Teamer game

Hey all, I've been missing the old teamer style games that were fairly commonplace on gamespy until it shut down a short while ago and wonder if there is any interest in having a similar gamestyle on here?

They are generally done on either the team battleground map or the Inland sea map and occasionally pangea, with Inland sea being favoured and a lot more forgiving to people who are new to the style of play.

They work well for 3v3 or 4v4s, anything larger and they are a little too defensive to work properly, and a team battleground becomes better.

It involves equal teams in an always war setting. With the teams researching together even though you are at war the tech pace is normally fairly good and it really allows you to experience warfare right throughout the ages, and is enjoyable to try to manage economy and military at the same time.

You really get to work together as you are in a permanent alliance essentially from turn one so everything is pooled effectively. You need to help each other and play to strengths of the traits and unique units you have.

As you can see on the attached example, on an inland sea the empires basically form up around the lake, with 2 front players and 1 back so to speak. This allows for a safe area from attack and the knowledge that attacks realistically are only going to come from one side, if you can keep a good sentry net on your borders that is. It also means that there can be someone on the team who is protected early who can build wonders for the team to benefit from.

There are many ways to win, from trying to grab more land early on and defend it to amount a tech lead, to keeping a small and compact empire early on and double teaming one of the other sides early on, to go heavy military techs and crush the more advanced team or later naval assaults across the waters.

The usual rules that are played are: random civs/leaders, no huts, no barbs, no events, always war, no spies (not no espionage, destroys the cultural pops), no oracle/SoZ and 2 city elimination limit. For the purposes of this to get things going I would probably ignore the 2 city elimination limit rule to give a lengthier game.

Generally sized on inland at small med sea for 6 players and small low or standard high for 8 players, giving enough room for 8-12 cities each depending on how you place them and who wins the settling race into no mans land between the teams. TBG is sized slightly bigger as the mapscript creates a smaller map.

If anyone has any questions I will answer them and hopefully we should be able to get a good game up and running, and I am happy to discuss changing any settings that people may want/feel is needed.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom