Team PBEM: First Strike II

Northerner

Warlord
I suppose Eivind's First Strike needs no introduction.

Rather than trying to gather enough players for a full game, or even trying to find just one other player for a duel, I wanted to propose a game of teams. That is, players may sign up to play as either the NATO or the nations of the Warsaw Pact.

Whether there should be any attempt to setting rules about who plays or when, I can't really say. Perhaps a free flowing game, where players can grab a go at playing a turn if they have free time when their team is up would provide a something to scratch the PBEM itch while the Imperialism game slogs along in its glacial pace.

Naturally, the new and shiny version gapetit posted some years ago would be the most natural to play.

So, is anyone interested?

NATO:

WARPAC:

Is Gapetits version ToT? Are you envisioning something like a democracy game?

Although I will say, if any of you have a "PBEM itch" I could certainly use some playtesters for Over the Reich. It has changed significantly since Prof. Garfield and I started our playtest and I'm quite interested to observe how two players uninvolved with the design would approach it.

If it's ToT I'd play but if MGE it's too much hassle as I don't have Internet on my XP machine and transferring back and forth would delay things too long.

Funny enough, I had considered expanding this game (and had tinkered here and there) to include some more Cold War unit types, some more cities, some more bushfire conflicts generated by events, using the tech slots made available by the redundant MGE obsolescence techs for civ specific units, and a few other features, but Eivind, whose on my Skype friends list, hasn't been online (at least on Skype on that account) for almost two years, so I haven't finished, and certainly not released, my planned expansions without acquiring his permission, at this point.

Pat, do you by any chance have a version where all the units homed to () have been homed to NONE or somesuch?

Many moons ago I went through Gapetits ToT version and fixed that up - the Soviet and NATO fleets are large, and most of them are not homed to any city at all. This is not a bother if the building of new cities is disallowed, but should any player build a new city, all the units hex edited to () will immediately be homed to the new city, and be disbanded dues to shield shortage the very next turn. Quite a WMD there!

I suppose it was a few years ago, but I did have a version where I had fixed that up. Rightly do not know what became of it.

Other than that, I wanted to propose an amendment to house rules.

To facilitate proxy wars, I suggest a rule where there is no upper limit on troop deployments.

For every single unit of heavy weaponry deployed (tanks, artillery, basically any machinery) two units of infantry must be deployed.

The cost of deploying troops would be as follows:

Light infantry: 250 gold
All other units: 500 gold.

(I suppose I should go over the unit roster and see if there are units that should be more expensive to deploy. Mobile howitzer, for one instance. Such weaponry is probably very expensive to maintain.)

Anway, that's a general idea. I certainly do not want to make it too complicated.

Top Bottom