1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Leadership

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by Unionfield, Nov 13, 2008.

1. James009

James009 Warlord

I agree with everyone that the head of a department shouldn't have the final say on anything, however, they should be held responsible to see to it that that department or specific area is managed effectively and their advise should have some weight. For example, everyone in our civilization (or in the government) should be able to have an opinion on defense or intelligence, however, the Director of Intelligence should come up with a strategic plan or outline and have more advice on intelligence because that is his or her focus. If they don't do a good job or screw up then someone else should step in. In the long run these department heads or Directors would track their areas overall progress and maintain long term goals.

I also like the roleplaying possibilities :)

2. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I think we need a minister of getting the turn done. Someone who is responsible that we as a team always do our turn. Maybe setting up a rooster, planning ahead and anticipating holidays and so on.

3. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I`m against a row of departments, we are now only 15-20 player, I don`t see the reason. We need only a diplomat, who can formulate good messages.

We `ve a day for the turn,
    Only in the first turn there is much need of discussion,
    1. Where does the city found?
    2. Which tech research?
    3. Which direction reconnoiter
    4. What should the city build?

After this turn there is a long time only look, photograph, click, sometimes wait for confirmation of another team-member and then terminate. For this time we need only a correct schedule what to do, the first, who can, will do. If there is unexpected situation we need discussion.

btw
    I don´t know, if we can look, when another team is at turn? If yes, we can make more intelligence, because the F9-table has more changes, with connection to a appoint team.

4. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

That's an interesting idea. It is possible to look at any time, and see if the high or low opponent values on the demographics have changed between one team's play and another. I'm not sure though when the values change, if they are updated only at the beginning of turn or on each action taken.

5. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

In Pbems:
    The table change during the time, if you change the worker in the towns, there is also a change, so you can manipulate your own value to get with the rank the value of the other.

6. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I thought that in BtS you could only see the other teams in f9 if you have enough espionage points. :confused:

Certainly it will be a month or so before we achieve this.

The way the game will start is this:
    Sullla will make the map and test it.
    A start date will be decided.
    A few days before the start date Sullla (or ginger_ale) will send each team a screenshot of the start, so we can start discussing it.

Pretty exciting!

Also, I agree that there needs to be one person responsible for everything about the turn. The Turnplayer. Other things may be delegated (for example, tracking changes in f9, or developing citizen assignements to maximize production or research)

A separate person should be in charge of sending and writing letters to the other teams. It is best when a team speaks with one (preferably influential) voice. It can cause misunderstanding when several letters are sent, all from the same team, but from different people. It becomes hard to know who matters.

7. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

This is true for the charts in F9 showing score, food, power, etc. But the demographics overview screen is available from the start even if you don't know anyone. Here is a link to an article that explains it.

8. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

You can allways see the table and the best 5 cities and also which wonder is build.

The graphics show only teams, where you have enough SP.
    So it is best, you get the informations from the table.

9. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

So the team discusses all basic decisions in a democratic process and then the leader execute the decisons of his responisbility?

I would propose to take our active veterans as leaders. I think DaveShack would be a good turnplayer who could moderate our turn-discussions very good and peter grimes should be our first diplomat. Furthermore I would give HUSch the job as chief of our secret service.

10. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I volunteer for the 'Enemy Seduction Department'. :D

11. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

Talking about leadership i would say "KISS" "keep it simply stupid".

Avoid making severall departments, severall ways of deciding and keep it as simple as posible, the most complex stuff i would introduce for making decisions is pools.

what i would do thuogh is designate any single person that can take any decision about any issue not decided by the team when the turn is about to be made (i recomend him to be the turn player).

In other words, in the event that something happens not taked into acount and a decision needs to be make, the turn player has the rigth to decide what to do and has our compromise to support his decision.

For example: In an advanced game a worker ends its work and we dont notice until the turn is about to be moved --> the turn player decides where to send it next.

Another example: During war a unit raises a lvl unoticed, when moving it the turn player notices that --> he decides if its the moment for upgrading it and in case it needs to be upgraded wich upgrade will be chossen.

The point for that is that in general is better to do a bad movment than not doing any.

Other than that i recomend to stick with "talked consensum" or pools for taking decisions.

12. topas

topas Prince

I'd prefer it to be about as HUSch or Rantamplanzzz suggested.

We can discuss on every topic and the turnplayer plays the turn accordingly. In case of an undecided vote or a missed problem (like a new worker movement...) the turnplayer may decide upon his best knowlegde if we are runnig out of time.

Generally we can discuss (and vote if neccesary) each topic arising in seperate threads. (i.g. "embassy to team xyz", "the department of science", inteligence, ministry of war or city management and production (seperate for each city)...)
    It's probably a bad idea to assign one team member the a city or a specific topic as we might be working against eachother.
    (i.g. I'm in charge of a production city, which should build at best units, then some units and after that a couple of units, because we need them, while I'd like to have a fast library inbetween. The lib might be a good choice just looking in this city, but overall it's a bad idea because our empire has too few soldiers defending our borders or doing MP duty in our cap, which might be a great commerce-city if it could concentrate on economy...)

Finally most team members will actually concentrate on their fields of experience/interest by themselves.
    (some will look mostly into the diplo while others are more interested in planning a city placement and production or planning a wonder...)