1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Team name - the vote

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by Tinkerbell, Nov 23, 2008.

?

What theme shall we use for team name?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2008.
  1. Scientific

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Comics

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Historical

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Sci-fi

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

Let's do ISIS. It's just a team name. It us, the mad scientists, came up with a mad name, ISIS.:rotfl:

2. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I was confused by the poll options, so have not voted. Scientific could be either ISIS (the institution version) or CERN, and no clue what historical means. Unless those who voted for it meant the Egyptian version of ISIS. :confused:

3. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

In my opinion with historical the most players can be participate.

4. James009

James009 Warlord

This is quite a process, lol. Lets slow it down...

I voted for historical because I just didn't want to vote for the others. I didn't want to vote for the scientific one because I just don't see our civilization as scientific at all, we appear to be heading in a more warlike direction (based off some of the discussions and goals).

I didn't want to vote for ISIS because I just don't get it or know what it means. It also feels too Egyptian and we're not even discussing being the Egyptians.

Simular feelings on Sci-Fi, what is that?

We need something to exemplify our civilization and what it means. Why should we rush to define it when we haven't even settled it yet? I don't see any need to prematurely define it today.

I suggest we maintain Team 5 as our name until we get into the game, start expanding, and then define ourselves. We can change our team name in-game and get the moderators to change our forum name later.

I just think this is being rushed for the wrong reasons. So what if we don't select a team name today, we can do it tomorrow and it will be better for it.

5. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Procrastination for the win! :lol: Seriously, the reason for picking a team name is due to the fact that the CivFanatics moderators have to rename the team forums with the new names, and Thunderfall has said he'd prefer to do all five at one time. By delaying the selection of a team name, you're therefore inconveniencing the CFC staff, and the other teams who have already picked names.

Furthermore, selecting a name should be the first act of team organization. If you can't decide on something as trivial as a name, how will your team govern effectively? You've got a couple of days of down time before the game starts up next week. Why not use this time to get the name issue straightened out?

You're going to be the laughingstock of the other teams if you can't even decide on a name before the game starts! :D

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

7. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

:rolleyes:

At least Epsilon Team came up with a reason for the name ;)

Pentagonists :dunno:

8. James009

James009 Warlord

I still don't see the rush to deciding a team name now. It's not in the rules that we have signed that state that we must have a team name decided, I've never been one for "traditions" in gaming. I don't want to "inconvenience" anyone but I'd rather not select a meaningless team name just because we have too.

I'd like to point to back to history and use that as a lesson. Thucydides would say we're a typical democracy: We're impulsive and we have no real direction. Why play to those traits? Lets just wait it out, when a team name comes up that we agree on we can take it.

If someone wants to laugh at us because we are currently Team 5, do we really care? I'll just laugh at them for being Team ABCD or whatever... I'm just not a fan of impulsiveness like the rest of the flock is.

So, again, lets just wait it out, continue discussion of a team name, and when we find one we all like and agree on we can select that and move on. No harm done, the world doesn't end, and we'll be better for it.

9. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

We are playing a DG,
    democratic, we are a group and I think we will play good together
    game, it's a C4-BtS and that is our goal.

We don't need a name or a fixed structure to make both.

The best in C4 is, you can allways change the names and passwords etc.
    In C3 there wasn't a possibility.

10. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

You guys keep confusing the Team Name with the in-game names. :old:

We have to decide on a team name by Monday. Please stop infusing this choice with loads of meaning - it's simply Team name; something the other teams will use when referring to us. It can be related to the civilization names we choose in-game, or it might have nothing to do with those names at all. It doesn't have to reflect who we are, or how we plan on playing - in the first civ3 MTDG there was a team called M.I.A. - missing in action :crazyeye:

So enough with the pleas to delay a decision until all the planets are in alignment - this is REALLY not that big of a deal: we're losing perspective over this minor issue :gripe:

We have had several proposals, none of which have gotten much support:

1. Mad Scientists
    2. ISIS
    3. Marvel
    4. CERN
    5. Simplicity
    6. Crisis Managers
    7. Woodsmen
    8. Team Five!
    9. Pentagonists

Personally I prefer 1, 2, 4, or 7. But I won't cry if the team decides on one of the others.

I apologize for the tone of this post, but I've honestly lost just about all my patience on this topic. :sad:

11. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I suggest you make a multi choice public vote, I don't see any other way to settle.

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

*takes a deep breath* ;)

I have gone through the earlier thread concerning our team name, and I have read through this one as well. I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel :D

Several people have voiced support for a Historical approach to our team's identity. Many others have said that they like the idea of a scientific theme.

Perhaps a happy medium is a Team Name that incorporates both ideas.... a team name that is Historical, in the sense that we are standing on the shoulders of the giants who have come before us; and yet these Giants all had a similar quest for the truth: The Historians of Science

I admit the name is unwiedly. But before we reject the idea out-of-hand, consider the benefits:
    -Historians of Science incorporates all the ideas many of us have liked
    -HOS is a fine acronym
    -HOS can further be reduced to Historians [a really great theme - our civ is Making History ;)]
    -the scope of our inspiration ranges from Aristotle to Witten, across 2400 years
    -City Names can be drawn from a variety of sources: cities of great accomplishments (Princeton, Gottingen), birth-places of renowned scientists (Ulm, New York City), the names of scientists themselves (Descartes, Darwin) or even simply the names of concepts (Experimentation, Electromagnetism)
    -units can be named after particle classes, according to their class: Worker could be various force carriers; melee units after hadrons (don't forget - this is simply an idea, not a finalized plan!! :old:)

I urge all of my teammates to consider this proposal, in order to avoid the need of posting an extensive poll. However, if a formal poll is required, I'm prepared to administer it. It would be public, and people would be allowed multiple votes.
    12 civ options (not including HOS)
    Crimson Twilight
    Knights of the Round Table
    Woodsmen
    Manifest Destiny
    Bushmen
    ISIS [egypt]
    CRisis
    ISIS [science]
    The Republicans
    Marvel
    Crisis Managers
    Mad Scientists

13. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

14. cujo376

cujo376 Chieftain

I really like the HOS proposal

15. James009

James009 Warlord

I like the Historians of Science proposal as well, however, I'd like to suggest a small alteration. What about just the Historians? That way its more broad and we can do whatever we want with it. Perhaps we make a scientific city and name it after something science related, perhaps we have a militaristic city and name it Sun Tzu, perhaps we make a city that's a military production heaven and has gold so we name it Fort Knox.

We could also be whatever civic we select such as the Historian Republic or the Historian Empire... that would be awesome!

16. DaveShack

How about TWOAN?

Not a serious proposal, so don't go bandwaggoning on it unless you really mean it. ;)

I would find either variation of the historians suggestion an acceptable choice.

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

:hmm:

The Wealth Of A Nation :dunno: :lol:

Where'd you come up with that, DS?

18. DaveShack

Actually I messed it up, the O should not be there. :blush:

TWAN. Team Without A Name

19. topas

topas Prince

Team WithOut A Name

20. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

:lol: That makes sense now. Sort of like REM's cleverly named album Eponymous ;)