'

'But I'm...'

'Clark Kent, yes I know. Hector Archimedes told me all about you.'

'He did?'

'Sure he did, how else would I know where to find you?'

CommandoBob shut his open mouth and then frowned knowingly. 'Touche.'

'And he told me about your pay arrangments. And the private study areas that you rented out to the students here, down in the lower levels.'

'He told you about that?'

'Well, his son let it slip one day. He's a student here, by the way. Hector liked the idea but as Great Librarian he could not implement such a plan. So he did nothing, while you helped him by removing, ah, study distractions, away from the studious.

'And then recently he approached me about his suspicions of you and Peter. And now we are here.

'Allow me to introduce myself. I am PrinceMyshkin, Commander of GONG Forces.'

'Prince MaShooSkin?'

The other laughed slightly. 'No, not even close. Prince will do just fine.'

'Then call me CB. Now, one of the first things I do is fix some coffee when I get here. It's decaf, but it's warm and it does get chilly here. Want some?'

Prince nodded slowly. 'Yes, I think I will have a cup or two.'

'I've got some homemade pizza. It won't take long to cook. Hungry?'

'Now you're talking. Yes!'

The next few minutes were spent making small talk while the pizza baked and the coffee brewed. CB told of how the room had been built, which was mostly with college labor and a great sense of humor. 'I really didn't think they would do all of this, but they just loved the idea of a janitor having his own place on the roof. And building it in secrecy and getting it wired for electricity without other libary people knowing anything about it.'

The pizza was soon done and gone.

And the conversation turned serious again.

'Now why is the Commander of GONG here? Don't you have more important things to do? Shouldn't you be getting ready for the next attack?'

'Even I get a night off once in a while. Anyway, all the orders are already given.'

'So again I ask, why are you here?'

'Because I'm afraid. Afraid I missed something that might have made a difference in how this war turned out. Afraid that troops have been sacrificed for nothing. Afraid, afraid that I've failed my people. I've done my best but it hasn't been enough.'

Silence.

CommandoBob took a deep breath and spoke slowly and softly.

'I think you have confused a lack of success with failure.'

PrinceMyshkin looked at him in puzzlement, as if he had heard something wrong.

'Think of it like this. You get a disease that can kill you, like a cancer. What do you do? Roll over and die or fight it? You fight it. You go to the doctors and find out what they have to say. You do all the treatments, you take all the medicine. You get real weak; you lose weight; your hair falls out, but you fight it. You don't give up. Maybe it goes away and maybe it doesn't. Maybe it even kills you. So? Losing your life to cancer doesn't make you a loser; it only makes you dead. You become a loser in how you react to the danger, not in the final outcome.'

Prince's eyes twinkled.

'So are you saying that FREE is a cancer?'

'Well, no,' was the reply, 'but then, I'm biased. I can see how you may think that, and I'm sure others will too. But I don't think so.

'But to get back to your real question. Let's look at what happened.'

Getting up, the man from FREE walked over to a bookcase and pulled out a thick book. He brought it back to the table and cleared out a place for it and then opened it up and began to flip pages.

'Look here,' he said. 'This is what we knew of GONG just before the war started. While Kuningas was on vacation, I spent some spare gold to investigate a few cities. And the only way we could do that we because of the embassy you established way back when. And I'm sure that you used your embassy to investigate our cities, which is fine. That is what embassies are for; controlled spying.

'This was all we knew of GONG. We knew that The Great Meleet' and here he paused while both of them gave the traditional Meleet praise offering (Both hand were placed in front of their shoulders, facing outward and open; as both right hands made a clockwise circle they said 'Wax on'; they completed the ritual by moving their left hands in a counter-clockwise circle and saying 'Wax off'.), 'had made the shape and features of our land the same as yours, but we did not know where your cities were located, much less their names or size. This was all we knew.'

Spoiler :

'And this was a far as we got with our inital invasion. Which was a lot farther than I expected.'

Here he had two pages joined together to form one big picture.

Spoiler :

'But that didn't last long. Once you got done you had recaptured almost everything.

Spoiler :

'We were left with some small towns on the coast. I was in Graceland while all this happened. I must say that the inital FREE incursion was shocking, but then I was also shocked by how much you were able to recover.

'But that recovery cost you a lot of units. As best I can tell, about 30 obsolete Warrior Divisions and 20 modern Infantry Divisions were lost in the initial attack and counter-attack. FREE lost over 20 Tank Divisions, but you got lucky and captured 6 Divsions of FREE artillery.'

'Plus, we still had 6 coastal cities. We managed to recapture Palace of the Brine.

Spoiler :

'But you still had the captured artillery. And you used them to weaken units so they could be killed. And you did well. All the cities that FREE had originally captured were now out of FREE's control. Some had been destroyed by FREE, others vanished when they were liberated. But FREE still had the small city of Whiskeytown on the north east coast.

'However, things weren't all that rosy. The war settled into attrition, but GONG appeared to be on the losing side.

'And even though some of your cities were gone, the strong culture of GONG dominated the land, hampering FREE and limiting the teal forces to picking off isolated units not in cities.

'Up to this point things were grim for you. FREE was slowly wearing you down, but the captured artillery was hurting FREE, too, in addition to the bomber and your own artillery. Your greater culture allowed you to keep the FREE forces mostly bottled up on the beaches and denied the open ground to FREE. Hard call to make, but it was effective.

'But now FREE managed something deadly.

Spoiler :

'They build a city near the ruins of Yellow Brick Road and they now controled the Oil of GONG. That had to hurt.'

'And recently, I've observed with my telescope many cities to the north and north east shining light blue lights into the sky. Whatever FREE has done, they did it quickly. As far as I can tell, this is the last city.'

The Commander of all of GONG had sat quietly throughout this lecture. His face was now drawn and pained, but he managed a slight smile.

'No, earlier today we liberated Graceland. So there are now two cities left.'

'Two.'

'Yes, two. Strong in culture but weak in military force.'

'True, very true.'

Silence and a sense of sadness filled the air.

'Sir,' asked CommanBob, 'what are you going to do?'

'What would do if this cancer were attacking your body, CommandoBob? What advice would you want to hear?'

'If the cancer were Green instead of Teal, I would have fought it off like you did. I don't know if I could have done as well as you did, but I would have fought as hard as I could and with everything I had. As long as I had hope I would keep fighting, and maybe even after hope was gone, just out of stubborness.' He paused. 'You had to take desperate chances at times. Some paid off, some didn't. Every decision was critical and could spell disaster if it was wrong.'

He looked him in the eyes.

'But now, now things have changed. I don't see any hope. I see only annihilation. I'm sorry, sir, but I think it is over. Two cities aren't enough. Further conflict will just waste lives for no reason.'

The other man stared back.

'My own people have told me the same thing. Two cities are not enough. But we shall not surrender; least of all surrender to FREE. By now, your partner, uh, Peter Parker as I recall, has been escorted to the city named Teal Landing. I saw him earlier today. He is fine.'

He stood up and went and opened the door and waved his arm. Out of the nighttime shadows two large men entered into the room. They were dressed like the Prince.

'This is Vinnie and this is Mack. Vinnie, Mack, in a few mintues we shall leave this room. When we do, take CommandoBob out of the city. Stay with him and keep him safe until you get to Teal Landing. Do I make myself clear?'

'Completely clear, sir!' they both replied.

'Thank you, now wait outside.'

The Prince closed the door behind them and turned back to CB. He grabbed him by the arm and walked him away from the door to the far corner of the room, where he released his hold. He spoke quietly and earnestly.

'I can't tell you or them what I plan to do, but The Great Library will never be part of FREE. I cannot allow that; my people will not allow that. But once that is done, all resistance will stop. On that you have my word. I won't waste my men in a foolish last stand, but we cannot finish this just yet.

'Vinnie and Mack are part of an elite force and are highly trained in some very specialized areas. They have served as part of my bodyguard for many years. They will protect you. Once that task is done, I expect you to look after them. They won't mistreat you and I don't expect you to mistreat them either.

'And one last thing. My wife and family was in Abbey Road, which is now part of FREE. I haven't heard from them and I am worried about their safety. Take care of them, please, until, until I can make other arrangements.'

'If I can find them, I will. And for a season, at least, they shall be guests in my home. So shall Vinne and Mack.

'Good enough?'

'Good enough.'

'Peace between us?'

'You and I? Yes. Our respective nations? No, not yet; maybe never.'

And then they turned, shook hands and slowly walked out through the door and into the night.

From here the story continues as told by PrinceMyshkin in The End of Gong.

It's a shame you didn't post how you actually did in the end manage to kill us off... Myshkin and I were quite shocked.

Nice post though ;)

Top Bottom